Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2019, 02:00 PM   #1

NJ to Daytona in February

My wife and I are going to make the trip to Daytona for the 500.
Has anyone made this trip and can offer some tips.

We have a Coachman Apex 208BHS . The plan os far is to drive to North Carolina the first day and then Daytona on the second day. Three days later the same in reverse.
Mike Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Busch View Post

We have a Coachman Apex 208BHS . The plan os far is to drive to North Carolina the first day and then Daytona on the second day. Three days later the same in reverse.
77/26/95
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:05 PM   #3

Quote:

couple of 80 somethings then 77/26/95
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:32 PM   #4

I would do 2 days driving a car but not the MH. 3 days at the minimum. Where you leave from in Jersey and how you go down has a big affect on driving time with an RV.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I would do 2 days driving a car but not the MH. 3 days at the minimum. Where you leave from in Jersey and how you go down has a big affect on driving time with an RV.
X2
2017 Ford Fiesta toad
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:07 PM   #6

We are in North Jersey. 5 min from 153 on Parkway. I will be pulling the TT with my 2018 Colorado. I am thinking two 8-9 hour days should do it.
Am I being to ambitious?
Old 12-29-2019, 03:16 PM   #7

Quote:
We are in North Jersey. 5 min from 153 on Parkway. I will be pulling the TT with my 2018 Colorado. I am thinking two 8-9 hour days should do it.
Am I being to ambitious?
We leave from Waretown, 1/2 mile from exit 69 on pkwy. We always take at least 3 days. You have to account for traffic, weather and stops.
2017 Ford Fiesta toad
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Am I being to ambitious?
We are in Delaware going to the race as well. Leaving on February 11th
have been doing it for the last 5 years of so. We take our time, leave
Delaware stop in Fayetville Rv Park, and then drive to Ga and stay
at Darrin Island in Darrin Ga, then on to Port Orange.
Leave at the begining of March stay at Green Acres in Waterboro SC, and then
to Carolina Crossroads in NC, then to Delaware. Great places to stay all have
pull thru's, easy in, easy out
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:23 PM   #9

From South Jersey. 40 mins from Delaware memorial bridge. Pulling a 42' 5er, Ram 3500 DRW. Running 95 all the way. I would be splitting the run in 2, and allowing for weather which may make it a 3 day trip.
That's what Im planning at the same time frame to be in Lake City Fl. for the beginning of the Dirt mod south tour, Then down to Volusia County from there.
CAUTION behind this truck is A contagious disease!!!
Its called Camping!!!
kirk37r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:54 PM   #10

Not a trip I'd look forward to.

After 20 minutes on I95 you'll realize why the AutoTrain exists and why their phone number is 1-800-HATE-I95 (not really ). Can't bring your trailer, though.

If you run down thru Delaware you'll miss Baltimore and DC traffic which is a zoo 24/7.

-- Chuck
Old 12-29-2019, 03:58 PM   #11

Quote:

Am I being to ambitious?
Wait till you hit the Carolinas. This traffic out there can be horrendous! We came south from Jersey before Thanksgiving and got off 95 ASAP. I think we averaged 40 mph.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:59 PM   #12

2 eight hour days is 800 miles, way short.
Quote:
Am I being to ambitious?

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 04:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Not a trip I'd look forward to.

After 20 minutes on I95 you'll realize why the AutoTrain exists and why their phone number is 1-800-HATE-I95 (not really ). Can't bring your trailer, though.

If you run down thru Delaware you'll miss Baltimore and DC traffic which is a zoo 24/7.

-- Chuck
Naw, we go 301, 207, to Ruthers Glen, some red lights, but not bad.
Hit 95 just above Richmond. Easy ride.
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:11 AM   #14
Always Learning

I peaked your profile and it appears you're from Clifton, NJ. Here's a Google Map link from there to Daytona, FL:

https://goo.gl/maps/mEEFneE1vbUp3o697

Sticking with I-95 most of the way (except for Baltimore, you can't go through either tunnel in Baltimore with the amount of propane most of us carry), you're looking at 1,050 miles.

We tend to plan for our traveling average runs us about 50 mph once we factor in rest stops, fuel, and meals. So 1,050 miles = 21 hours on the road.

I would tend to push up to about 600 miles that first day. Maybe stop at South of the Border for the night. They have (or used to have) an RV park. If you're into Walmarting, the Dillon, SC Walmart was a decent stay for us.

That gives you a shorter (but still long day) of driving the next day.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:40 PM   #15

Get reservations! Otherwise the closest RV parks May be as close as Orlando but don't count on it.
Old 12-30-2019, 04:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I peaked your profile and it appears you're from Clifton, NJ. Here's a Google Map link from there to Daytona, FL:

https://goo.gl/maps/mEEFneE1vbUp3o697

Sticking with I-95 most of the way (except for Baltimore, you can't go through either tunnel in Baltimore with the amount of propane most of us carry), you're looking at 1,050 miles.

We tend to plan for our traveling average runs us about 50 mph once we factor in rest stops, fuel, and meals. So 1,050 miles = 21 hours on the road.

I would tend to push up to about 600 miles that first day. Maybe stop at South of the Border for the night. They have (or used to have) an RV park. If you're into Walmarting, the Dillon, SC Walmart was a decent stay for us.

That gives you a shorter (but still long day) of driving the next day.
South of the Border has expanded it Camp Ground with more room to grow.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:06 AM   #17

I guess I was being a little to ambitious. It makes sense to plan 3 days to travel.
This will be our first long trip with the trailer why try to push to hard.

I am going to order new tires this week. I don’t want to do this trip on the Castle Rock tires. I have read to much on here to take that chance.

I store the trailer in a heated indoor space at my warehouse. I have blown out the water system and drained the water heater because I realize it could be very cold when I leave NJ. I plan on bringing the compressor with me to be able to do it before I get back to freezing weather.

Is there anything else I should be thinking of before or during this trip?
Old 12-31-2019, 09:11 AM   #18

Standard, often ignored daily checks: Run tire pressure at maximum sidewall pressure and check the lug nuts. Don't be surprised to find some or even several under-torqued (use a torque wrench). If you find any loose check again when you refuel.

-- Chuck
Old 12-31-2019, 12:32 PM   #19

Quote:
I guess I was being a little to ambitious. It makes sense to plan 3 days to travel.
This will be our first long trip with the trailer why try to push to hard.

I am going to order new tires this week. I don’t want to do this trip on the Castle Rock tires. I have read to much on here to take that chance.

I store the trailer in a heated indoor space at my warehouse. I have blown out the water system and drained the water heater because I realize it could be very cold when I leave NJ. I plan on bringing the compressor with me to be able to do it before I get back to freezing weather.

Is there anything else I should be thinking of before or during this trip?
Take some antifreeze with you to at least dump in the p traps, if you are not running thru your whlle system.
wayne272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:08 PM   #20

I used to come out of SE PA so my routes could be close for you.
Most Direct:
On this route in Baltimore you will have to go east of Baltimore over the Francis Scot key bridge because no propane is allowed in tunnels in Baltimore).
Than South of the Border was exactly at 1/2 way point from us. They have a nice little campground, pull threw sites, gated.
it appears to be 9.5 hours driving time from your house.
----------------

This is my "get er done" route. this route its boring and watch out for winter driving on lower 81/77 as you go through the gap.

You can go out through PA to get to 81s to 77 to 26 to 95, honestly that is the way I go from SE PA to my new home north west of Orlando, its marked as 1 hour longer but I hate Baltimore/Washington/Richmond that much. I use truck stops when I go this way (or drive straight through if my myself)
-----------------------

This next route has a couple ways to go towards the end. I was too far west to use this route, but I hear many New England snow birds use it:

Come down 95 to Wilmington, south on RT 1 and RT 13 (past Dover track) across the Chesapeake Bay bridge tunnel to Norfolk

than:

a)Than you can take 64/264 straight through Norfolk, than 58 across to 95 at Emporia.

or
b)you can go south of norfolk and pick up 17 to 95 at Rocky mount NC and find your own campground more inland.

or
c) (my choice)
take 64, and go south on 158 out onto the Outerbanks, Kill devil hills, nagshead. below nagshead is 64 west that goes over Roanoke island back to 95 at Rocky mount NC.
BUT just below 158/64 if you go about 6 miles south on RT 12 there is a national park campground (no electric/water/sewer but you can get water and dump across the street at the marina) Not sure of seasons for campground but you can walk over dunes and your on the beach.

Choice C would be about 8 hours for that first day. should have high temps in the lower 50's that time of year but it could be windy. accept for a couple fisherman you will have the place to yourself. And if you get to do a day surf fishing great
--------------

than next leg could be to Savannah GA.
just under 8 hours puts you in Tybee island

or as close as you can get to old city Savannah and take a tour to riverstreet and old Savanaha
I would expect High temps in the 70's (around the same as daytona)

---------
Than next day is 4 hours to Daytona so you would have time to get into where your staying at Daytona and get ready for race.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote