Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2020, 02:20 PM   #61

I realize that someone said the park in question might have done this due to social distancing requirements. I'd like to debunk that.. the campers in the area where I've stayed (twice at this particular park) are nowhere near 6' of each other. Probably closer to 10-12 '.

This is purely a money-grab and snobbery at it's finest. The park was expensive before because there aren't many other good options around there. It's out of the question now for most families. Totally in their rights to do this.. I'm just really dissapointed.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:31 PM   #62

I have seen this in The Texas Hill Country near rivers. The reason is the sights are packed in like sardines and there is not room to open units with side by slides if they open right next to each other. If it is the same reason you probably don't want to stay there anyway. You might get the Covid from your neighbors if there is a breeze. Can you imagine some ones slid that close to your PUP?
Fish N Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:43 PM   #63

Having stayed there before several times and knowing a couple of owners they have consistently had issues with TT coming in and tearing the place up; kids driving gulf carts; disregard for quiet hours; violation of rules; etc etc
ENGINEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:30 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Then you certainly don't want to stay where we stayed in February and March this year. And correct, we'll never stay there again.

Yes, 2.5" between the one window awning and the other's slide.

Did you catch that each RV is facing the alternate way because the hook-ups for each site are next to each other?

With 3.5" between the sewer and the fresh water.

That sewer "mushroom cap" was, ummm, interesting. If you pulled the black tank dump valve out at normal speed you got a literal s**t storm blasting out from under the mushroom and all over your fresh water stuff.

Open the picture of the permanent house and zoom around. Notice what is on the truck's windshield? It couldn't go anywhere because two of its tires were flat.

Ray
how is that legal .isnt there fire laws in place.There is a campground in PA jockey hollow .it was the same way.one match and they all go up.
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:32 PM   #65

Me too! 15 of my 30 years in Germany! All over the place at different times! Wife Gerda & I were married in Darmstadt, Germany! Our two now adult daughters Heidi & Anna grew up camping in tents, VW Campers, and an Apache travel trailer! A tent in Italy south of Venice! They & their families are both avid campers! Prosit! Dan & Gerda
Dan n Gerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:33 PM   #66

Well Engineer, I don't see what a TT with or W/O a slide out has to do with Parents that don't make their heathens' mind. I am almost 70 and I have some friends that are older than I am and they have Diesel pushers with slide outs on both sides and I assure they don't tear up anything. Now if you are talking about Pop-Ups and Hybrids belong to families with younger children then that is a different issue. My wife and I have a Pop-up because we cant afford a diesel pusher and we like to keep the RV at home and the HOA does not allow them in the driveway. We are not RV'ers we are campers. If I wanted or could pay for all of that luxury. I would sit at home by the pool which I do have. We have towed an off road tear drop around White rim trail a two day trip. We have been to the hole in the rock where the Mormons crossed the Colorado river with same Trailer. We are not ready to spend days in a RV park watching our neighbors have fun. If that is what you are referring to.
Fish N Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:33 PM   #67

Yep

We just stayed there 2 weeks and while in the office buying ice they were calling people to verify reservations and inquire what type RV. If TT or 5th then they asked if they had slides and if yes they cancelled their reservation. I politely asked why and got told “don’t know. New rules”. I said we won’t be back even though we really liked the place. Oh well. Their loss. And to think we were contemplating buying a spot but not if can’t rent !
Watercop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:38 PM   #68

Someone needs to tell them "Slide Lives Matter" :-)
CCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:39 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyote61 View Post
I see no reason to get used to it. In our state and many others we have COE parks, state Parks and National Parks by the hundreds to use. Most of those are better kept than Private RV parks and with the Old Bastard age pass, cost is anywhere from 12 dollars to 24 dollars a day. I have no problem if others want to pay the high prices. And sell my rig??? Get real.
Actually I mostly pay $0. National Forest and BLM land abounds out here. There are ATV areas and lots of dispersed camping areas...many of which you can have to yourself.

I use the Ultimate US Public Campgrounds App to find places.

I also use boondockerswelcome.com. It too is free to me because I offer a site and get 3 months use everytime someone visits. This is a banner year.

I will pay half price at Federal owned sites; e.g. Forest Service and COE. Usually $9 or $10.

Occasionally use State Parks, Municipal CGs, and county Fairgrounds. Most $20-30 with electric. County Fairgrounds extra available this year.

KOAs etc. off my list...to say nothing of higher cost RV parks.

Georgetown 30x3 w 2 slides and Cherokee toad. Unless I bring motorcycle instead.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:47 PM   #70

They changed the policy...

we have been going there for years, staying a week at a time or more. but we can't now as we have a TT with slides. Someone posted on their FB page about it and there were over 60 comments... but they all disappeared. each lot is individually owned so they do have an HOA I think. We are not happy about it and others that have had reservations were called and told they can't come. This is really crazy and hopefully will find out more in the days to come..... Not sure this was the lot owners fault from what I understand.

Read the policy:
https://www.hiltonheadharbor.com/policies
howard623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:38 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
That is chump change don't consider going here then

https://www.newportdunes.com/stay/rv-resort/

There high end sites are around $500 per night.
Lol. They don’t even have a properly working mobile website. $500 for a parking spot? Capitalism at its finest.
Jdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:46 PM   #72
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrew View Post
Someone needs to tell them "Slide Lives Matter" :-)
🤣

Such antique language. Bumper pulls and tip outs. The only tip out I have ever seen was at one of the Smithsonian museums.
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:47 PM   #73

The is another up the road from there called Hilton Head Motorcoach Resort. Stayed there last year. Class A only, all sites are privately owned. Snobbery at its finest. No intentions of going back.
Frank DeFeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:06 AM   #74

There is a lawsuit against the property owner’s association. The owner of the marina, apparently, bought the rights to the 50% of the rental fees that goes to the resort. Those monies were supposed to be used for marketing, running the resort (management) and upkeep of infrastructure, etc.

The marina owner is suing because it thought it was going to be able to force the lot owners to give up use of their lots thereby generating income for the marina owner. One of the allegations is that the HOA isn’t enforcing the ban against slides (actually any width over 8’) and full-time residency. A number of the lot owners have parked 5th wheels on their lots year around and never allow the lot to be rented out (thus “depriving” the marina owner of income).

I belong to a group on Facebook that has been discussing this. I had reservations there for September and was called and told that My reservation wa cancelled because my 832 IKBS had slide outs!

The lot owners are taking the marina to court as we speak.
jimmackeysc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:28 AM   #75

Typically when ever I have seen no 5th wheel or slide outs it is at a old campground, or old part of a campground. The one I am familiar with is the "old" part of the campground and you could not even drive a small 5th wheel around the loop road without hitting trees. This particular campground has plenty of "new" camping spots where slide outs and 5th wheels are allowed. And allowed means "you probably won't hit trees".
Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:56 AM   #76
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Looks like they only want Airstreams and motorhomes. The motorhomes are not included in the ban on slideouts.

... other than the short-lived run of Airstream slideouts! (No, I've never seen one in the wild and they're ~15 years old at this point.)

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:00 AM   #77
Site Team

There are tons of TTs out there with no slideouts. Not just Airstreams. Just looking at the FR website I can click on pretty much any make/model and find at least 2 or 3 floorplans with no slide-outs.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:06 AM   #78

Forest River makes travel trailers without slides - I own one.
2018 JGC Limited 4x4 w/tow
MarkDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:31 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
POA normally stands for Power Of Attorney.

BTW: Thanks for your service. What did you do in the Army?
It could also mean Property Owners Association. That is what we have in our community as we have a fair amount of lots with no houses.
Roger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:11 AM   #80

Motor coaches only.

We spoke to them two weeks ago, because we were going to go down there in December. When we last heard there was no restriction so my husband called them When we were unable to make a reservation. Their homeowners association with their permanent lots have decided that motor coaches are in their best interest so there will be no travel trailer type trailers or fifth wheels allowed according to the manager. I would assume this includes the airstream type. So there is no Place to stay on Hilton head for those of us with nice fifth wheels and travel trailers
carolnmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, mpg, slide, slide out