Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2019, 10:57 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Justice12t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Western, NY
Posts: 435
March Trip NY to NC to FL

Trip Details...

March 8th - 17th
* Leaving NY Friday after work
* Driving roughly 5-6 hours to a pull off in WV
* Next day continue on with trip
1st stop
* Tanglewood Campground around Winston-Salem NC
* Via I90, I79 and I77
* Looking forward to fancy gap, that is one of the few exciting things we
have here on the East side...lol
* 2 day stop
* de-winterize camper
* Visit local area, parks, trails, breweries, ect
2nd stop
* Hanna Park Campground around Jacksonville FL
* Via I77 and I95
* 5 days here
* Explore the local area, golf, trails, breweries, ect
* Thursday and Friday at the PGA Players Championship (Yeah Buddy)
Leave Saturday
* 2 day drive home

Anything I seem to be missing?? Time is short for us so I can't do a ton of side missions. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything. Looking forward to Fancy Gap, first big pull with our combination. Thanks!
__________________
2016 Prime Time Crusader 294RLT
2018 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD, CC, 4x4...ect

2018 Days Camped - 15
2019 Days Camped - 34
2020 Days Camped - 0
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:24 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 19,905
Make sure you get an early start leaving Tanglewood to head to Hannah park. I wouldn't want to navigate that park in the dark.

I absolutely love Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park. One of the more beautiful parks. March might be a little early for swimming but the beach is pretty nice there none the less.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:41 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Justice12t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Western, NY
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Make sure you get an early start leaving Tanglewood to head to Hannah park. I wouldn't want to navigate that park in the dark.

I absolutely love Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park. One of the more beautiful parks. March might be a little early for swimming but the beach is pretty nice there none the less.
Thanks ependydad! That is good to hear. Leaving early is in the plans, I want to try and get by Charlotte without too many issues.
__________________
2016 Prime Time Crusader 294RLT
2018 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD, CC, 4x4...ect

2018 Days Camped - 15
2019 Days Camped - 34
2020 Days Camped - 0
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:06 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Western New York
Posts: 1,330
Justice12t,
Make sure you clean the roads off for us. We head out of WNY on the 9th. Looks like the same route we will be taking. Heading to Clearwater then over to Lazy days.
__________________
2014 Coachmen Pursuit 31BDP
2016 Ford C-Max Energi
1987 Chrysler LeBaron Convertible
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:16 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Justice12t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Western, NY
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResQfrog View Post
Justice12t,
Make sure you clean the roads off for us. We head out of WNY on the 9th. Looks like the same route we will be taking. Heading to Clearwater then over to Lazy days.
I think you mean clean the road off of the campers! Safe travels, if you see us on the road shoot us a message on here!
__________________
2016 Prime Time Crusader 294RLT
2018 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD, CC, 4x4...ect

2018 Days Camped - 15
2019 Days Camped - 34
2020 Days Camped - 0
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:22 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Oaklevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,484
1st stop
* Tanglewood Campground around Winston-Salem NC
* Via I90, I79 and I77
* Looking forward to fancy gap, that is one of the few exciting things we
have here on the East side...lol
* 2 day stop
* de-winterize camper
* Visit local area, parks, trails, breweries, ect

Tanglewood is Ok we like Mayberry Campground in Mount Airy NC closer to I77 is Andy Griffith's Mayberry Hometown. But either is ok.

Looking Forward to Fancy Gap ?? Not sure we are thinking same thing but beware and careful on Fancy Gap Mountain I77 MM14 to MM1 in Virginia as dense fog is common. Wrecks on I77 are common in this area during the fog.


__________________

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:31 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Justice12t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Western, NY
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
1st stop


Tanglewood is Ok we like Mayberry Campground in Mount Airy NC closer to I77 is Andy Griffith's Mayberry Hometown. But either is ok.

Looking Forward to Fancy Gap ?? Not sure we are thinking same thing but beware and careful on Fancy Gap Mountain I77 MM14 to MM1 in Virginia as dense fog is common. Wrecks on I77 are common in this area during the fog.


Yeah I looked at all the reviews and places of interest and landed at Tanglewood. Thank you for the heads up, I am aware of all of that and hoping that will not be the case when we roll through. I more meant seeing how the truck does since this will be my first big pull since I've had it. I've watched YouTube videos on FG, both good and bad. But doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to it...
__________________
2016 Prime Time Crusader 294RLT
2018 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD, CC, 4x4...ect

2018 Days Camped - 15
2019 Days Camped - 34
2020 Days Camped - 0
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:37 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 505
Tanglewood is one of our favorite campgrounds...lots of space between sites and the campground is situated in a wonderful former estate with two 18 hole golf courses, an equestrian center, an aquatic center (probably too cold to.use, and many more features. Some sites aren't very level, but the host may let you switch if needed.
A word of caution about Hanna. We were there a couple of years ago and found some sites were very overgrown and difficult to maneuver into and out of. You may want to do a drive by your site before committing. Great park otherwise on a lovely beach.
__________________
DrLewie
Flemington, NJ
Former: 2007 Cardinal 30W LE
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:12 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Justice12t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Western, NY
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewie View Post
Tanglewood is one of our favorite campgrounds...lots of space between sites and the campground is situated in a wonderful former estate with two 18 hole golf courses, an equestrian center, an aquatic center (probably too cold to.use, and many more features. Some sites aren't very level, but the host may let you switch if needed.
A word of caution about Hanna. We were there a couple of years ago and found some sites were very overgrown and difficult to maneuver into and out of. You may want to do a drive by your site before committing. Great park otherwise on a lovely beach.
Thanks for the info. I will certainly try to do that.
__________________
2016 Prime Time Crusader 294RLT
2018 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD, CC, 4x4...ect

2018 Days Camped - 15
2019 Days Camped - 34
2020 Days Camped - 0
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:39 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
nc-canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 220
March Trip NY to NC to FL

Tanglewood is a great park. The champion golf course there is great. It is about 10 min from my house and our favorite course in the area. If you want to get through Charlotte on a weekday you need to either leave really early (by 5 am) or miss the morning rush hour and leave at 8 am. I find it is more relaxing to take the 485 bypass around Charlotte vs going through downtown and only about 5 min longer if you are coming down 77. Lots of great breweries in the Winston area (https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gre...6417b.amp.html ). I have tried them all and wiseman is my favorite. https://www.wisemanbrewing.com/story.

If you have time check out old Salem and the Salem tavern. Great area to walk around and the food at the tavern is outstanding.

Hope you have a great trip.
__________________
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W
2013 F350 Lariat Longbed 6.2L
nc-canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:13 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Justice12t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Western, NY
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc-canuck View Post
Tanglewood is a great park. The champion golf course there is great. It is about 10 min from my house and our favorite course in the area. If you want to get through Charlotte on a weekday you need to either leave really early (by 5 am) or miss the morning rush hour and leave at 8 am. I find it is more relaxing to take the 485 bypass around Charlotte vs going through downtown and only about 5 min longer if you are coming down 77. Lots of great breweries in the Winston area (https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gre...6417b.amp.html ). I have tried them all and wiseman is my favorite. https://www.wisemanbrewing.com/story.

If you have time check out old Salem and the Salem tavern. Great area to walk around and the food at the tavern is outstanding.

Hope you have a great trip.
thanks! I'll check out those links and that bypass. My GF stays away from gluten, any places with good ciders in the area?
__________________
2016 Prime Time Crusader 294RLT
2018 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD, CC, 4x4...ect

2018 Days Camped - 15
2019 Days Camped - 34
2020 Days Camped - 0
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 AM.