Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2019, 10:57 AM   #1

March Trip NY to NC to FL

Trip Details...

March 8th - 17th
* Leaving NY Friday after work
* Driving roughly 5-6 hours to a pull off in WV
* Next day continue on with trip
1st stop
* Tanglewood Campground around Winston-Salem NC
* Via I90, I79 and I77
* Looking forward to fancy gap, that is one of the few exciting things we
have here on the East side...lol
* 2 day stop
* de-winterize camper
* Visit local area, parks, trails, breweries, ect
2nd stop
* Hanna Park Campground around Jacksonville FL
* Via I77 and I95
* 5 days here
* Explore the local area, golf, trails, breweries, ect
* Thursday and Friday at the PGA Players Championship (Yeah Buddy)
Leave Saturday
* 2 day drive home

Anything I seem to be missing?? Time is short for us so I can't do a ton of side missions. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything. Looking forward to Fancy Gap, first big pull with our combination. Thanks!

Days Camped in last 3 years - 79
Planned Days in 2021 - 50
Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:24 PM   #2
Always Learning

Make sure you get an early start leaving Tanglewood to head to Hannah park. I wouldn't want to navigate that park in the dark.

I absolutely love Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park. One of the more beautiful parks. March might be a little early for swimming but the beach is pretty nice there none the less.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Make sure you get an early start leaving Tanglewood to head to Hannah park. I wouldn't want to navigate that park in the dark.

I absolutely love Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park. One of the more beautiful parks. March might be a little early for swimming but the beach is pretty nice there none the less.
Thanks ependydad! That is good to hear. Leaving early is in the plans, I want to try and get by Charlotte without too many issues.

Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Old 01-25-2019, 02:06 PM   #4

Justice12t,
Make sure you clean the roads off for us. We head out of WNY on the 9th. Looks like the same route we will be taking. Heading to Clearwater then over to Lazy days.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResQfrog View Post
Justice12t,
Make sure you clean the roads off for us. We head out of WNY on the 9th. Looks like the same route we will be taking. Heading to Clearwater then over to Lazy days.
I think you mean clean the road off of the campers! Safe travels, if you see us on the road shoot us a message on here!

Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Old 01-25-2019, 02:22 PM   #6

1st stop
* Tanglewood Campground around Winston-Salem NC
* Via I90, I79 and I77
* Looking forward to fancy gap, that is one of the few exciting things we
have here on the East side...lol
* 2 day stop
* de-winterize camper
* Visit local area, parks, trails, breweries, ect

Tanglewood is Ok we like Mayberry Campground in Mount Airy NC closer to I77 is Andy Griffith's Mayberry Hometown. But either is ok.

Looking Forward to Fancy Gap ?? Not sure we are thinking same thing but beware and careful on Fancy Gap Mountain I77 MM14 to MM1 in Virginia as dense fog is common. Wrecks on I77 are common in this area during the fog.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
1st stop

Tanglewood is Ok we like Mayberry Campground in Mount Airy NC closer to I77 is Andy Griffith's Mayberry Hometown. But either is ok.

Looking Forward to Fancy Gap ?? Not sure we are thinking same thing but beware and careful on Fancy Gap Mountain I77 MM14 to MM1 in Virginia as dense fog is common. Wrecks on I77 are common in this area during the fog.

Yeah I looked at all the reviews and places of interest and landed at Tanglewood. Thank you for the heads up, I am aware of all of that and hoping that will not be the case when we roll through. I more meant seeing how the truck does since this will be my first big pull since I've had it. I've watched YouTube videos on FG, both good and bad. But doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to it...

Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Old 01-26-2019, 01:37 PM   #8

Tanglewood is one of our favorite campgrounds...lots of space between sites and the campground is situated in a wonderful former estate with two 18 hole golf courses, an equestrian center, an aquatic center (probably too cold to.use, and many more features. Some sites aren't very level, but the host may let you switch if needed.
A word of caution about Hanna. We were there a couple of years ago and found some sites were very overgrown and difficult to maneuver into and out of. You may want to do a drive by your site before committing. Great park otherwise on a lovely beach.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewie View Post
Tanglewood is one of our favorite campgrounds...lots of space between sites and the campground is situated in a wonderful former estate with two 18 hole golf courses, an equestrian center, an aquatic center (probably too cold to.use, and many more features. Some sites aren't very level, but the host may let you switch if needed.
A word of caution about Hanna. We were there a couple of years ago and found some sites were very overgrown and difficult to maneuver into and out of. You may want to do a drive by your site before committing. Great park otherwise on a lovely beach.
Thanks for the info. I will certainly try to do that.

Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Old 01-27-2019, 12:39 AM   #10

March Trip NY to NC to FL

Tanglewood is a great park. The champion golf course there is great. It is about 10 min from my house and our favorite course in the area. If you want to get through Charlotte on a weekday you need to either leave really early (by 5 am) or miss the morning rush hour and leave at 8 am. I find it is more relaxing to take the 485 bypass around Charlotte vs going through downtown and only about 5 min longer if you are coming down 77. Lots of great breweries in the Winston area (https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gre...6417b.amp.html ). I have tried them all and wiseman is my favorite. https://www.wisemanbrewing.com/story.

If you have time check out old Salem and the Salem tavern. Great area to walk around and the food at the tavern is outstanding.

Hope you have a great trip.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc-canuck View Post
Tanglewood is a great park. The champion golf course there is great. It is about 10 min from my house and our favorite course in the area. If you want to get through Charlotte on a weekday you need to either leave really early (by 5 am) or miss the morning rush hour and leave at 8 am. I find it is more relaxing to take the 485 bypass around Charlotte vs going through downtown and only about 5 min longer if you are coming down 77. Lots of great breweries in the Winston area (https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gre...6417b.amp.html ). I have tried them all and wiseman is my favorite. https://www.wisemanbrewing.com/story.

If you have time check out old Salem and the Salem tavern. Great area to walk around and the food at the tavern is outstanding.

Hope you have a great trip.
thanks! I'll check out those links and that bypass. My GF stays away from gluten, any places with good ciders in the area?

Days Camped in 2021 - 0