Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2019, 08:18 PM   #1

Maine vacation things learned.

So I took my wife on a "little" vacation this past 2 weeks. She is a seafood lover and has always wanted to see Niagara Falls. Just so happens there was a Lobsterfest going on in Maine during her birthday. Who wanted to be Husband Of The Year? This guy! The trip was absolutely better than I had ever thought it was going to be, I could really get into a bunch of details, but I'll spare the long read and just list the things I learned.

When traveling to the Northeast, buy an EZPASS in advance. It gets you through the tollways without stopping or making multiple trips to an ATM. My toll fees were over $150.

Traveling from the west side of NY to the east side cost $50 alone.

The Canadian side of the Falls is hands down the best. Canada totally kicks our butt on that.

Pretty sure having a personality as a Border Patrol applicant gets you immediately turned down.

My truck will do the Appalachian mountains. Well, technically it will. 3500 rpm in 3rd gear descending a 9% grade, still had to tap/ride the brake.

Check your brake system before leaving on a mountain trip. Gotta get that scheduled. $$$

There are lots of "Watch for moose" signs but never saw one.

There are no "Watch for black bears" signs but saw 2.

I think Connecticut is a metropolitan state (I-91 > I-84)

Forget about truckstops after Ohio

Vermont has absolutely beautiful nighttime skies. My wife got to view several satellites crossing the sky and saw a few meteors.

There's more backroad driving than interstate driving in Vermont/New Hampshire/Maine.

Just when you thought you were out of the mountains in Pennsylvania, (Billy Mays - But wait there's more!!!!) they hit you with round 2.

LOL Honestly these were not bad experiences, they are things to be aware of for my future travels. We had a blast and the wife is still reliving the memories of it.

Next big trip Ouray, CO 2020.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:38 PM   #2

Just wait until you get to go for months at a time!
Old 08-09-2019, 10:06 PM   #3

Sounds like a great trip... Colorado... you will really get to check your brakes...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:18 PM   #4

Good notes. Where are your picks?

I was in Ouray 3wks ago camping and just got back from niagra falls Wednesday without the camper. We drove to CO but flew to niagra due to time constraints. We are headed to Vermont in October for a wedding. Taking the trailer there. I think we like the same territories.

Rent a jeep and go off roading in Ouray. We did corkscrew gulch and engineer pass and a few others. You will love the area, Beautiful town and great people with lots of scenery.

When we went it was 95 degrees most of the way up Monarch pass and I was having trouble overheating. Lots of steep grades but nothing too difficult if you take your time. You will have similar experience in CO with grades of 6-8% but mostly 6% on average. Once over the pass temperatures dropped to reasonable and no more overheating concerns. KS was 105 (115 heat index) with a 30mph crosswind also causing overheating as well sadly.

Depending on where you are coming from it cost me $3.50 to cross ks on I70 with a k pass. Their system is not yet compatible with others outside of Oklahoma and ks... :-(. If you get off I70 to get there stop every chance you get for gas...they dont come too frequent.

First picture you can guess...had to get a hotel. Second is the ouray KOA. Great campground.

If you have questions happy to share our experience there.

BTW - The Illinois EZ pass works great and covers the whole east coast now all the way to FL.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190802_162836.jpeg
Views:	292
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	211957Click image for larger version

Name:	20190716_202453.jpeg
Views:	277
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	211958
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
Good notes. Where are your picks?

I was in Ouray 3wks ago camping and just got back from niagra falls Wednesday without the camper. We drove to CO but flew to niagra due to time constraints. We are headed to Vermont in October for a wedding. Taking the trailer there. I think we like the same territories.

Rent a jeep and go off roading in Ouray. We did corkscrew gulch and engineer pass and a few others. You will love the area, Beautiful town and great people with lots of scenery.

When we went it was 95 degrees most of the way up Monarch pass and I was having trouble overheating. Lots of steep grades but nothing too difficult if you take your time. You will have similar experience in CO with grades of 6-8% but mostly 6% on average. Once over the pass temperatures dropped to reasonable and no more overheating concerns. KS was 105 (115 heat index) with a 30mph crosswind also causing overheating as well sadly.

Depending on where you are coming from it cost me $3.50 to cross ks on I70 with a k pass. Their system is not yet compatible with others outside of Oklahoma and ks... :-(. If you get off I70 to get there stop every chance you get for gas...they dont come too frequent.

First picture you can guess...had to get a hotel. Second is the ouray KOA. Great campground.

If you have questions happy to share our experience there.

BTW - The Illinois EZ pass works great and covers the whole east coast now all the way to FL.Attachment 211957Attachment 211958
Thanks for the information. In Vermont, we stayed at the Kampfires resort. Very nice campground with lots of activities to do.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
BTW - The Illinois EZ pass works great and covers the whole east coast now all the way to FL.
Good to hear another someone say. I just got one for next week's trip from MI to ME.

Fro MI to Shanendoah NP, I think I paid over $60 toll each way. About swollowed my tongue when one toll lady said I owed $30.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
Good to hear another someone say. I just got one for next week's trip from MI to ME.

Fro MI to Shanendoah NP, I think I paid over $60 toll each way. About swollowed my tongue when one toll lady said I owed $30.
32 dollars for the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel, dual wheels and towing. Each way. $15. Bay Bridge US Rts. 50 and 301. One way, Eastbound. Same rig.
EdnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:30 PM   #8

We recently motored from our home base to Maine...about 2000 miles. Your bullet points are right on the money. Here's a few more:

* Our road infrastructure is really a mess. I'd say about 30% of the time (that's a lot in 2000 miles) we were on pretty pitiful roads whether that be interstate, black, or red coded. Batton down everything in your RV as you're going to think something's falling apart consistently.

* The toll station attendants (we didn't do the pass) are a lot nicer than the Border Patrol agents. (Imagine what it's like down on the southern border crossings!)

* If doing Canada, stop at the import-free store just before the border. Really great deals especially with the strength of the dollar in Canada.

* Even if you go to a non-tourist out of the way "Lobster Pound," be ready to pay a high price for that steamed creature. We laid $70+ down for lunch one day and sat on picnic tables in the heat to enjoy the delicacy.

And my last observation is the people of the New England area are very nice ONCE you engage them (they seldom were the first people to speak.) Not like the good-old south but fine people regardless. Had as much fun listening to their dialect as I'm sure they did ours!

OTR 2024-22 / 2023-29 / 2022-52
2021-51 / 2020-29 / 2019-71 / 2018-49
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:17 PM   #9

We used to live in Maine, it was like camping 365 days a year. Had the opportunity to drive all over the northeast and visit some of the greatest places. The falls, finger lakes, Vermont everywhere, the White Mountains, etc etc and last but not least the Maine lobster and clam chowder was to die for. My DW misses our house and the country their everyday, I imagine once I retire we'll be headed back for a few months.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:48 PM   #10

Headed for our biannual trip to ME

Heading up to Acadia NP at the end of the month. Hiking and mt. biking can’t be beat. “lawbstah” and “chowdah” to die for! In 30 years lots of watch for moose signs, no moose!
If you have the time, US 1 along the coast has the most spectacular scenery, blueberry stands, flea markets galore, and greatest seafood. Go where the locals go to eat, you will NOT be disappointed!
Camp on the “quiet” side of Mt Desert Island. Make sure to sit on Otter Cliffs for an entire afternoon!
Climb Precipice Trail ( as long as you don’t suffer from vertigo) and don’t miss the Beehive nor Jordan Pond House.
If you visit Bar Harbor, definitely try Moose Droppings and Lobster Ice Cream! Yup, real lobster in it!
On the western side, Thurston’s Lobster Pound and ANY small eatery in Southwest Harbor !
I can’t wait to get there!
Chief Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:27 PM   #11
SJB

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtp82 View Post
So I took my wife on a "little" vacation this past 2 weeks. She is a seafood lover and has always wanted to see Niagara Falls. Just so happens there was a Lobsterfest going on in Maine during her birthday. Who wanted to be Husband Of The Year? This guy! The trip was absolutely better than I had ever thought it was going to be, I could really get into a bunch of details, but I'll spare the long read and just list the things I learned.

When traveling to the Northeast, buy an EZPASS in advance. It gets you through the tollways without stopping or making multiple trips to an ATM. My toll fees were over $150.

Traveling from the west side of NY to the east side cost $50 alone.

The Canadian side of the Falls is hands down the best. Canada totally kicks our butt on that.

Pretty sure having a personality as a Border Patrol applicant gets you immediately turned down.

My truck will do the Appalachian mountains. Well, technically it will. 3500 rpm in 3rd gear descending a 9% grade, still had to tap/ride the brake.

Check your brake system before leaving on a mountain trip. Gotta get that scheduled. $$$

There are lots of "Watch for moose" signs but never saw one.

There are no "Watch for black bears" signs but saw 2.

I think Connecticut is a metropolitan state (I-91 > I-84)

Forget about truckstops after Ohio

Vermont has absolutely beautiful nighttime skies. My wife got to view several satellites crossing the sky and saw a few meteors.

There's more backroad driving than interstate driving in Vermont/New Hampshire/Maine.

Just when you thought you were out of the mountains in Pennsylvania, (Billy Mays - But wait there's more!!!!) they hit you with round 2.

LOL Honestly these were not bad experiences, they are things to be aware of for my future travels. We had a blast and the wife is still reliving the memories of it.

Next big trip Ouray, CO 2020.
Ouray is great. If you are looking for a really nice state park to stay at, go a bit north to Ridgway State Park. The Elk Ridge section (loops E & D) have lots of trees and sit at the top of a hill with views of the lake (reservoir). The sites have electricity and shared water hydrants between every two sites where you can hook up your hose to fill your fresh water tank. There are some full hookup sites in a section a bit farther north (below the dam). We go here every summer to hike and paddle and highly recommend it. To book a campsite, go to https://www.cpwshop.com/campinghome.page.

Oh, one other note, spring can come late to the mountains so think mid-June to mid-August for your trip.

Enjoy your trip to Colorado!
Old 08-15-2019, 01:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJB View Post
Ouray is great. If you are looking for a really nice state park to stay at, go a bit north to Ridgway State Park. The Elk Ridge section (loops E & D) have lots of trees and sit at the top of a hill with views of the lake (reservoir). The sites have electricity and shared water hydrants between every two sites where you can hook up your hose to fill your fresh water tank. There are some full hookup sites in a section a bit farther north (below the dam). We go here every summer to hike and paddle and highly recommend it. To book a campsite, go to https://www.cpwshop.com/campinghome.page.

Oh, one other note, spring can come late to the mountains so think mid-June to mid-August for your trip.

Enjoy your trip to Colorado!
Thanks, we booked a river spot for mid July. Hopefully the weather plays in our favor.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #13

We just put 2400 miles in through all the states. Our favorite place to eat was Alisson's in Kennebunkport, ME. We didn't get to see a moose either. Niagara is my 2nd favorite place to visit and yes, Canada has us beat there.

"Is this a game show?"
sugarray40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarray40 View Post
We didn't get to see a moose either.
The moose population in Maine has been declining due to winter ticks which
are pretty much sucking calves dry.
Duneit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:36 PM   #15

I'm at Seawall right now. But it's late and I'm tired. G'night.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:55 AM   #16
Retired Panpsychist

It's not in Maine, but if you head west from Rangeley, ME to Pittsburg, NH you will be rewarded with great moose-viewing on Rt. 3 from Pittsburg to the Canadian border. Folks have dubbed that stretch of road "Moose Alley".

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
It's not in Maine, but if you head west from Rangeley, ME to Pittsburg, NH you will be rewarded with great moose-viewing on Rt. 3 from Pittsburg to the Canadian border. Folks have dubbed that stretch of road "Moose Alley".
We were there last year because my wife wanted to see moose. She was disappointed. Although we went into the first town into Canada and had a nice dinner.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:52 PM   #18
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieL View Post
We were there last year because my wife wanted to see moose. She was disappointed. Although we went into the first town into Canada and had a nice dinner.
Sorry about that, Eddie! The two times I was there it was the third week in June and about 8:00 in the evening. We saw several females ("cows") and what appeared to be a very large buck crossing the road about 1/8 mile ahead of us. Reminded me of the bison in Yellowstone...but much taller at the withers. I'll try to find a photo.

2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Old 08-20-2019, 05:03 PM   #19
Retired Panpsychist

From 2010:

2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
Old 08-20-2019, 07:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
From 2010:

Thanks but wifey says it's not the same and you're just bragging.

Tags
cat