Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2015, 08:34 PM   #1

Need help with a location to camp.

With the 2016 Fall Colors a few months out. I was looking for a camping location in the Smokey Mountains to use as a base camp for photography. Any and all assistance would be much appreciated.

In return, I'm willing to offer photographers the advice of locations in Southwest Florida during the winter months.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:18 PM   #2

How long will you be staying? The closest state park which will be the best rate by far is Panther Creek State Park outside of Morristown, TN. It has been remodeled and they have some full hookup sites now. Also you can make reservations on line for up to a year in advance. Another nice state park is Day Crockett Brithplace State Park outside of Greeneville, TN, again full hookups and an online reservation system. Did you want TN or NC?

SternHappens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:26 PM   #3

smoky mtn rv parks

we stay in townsen tn at big meadow rv park great place good owners on the quiet side of the mt, hope this helps jim hill
jim r hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:11 AM   #4
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLPhotographer View Post
With the 2016 Fall Colors a few months out.
Assume you meant '2015 Fall Colors a few months out' but nonetheless, that's just plan cruel. At this time of year, fall colors and the impending winter can never, ever be far enough away!

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:28 PM   #5

Blue Ridge and Smokey Mountains

We are Canadians/Winter Texans and are always looking for different ways to head to Texas in the Fall. In 09, we decided on the Blue Ridge/Smokey Mountain route. Since we had a 38' Class A, we found campgrounds along I81 and used the toad to tour the area. One of our favourite campgrounds was Mayberry Campground in Mount Airy, NC. Beautiful area, great touring roads and fall colours. There are also several good campgrounds around Asheville, NC. When travelling we most always use PA and Good Sam parks after having checked them out on RV Park Reviews. So far, so good. Have a great trip.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:20 PM   #6

Roger that my mistake 2015 Fall Season
Old 05-23-2015, 09:00 PM   #7

Last year we stayed at Indian Creek CG in Cherokee, NC and enjoyed it. Near the park, towns & TN.

Enjoy. From a PA photographer
GypsiesAtHeart2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:49 PM   #8

Camp Sites

You may want to check out the KOA in Cherokee,NC. Great mountainous area around the Smokies.
Loneeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:54 PM   #9

I would suggest staying on the East side around Maggie Valley, Cherokee, and Bryson City. I have stayed many times in Creekwood Farms RV park and once in Bryson City at Smokey Mountain Meadows. Close to the Park, Blue Ridge Parkway and several good mountain roads with old farms and such for back drops. Better make reservations early as they get booked up. October is the peak in that area.
Ke5rbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 04:20 AM   #10

We heading to Mayberry Campground from our Florida to Ohio trip. We love this place! What a view! Thanks for the reminder of what's to come.
speedozeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:24 PM   #11

Last fall we stayed at Pine Mountain RV Camp in Pigeon Forge, TN. Super clean, nice people and easy to get in and out for that area. It is a bit pricey but offers a Good Sam discount. We liked it so much we were scheduled to go there again earlier this month but had to cancel due to family illness.
vinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:21 PM   #12
Just Love to Camp

In Virginia right off the parkway. Misty Mountain Camp Resort in Greenwood Virginia. Less than a mile off of 64

2012 F450
Virginia
TheFordes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:34 PM   #13

Nice. Hope the weather is good.
Camping Days 2013 - 24
Camping Days 2014 - 21
Projected Camping Days 2015 - 30
Loneeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:41 PM   #14

I stayed in Pine Mountain RV Resort a couple years ago, and I was very impressed. The campground is top notch, the pool is great, and the bathrooms are the best I've seen..

It's on the east side of Pigeon Forge. The Smoky Mountains area is huge, so it depends on where you're looking to setup your base. Pine Mountain is far enough away from the touristy stuff to be an issue.. It's a quick drive into the park area, but depending on where you're going, your drive may be an hour or more..

2 Kids
sequoiaguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:51 PM   #15

I'll 3rd the Pine Mountain suggestion. It is our favorite camping spot in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area, but I really don't like the area.....the kids do.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:31 PM   #16

Somewhat related info...Maggie Valley is the home of the"famous"
Wheels Through Time museum. Over 300 different antique motorcycles and one of the best of it's type in the USA. Dale Walksler and son run this collection. I say RUN because they actually start and run these beautiful pieces of antiquity. These are motorcycles that have been ridden!!
They are NOT like many museums where bikes are drained and preserved for beauty.
He (Dale) is there most of the time.
Put this on your must see list! It is inexpensive admission and a memory builder. It is family friendly, not a biker hang out and no bar near it.
Last time we were there, Dale took my Down Syndrome son on a thrill ride over his several acres in a WWII Army motorcycle with a sidecar!!
I have been to the famous Peterson Museum in California and HALL OF FAME motorcycle museum in Pickerington, Ohio. This is better!! You can "touch" many of these classics!!
Photography was never a problem in past visits.
U.S. Army Signal Corps motto:
Think; Go; Do.
😄
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, location