Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2015, 11:25 PM   #1

New Orleans

Has anyone got experience with the RV park near the French Quarter in New Orleans thinking about going there over Christmas. It would be our first experience with urban camping.
Buckeye Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:30 AM   #2
Always Learning

I've heard good things about the RV park but heard that outside of it is a rough area. If/when I go to NO, that's where I'll stay.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:25 AM   #3

Camped at the French Quarter. It's gated, very secure. My wife and I walked the area, had no problems.
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:32 PM   #4

We stayed here....Pontchartrain Landing Cam, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112 - 6001 France Rd, From Jct of I-10 exit 239B, exit to Louisa St N, N 0.2 mi (lt) to Chef Menteur, E 0.4 mi (rt) to France Rd, N 1.1 mi, GPS: 30.01592, -90.03245
Nice park near the water, in an industrial (boat building) area. Arranged tour from campground.

FLBrutus
FLBrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:45 PM   #5
geezer with gadgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Traveler View Post
Has anyone got experience with the RV park near the French Quarter in New Orleans thinking about going there over Christmas. It would be our first experience with urban camping.
We stayed here last summer.

French Quarter RV Resort - French Quarter RV Resort

Great experience. You will be driving in the city to get there, but the directions from the staff were spot on. A little expensive, but the location was great. Taxi will pick you up and drop you off at your site. $6 each way for 2 people. Hostess was very friendly and helpful. Site was brick pavers and very level. Pool, etc. on site. If you stay here you should be able to enjoy New Orleans. Happy Camping!!

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:15 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Traveler View Post
Have you been to this area before? If not, I can probably give you a few pieces of advice on what to do and how to get around the Vieux Carre' area cheaply and easily.

I should be back down there for our high school football championships the second weekend of December.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:01 PM   #7

I have been to the area before but it has been years. Seems like a lot of people are suggesting walking during day but cab at night to and from campsite.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:45 PM   #8

French Quarter RV Park: Very nice park, Brick Paver roads, sites are expensive. The surrounding area around the park is like any big city: a little urban, watch for anyone looking for tourists or easy targets. Just be aware of your surroundings, don't be "flashy". Be smart about who you talk to.

Ponchartrain Landing is a very nice park, dirt roads, sites plenty but close together. This park too is in a more "urban" area, so same precautions apply. Not a far drive to the French Quarter from this campground.

If you are looking for a swamp tour: Honey Island Swamp Tours offers a pretty good tour for about $20.00 per person. Reservations are required.

The French Quarter Haunted History walking tour is a great tour. The tour covers about 4 blocks and it usually is during the day so the stories are scary, but the tour isn't. The horse and carriage tours usually cover the same area/information but those tours are much more expensive and the information given is usually a little more condensed due to time constraints.

If you are interested in seeing any of the New Orleans Cemeteries, it is better to go with one of the tour companies rather than go alone. Thieves have been known to hide between the tombs and rob people as they walk by. Again, just be aware of your surroundings.

The New Orleans Aquarium is along the River Front. There are tour companies that offer a tour that consists of The Aquarium then a River Boat Ride to the Audubon Zoo for 1 price. Usually about $30-$40 per person. You can also take the St. Charles Avenue Streetcar all the way to the zoo. The Streetcar goes through "The Garden District" (which has beautiful homes) it also passes in front of Tulane University before ending at the zoo. That Streetcar line makes a giant circle if you just want to ride to see the sights.

Across the Mississippi River Bridge is Blain Kern's Mardi Gras World which is a huge warehouse where the Mardi Gras floats are stored. There is also a museum that showcases Mardi Gras history.

Most people that have seen pictures of New Orleans will recognize Jackson Square. Inside Jackson Square there is St. Louis Cathedral which is open to the public (unless there is a mass going on). Also in Jackson Square there are 2 museums. One has The Katrina Museum and the other one has History of New Orleans. Both museums give discounts for retired and active military. Jackson Square is usually where you will see many "street performers" and artists.

Across from Jackson Square there is Cafe' DuMonde where you can get coffee and Beignets (which are French donuts). About 2 blocks down is the French Market where you can buy New Orleans food, drinks, and souvenirs.

While in New Orleans try the food! We have several fabulous restaurants but warning: the food is ADDICTIVE!! Once you taste it, you WILL come back for more!

Enjoy your stay!
Karen
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:05 PM   #9

Thank you Karen, some great suggestions that we will definitely try out.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:09 PM   #10

Huh?? You didn't show us all those places when we were down there Karen. Lol. Good info. Guess I'll have to come back for another tour.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:58 AM   #11

Russell,
I guess next time you will have to grant us more that 1 day for a visit!!!!! Not my fault!!
2011 Honda CR-V toad
Old 11-19-2015, 10:43 AM   #12
Site Team

We love the World War II Museum. They are constantly expanding and adding new stuff. I think it consists of 5 buildings right now. Even if you are not a history buff, it's still worth going just to see the "Beyond All Boundaries" movie. My son has to see this each time we go to New Orleans. It's very interactive with the seats shaking, smoke, snow, burning oil smell, kamikaze strikes, etc.

I could stay there all day, as they have canteen live shows and other things going on. There are also veteran volunteers there sometimes. It's worth your time to be able to talk to the greatest generation who are just about gone.

The National WWII Museum | New Orleans: VISIT: Beyond All Boundaries

I was looking at a map and the campground is just northwest of the French Quarter per se.

We usually stay in a hotel on Carondelet, which is just right across Canal Street from Bourbon Street. I highly suggest using the streetcars when available and are on a route you may be partaking. These routes will be on the South, East and somewhat West end of the French Quarter.

You can actually get day passes which allow you unlimited access to all the streetcars and/or buses in New Orleans, which cost $3 per day per person. I usually order a 3 day jazzy pass online ($9) and have them shipped to my house. They only activate and the clock starts the first time you use them either on a streetcar or bus (the machine that takes your money also takes the pass you have). It's a lot easier to keep up with these passes than keeping exact change $1.25, each time you get on one.

You can download apps for you phone that let's you see where streetcars/buses are and also you can text a number at each each stop that will text you back the next time of expected arrival. If on Canal street, there are three streetcar lines intersecting and you can use any of them to go up and down it. You can travel to the south end of Canal (at the MS River) and then get on the Riverfront line and go to Jackson Square. Here is a site for that. I would recommend just looking at the maps/routes of everything. Once you kinda learn the routes, you can judge which ones you need to get where.

You can use the St. Charles streetcar line to to get you to within one block of the WW II Museum (get off at Lee Circle)

Welcome to the New Orleans Regional Transit Authority: Cleaner, Smarter Transit.

Streetcar Schedules & Maps

Also at the southeast end of Canal, there is a ferry that crosses the MS River over into Algiers Point. This is fun to take and there are some things over there in the second oldest neighborhood in New Orleans.

http://nolaferries.com/

There have been other great suggestions for things to do, and walking the French Quarter is the best way to see it all. Everything is within walking distance if you have the time (an Old Steven Wright joke). Take time at Jackson Square to watch all the street performers and artists. As also stated the food, is fantastic. My daughter insists we eat at Pat O'Brians when we go down there. She loves their shrimp and grits and their famous hurricanes. She also loves eating in their open courtyard, especially at night with their fountain and such.

Pat O'Briens : : New Orleans : : Orlando : : San Antonio

Are you going to have children on this trip, or is it adults only. I can offer more suggestions depending on the audience.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:26 AM   #13

Hi wmtire,
You are right, the WWII Museum is fabulous! They have put together a moving wonderful tribute to all of our Veterans and the struggles of war! Meeting the Veterans that volunteer there is quite an honor! It always brings back memories of my dad's "war stories".
You and I should go into business together, we could start up one heck of a tourist company! (I didn't know Pat O's served food! I never get past 1 hurricane!).
Next time you are down in New Orleans maybe we can all get together!
Karen
2011 Honda CR-V toad
Old 11-19-2015, 12:09 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post
Hi wmtire,
You are right, the WWII Museum is fabulous! They have put together a moving wonderful tribute to all of our Veterans and the struggles of war! Meeting the Veterans that volunteer there is quite an honor! It always brings back memories of my dad's "war stories".
You and I should go into business together, we could start up one heck of a tourist company! (I didn't know Pat O's served food! I never get past 1 hurricane!).
Next time you are down in New Orleans maybe we can all get together!
Karen
Karen, I am trying to get down there this December if our boys can make it to the state football championship. Pat O's actually has some real good food to go with those drinks.

I'm ready for a career change, so let's talk.

We want to see if white gold are street performing on Bourbon again near Pat O'Brians. We saw them doing this in May, and had to go back the next night and watch them again. it was impressive.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:16 PM   #15

Yes, those guys are still down there. We saw them last time we were down there (it was the day of the Saints vs Dallas game..... which the Saints WON!! Who Dat!!).
We also saw the guy that does knife throwing and the guy with the "dead dog" in the casket in Jackson Square. (No, the dog isn't really dead. Just well trained). Golden Statue and Silver Statue guys were down there too. (nice guys but not much on conversation). And of course the Vampire Couple (they didn't show up in any of the pictures we took for some reason............)
Send me a PM before your visit and we can try to arrange a get together.
Karen
2011 Honda CR-V toad