Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2016, 01:33 PM   #1
Fireman

Send a message via AIM to dutch
michigan

I'm trying to map out a trip from Pittsburgh Pa to Michigan and back having my first stop In Holland, than on too Traverse City then to Mackinaw City and Bay City and stop at Detroit Ford Museum and then home. Has anybody been in these areas that can recommend some good camping grounds? We have a 38' ft MH with a toad. Thanks
US Air Force Retire SMS
dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:51 PM   #2
Bae

I have been to Holland state park it is very nice, clean bath house with family showers. The Michigan state parks only have electric for hook up. You have to fill your water or top it off when you pull into the park. All the places you are going have a lot of camp grounds in the area. We are going to St Ignace state park in a couple weeks, everyone tells me its great.

18 nights planned so far in Michigan 2019
11 night planned in Georgia 2019
4 nights boon docking Kentucky 2019
Bae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:18 PM   #3

Only suggestion is to make sure to visit Greenfield Village, next door to Henry Ford Museum and if at all possible, do it in the fall.

f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:09 AM   #4

Nice. My wife and I are going to Grayland, MI and Hell, MI in two weeks. When I made the reservation for Hartwick state park they advertised modern facilities with full hookups. I just don't understand the passport thing. I guess we'll find out when we get there.

Happy Camping!

2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5'7" Bed
4 X 4 Engine 5.7L Hemi Gear 3.92
Airlift 1000
2015 2809W Windjammer (Diamond Package)
Husky Centerline WDH
ov845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:35 AM   #5

We are new to the RV scene but do live in the metro Detroit area. What we have found so far is that the DNR has a real nice online reservation site where you can input RV length for search purposes. https://www.midnrreservations.com/MichiganStateParks, Many counties also have parks with camping. There is a real nice state park downriver that is probably your best bet when visiting Henry Ford Museum. We have also found that if you call the specific park you may be interested in and are just in need of an overnight site. They will do their best to fit you in. Be aware though, most state parks will provide the necessary electric power, have water fill and pump-out stations, only a few have full hookups. If you want to be real close to Traverse City, or Mackinaw City, your best bet is a private RVpark.

Hope this helps
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ov845 View Post
I just don't understand the passport thing. I guess we'll find out when we get there.
In August 2010 Election, Michigan had a ballot issue which changed the funding for the DNR, who is charged with handling the state park system from using a portion of the state budget along with daily and annual park passes.

The ballot issue changed the funding for the DNR to using Hunting and Fishing licenses, etc. and the recreation passport fees. This ballot issue basically forbid the legislators and governor from stealing park monies for their personal projects. Needless to say, it passed by a landslide.

Michigan residents now have the option of paying an additional $11 for an annual recreation passport for their Automobile/RV, (Motorcycle recreation passports are $5) when they renew their license plates or they can pay it the first time they visit a park should they choose to enter. The passport is good for the same length of time that the license plate is.

With the passport, we gain access to all state parks, state forests, and many state monuments (you still need to pay a daily fee for campsites). We also no longer pay a fee to use the state boat ramps.

It has been so popular since its inception that the DNR has more money than it ever had and thus has been able to make huge improvements in the park system over the last 6 years.

Here is an article about how well the recreation passport has worked.

Bridge • The Center for MichiganFive years later, state parks Recreation Passport a financial success

A daily non-resident pass will cost you $9 while an annual non-resident pass is currently $31 which is good until December 31 and can be purchased either online, if you have enough lead time or a park office.

https://media.state.mi.us/michiganes...&productID=896

Hope this pretty much covers the Michigan Passport questions.

Should you have anymore questions concerning visiting Michigan feel free to PM me and I will do my best to help.

BTW, If you choose to go through Detroit, Take a trip to Belle Isle, now that it has become a state park and the Michigan State Police have taken over policing it a great place to visit.
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:38 PM   #7

My son lives off of Textile road outside of Ypsilanti. We stayed at the Greenfield RV park which off of exit 192 ? east of Ypsilanti. It is vet nice and not too far from the Herny Ford and Greenfield village. l
radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:02 AM   #8
Fireman

Send a message via AIM to dutch
Thank you everyone for you input, Radman I did make reservation at Greenfield that looks like a nice campground.
US Air Force Retire SMS
dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:35 AM   #9

Dutch, the Traverse Bay RV Resort is a real nice place. It is a little pricey but very clean and quiet. It is located on M72 in Acme just a short drive into the city. We are very familiar with that area and if you would like more information pm me and I'll send you my number.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:38 AM   #10

Dutch, heading on a similar heading as yours starting out at Yankee Springs recreation area, Holland, then working our way up the west coast. Staying a state parks for the whole trip, booked online through Michigan's DNR website. Easy to navigate though I found the areas of each park could be a little more precise, but Google Maps took care of that. Enjoy your trip as I am sure my DW and I will ours!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch View Post
I'm trying to map out a trip from Pittsburgh Pa to Michigan and back having my first stop In Holland, than on too Traverse City then to Mackinaw City and Bay City and stop at Detroit Ford Museum and then home. Has anybody been in these areas that can recommend some good camping grounds? We have a 38' ft MH with a toad. Thanks
Just a FYI when you book online at a Mi state park the Fee (Does NOT) include the 9$ a Day or 31$ a Year "Usage Fee" if you have a MH and Toad that is X2$! Everybody must pay the Usage Fee for Mi State Parks! Youroo!!
Old 07-14-2016, 11:15 AM   #12

We went last year from Pittsburgh to Holland/Saugatuck/Grand Haven area and stayed at the Allendale/West Grand Rapids KOA and it was nice except for the Mosquitoes at night but can't hold them accountable for that. We then moved on to Traverse City KOA to see Traverse City/Sleeping Bear/Leland area, mostly the campgrounds were our base and I would do it again if and when we go back.

Phil
2017 Ford F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 6.7L Powerstroke
2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W
fil564 is offline   Reply With Quote