Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2021, 09:28 AM   #1

Nickerson State Park out-of-state rip-off

We have been staying at Nickerson State Park on Cape Cod a week in the summer for the past 20+ years. Last summer, the rates were $22/night for Mass. residents and $44 for out-of-state, when we booked. Suddenly, the rates are now $75/night for out-of-state and still $22 for Mass. residents. This is for a boondocking site with no water or electric.

Is this an across the board increase for all Mass. parks or just Nickerson? It seems that they want to heavily discourage out-of-state visitors.

I was hoping that this was just a COVID thing, but it doesn't look that way.
Old 04-28-2021, 01:20 PM   #2

That’s Taxachusettes for you.
Old 04-29-2021, 03:09 AM   #3
Defender of America

Towns on Cape Cod are notorious for exorbitant rates for out of Towners and tourists because although they like the money you spend they're not thrilled with all the traffic. The number one complaint from full time residents is "TRAFFIC"! Locals go to the various organizations and vote on proposals for budgets and upgrades. Of course they want to minimize their expenses so they pass it off to visitors because they don't get an input. Many visitors to the Cape are from NY and NJ where the cost of living and incomes are significantly higher than those on the Cape so they are used to higher rates. Just for reference you should see the huge price difference in beach stickers for residents versus tourists. On some issues it gets so heated I believe some would rather close the bridges to all "outsiders".
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:44 AM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

wow, 75 bucks for a boondock site? Unreal. Better off heading South. Water is too cold up there anyway.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:58 PM   #5
Retired Panpsychist

Nickerson SP is one of our favorite dry camping spots in our state. Last year they had several of the camping loops shut down due to the extra work of keeping the restrooms/showers cleaned more frequently during Covid.

I did check the prices for last year and it was also $75 for out-of-state campers. You might want to check with either the Sweetwater Forest Campground (508-896-3775) or the Shady Knoll Campground (508-896-3002). They are both in Brewster and near the Cape Cod Bike Trail. Both have full hookups and run in the $55 to $60 range for back in sites. Of the two, we found Sweetwater (and its oak/pine forest) to be very much like Nickerson but without the ponds.

PM me if I can help further.

P.S. You can purchase a day pass at Nickerson and use their bike trails and swim in their (warm) ponds. Nickerson is only about 10-15 minutes away from either of the aforementioned campgrounds.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:47 PM   #6

Being devil's advocate for a moment. If this is a Mass. SP it was most likely created with tax money paid by Mass. residents. They may have complained that all their tax money was benefitting out of state residents and suggested the higher rates to discourage out of state campers from filling the camping area. I've seen similar in other public recreation areas, especially in my state with county run facilities. Two rate structures, residents and non-residents. Colleges have done this forever. Ditto for hunting/fishing licenses.

I can see the logic even though I wouldn't like it.

Now if it was created by the "Feds", or with Fed money, that's a whole different ball game.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:19 PM   #7

I think this is a result of COVID. I make a few trips up to Salisbury Beach State Reservation every season and last year the DCR was only using every other campsite to spread everyone around the park last season. Given there was less campsites, the DCR increased the rate on out of staters to probably discourage them and give MA residents the best opportunity to stay there since it’s our tax dollars that go to the parks. That was last season and I’m not sure if they’re using every other campsite again this season (I think they might be) but that’s why your seeing the rate being what it is. Unfortunately that’s the way it is right now. As a resident of Massachusetts sorry to the out of staters for the rate increase but I’m not sorry that I’ll still can book a campsite in a state park
TBeri01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 12:56 PM   #8

I 2nd Sweetwater as a really great campground. If it wasn't on Cape Cod I would go back there. in a second! However, one visit was enough for me to visit the "Cape". As it has already been written, they love the tourist $$$$ but hate the tourists.

Perhaps my helpless tax until no tomorrow state, New York, can reciprocate and charge folks from Mass. four times the average rate, about $26, for our beautiful state park campgrounds so I too can go to my favorite SP and have room. Soon this parochial attitude would percolate across the country to every state. By then you will have the newest Netflix series, Campground Wars!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 10:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
By then you will have the newest Netflix series, Campground Wars!
You joke, but I'd pay to watch that show...
Brake Controller: Curt Echo
PDuB-IA2MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 06:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawac14 View Post
We have been staying at Nickerson State Park on Cape Cod a week in the summer for the past 20+ years. Last summer, the rates were $22/night for Mass. residents and $44 for out-of-state, when we booked. Suddenly, the rates are now $75/night for out-of-state and still $22 for Mass. residents. This is for a boondocking site with no water or electric.

Is this an across the board increase for all Mass. parks or just Nickerson? It seems that they want to heavily discourage out-of-state visitors.

I was hoping that this was just a COVID thing, but it doesn't look that way.
Must not like out of towners!
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 06:56 AM   #11

We have seen price increases in every type of RV park we visit. Some a little, some a lot. Covid is the excuse. But they are all full and in high demand, so I think that is what is driving the price up.
NM still restricts it's state parks to NM residents only as part of the covid rules. I like it as we can actually use them and they are not packed with Texans as usually happens
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 10:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
We have seen price increases in every type of RV park we visit. Some a little, some a lot. Covid is the excuse. But they are all full and in high demand, so I think that is what is driving the price up.
NM still restricts it's state parks to NM residents only as part of the covid rules. I like it as we can actually use them and they are not packed with Texans as usually happens
Basic economics. If you have a product to sell, raise the price until sales fall off. Then adjust down until sales come back then maintain a price that keeps all of your product moving.

The "experts" have been warning that one fallout from "Covid" will be potentially high inflation. It appears that they are right and even Camping (in "Parks") will be more expensive just like Automotive, Housing, Food, Fuel, etc.

We may see inflation like back in 1980 when the Fed Funds rate was 18% and a home mortgage could have an interest rate in "double digits" (12-15%).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:51 PM   #13

You are correct TitanMike I bought my first house in 1982. My initial interest rate was 16%. I paid that for 4 years or so and refinanced to 9.6%. What a difference a couple decades can make.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 10:07 PM   #14

I've run into different RV site pricing in some western states. Locals get local rates since they pay taxes to the county, others pay more. It's not uncommon.

Another example of this is out-of-state tuition at major universities. Out of State students sometimes pay 3 times more for the same education.

Hotel rates include 12% or more Transient Occupancy Taxes, that locals with regular long term leases don't pay. Basically it's stick it to the outsider for having the audacity to vacation here.
nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote