Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #1

New York City

I am planning a trip (driving, not camping) to NYC next week. Seeking advice on parking somewhere ( perhaps at a hotel) on the outskirts and getting transit into Manhattan. Any suggestions on what sight seeing I should do, if I should purchase a day tour package, etc. Mostly interested in where to stay and park the night before and night after. Don't want to spend a barrel of cash. I drove there a few years ago, but then I just srove around the city looking at buildings from the car. Didn't stop, only to spend a couple of hours at Time Square. Don't want to take the car into Manhattan this time.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #2

Wife and I typically park at the village owned municpal parking adjacent to the Croton-Harmon Train Station, north of the city, just off of Route 9A. The lot is easy to acces, well patrolled by the village PD, relatively inexpensive, you can catch the Metro-North into Grand Central Station every 30 minutes or so, and minimal weekend cost. AMTRAK to Penn is also available here, but much more expensive, and doesn't run as often.

As for tours, I'd recommend the Grayline tours, the double decker busses where you can sit top-deck and see the sites are great for orienting yourself to the city. They also have a FANTASTIC around Manhattan Boat Tour which runs completely around the island. It's a bit more expensive than just a Harbor Tour, but worth it.

If you have minimal time, and just want to see the Statue of Liberty up close, but not stop, take the Staten Island Ferry from Battery Park to SI and back. Price is great - it's FREE! Take a few minutes in SI to wlk-up the waterfront to the SI 9/11 Memorial. Nicely done, and it offers a great view across the harbor to lower Manhattan.

If you want to goi to Ground Zero, you need to go on-line ASAP to get the fre tickets. No ticky - no entry. Still lots to see in that area, even if you don't get tickets.

As for other sites, places to eat, must see's, or any other questions, fel free to ask away! (I've spent a LOT of time in NYC fo worlk!)

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #3

Typically, I just park at the airport. Probably the cheapest. You can catch a cab or the train into manhattan, depending on which airport. JFK probably easiest since the train goes there.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #4

Depending on which way you are coming from, I found it best to park at the train station and ride the train in. I agree with the double decker buses. That's the best way to see as much as possible and the guides are usually pretty good (except when they get political). If you are planning on the Statue of Liberty, buy your ticket in advance.
Kathyrarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #5

Travelling from north. Would like to get a hotel room near a train station.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #6

If you are coming from the north, Stanford,Conn is a good place to catch the train and hotels in that area should be reasonable.
Kathyrarnold is offline   Reply With Quote