Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2020, 12:06 PM   #81
Commercial Member

No slide out campground

I love beer too after 4 tours in Deutschland.[/QUOTE]

Paulaner and Augustiner are my favorite German beers
Bugs Off Pads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 12:49 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGINEER View Post
Having stayed there before several times and knowing a couple of owners they have consistently had issues with TT coming in and tearing the place up; kids driving gulf carts; disregard for quiet hours; violation of rules; etc etc
Unfortunately, those problems are not uncommon anymore in a lot of campgrounds.

Dogs off leash. Teenagers roaming thru the campground without regards for peoples site and privacy. Music blaring. Loud obnoxious screaming.

Yes, I am getting too old to put up with RUDENESS. I always try to make the least amount of impact on my neighbors enjoyment. Too bad some don't.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:00 PM   #83
OldSoldiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchLiebeBier View Post
I only got 1 tour there. Great time.
Germany X2, VN X2, Turkey, Korea, Okinawa, Fiji, Australia, India, Thailand, Iraq, and a few more over a 33-year career in the Regular Army.
OldSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:02 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
Unfortunately, those problems are not uncommon anymore in a lot of campgrounds.

Dogs off leash. Teenagers roaming thru the campground without regards for peoples site and privacy. Music blaring. Loud obnoxious screaming.

Yes, I am getting too old to put up with RUDENESS. I always try to make the least amount of impact on my neighbors enjoyment. Too bad some don't.
This is why there are some parks with age limits. Younger weekender families, and older retired folks, don't always play well together. We know to expect a louder, more active crowd on weekends, so we try to have patience. We do enjoy the quiet during the week when it's just us old farts. Of course there are even older RVers that get upset with us 'younger old farts'. LOL!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:03 PM   #85

So they pretty much locked out a good 60% of RV owners. My last trailer had no slides, but at all campgrounds I have been to, mine was the only no slide unit. Just a wild estimate, 20% MH, 80% trailer, and 60% have slides. It is what it is.

I made a mistake buying the trailer we did, locked us out of state parks due to the length. Not many state parks allow over 40' trailers. Mine is 42'.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:06 PM   #86

I really don't recall the last time I saw an RV with no slides that wasn't at least 20 years old
I know they exist, I just haven't seen any personally.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:13 PM   #87

Well Cyote61,

I don't rightly know where that Hilton Head place is but, it sounds to me that it is close to San Francisco or Washington D.C. I am just not sure there might even be two of those Hilton Head places none the less there won't be any of my dollars spent there(:>) I hope those folks are happy there. I surely don't want them to get any Southwest dust on them rigs. It would take them a month to clean them after driving down the Shafer Switchbacks at Canyon Lands. And believe it or not I have seen tour busses on the Shafer Switchbacks. One trip to Gods country and they would be parking them at that Hilton Head place and trying to rent them out and get some sort of back country R/V. In the American Southwest you cant see 5% of it unless you have a high clearance 4WD vehicle. Some of those trails/forest roads you can't drive in one day so you would need some type of off road camping trailer, outside shower, porta pottie and a shovel to cover all that up with. My hands stay cleaner digging a hole with a shovel than dragging an orange rubber slinky around and trying to wash that out. Ask Robin Williams if he was still around. That big ole bus he drove around in the movie RV could have led to his demise. No really, all the different r/v's out there is what makes camping cool. My wife and I laugh at the daddy warbucks sitting in their RV's we have seen them pull in. hit the auto leveler system. Hook up the water, sewer, electric, and raise the TV antenna and never see them again until they pack up to go. We call those folks honey mooners which I don't have a problem with that either Of course we are not there except for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I am sure they laugh at us setting our PUP up and all that is involved in that. But, when we have the GK's they want to be at the river or lake, riding bicycles, things like that and I can't sit inside and watch them.

My wife was talking to the dog on our last trip and said to her that the neighbors complained about her chasing people on a bicycle. The dog said she is lying because I don't even have a bicycle.
Fish N Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:50 PM   #88

We were there in July and loved it. I think they have a restriction on the age of your unit but didn't know anything about slide-outs. Alot of very large travel trailers and class A units. Great location and very nice people.
Old 09-01-2020, 02:59 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolnmark View Post
We spoke to them two weeks ago, because we were going to go down there in December. When we last heard there was no restriction so my husband called them When we were unable to make a reservation. Their homeowners association with their permanent lots have decided that motor coaches are in their best interest so there will be no travel trailer type trailers or fifth wheels allowed according to the manager. I would assume this includes the airstream type. So there is no Place to stay on Hilton head for those of us with nice fifth wheels and travel trailers
If everyone stop going to Hilton Head it will change.My opinion they can stick there campground where the sun dont shine
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:57 PM   #90

No slide outs?

I say blacklist them. I think they are trying to go the same way as the other motor coach resort on the island. There is now no camping on Hilton Head. Soon to become a private island?
Westcliffgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:27 PM   #91

I had my first reservations to stay there for Friday September 4th through September 8th. Two weeks ago they called to ask if my camper had slide outs? I said "yes it does" then she said "we no longer accept campers with slide outs and we are canceling your reservations."
I couldn't believe it! Bad business! I'm now without reservations for Labor Day weekend for our family trip.
These reservations were made months ago and they certainly should have honored them.
Sorry for the rant, this was very disappointing!
Sandrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:32 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmackeysc View Post
There is a lawsuit against the property owner’s association. The owner of the marina, apparently, bought the rights to the 50% of the rental fees that goes to the resort. Those monies were supposed to be used for marketing, running the resort (management) and upkeep of infrastructure, etc.

The marina owner is suing because it thought it was going to be able to force the lot owners to give up use of their lots thereby generating income for the marina owner. One of the allegations is that the HOA isn’t enforcing the ban against slides (actually any width over 8’) and full-time residency. A number of the lot owners have parked 5th wheels on their lots year around and never allow the lot to be rented out (thus “depriving” the marina owner of income).

I belong to a group on Facebook that has been discussing this. I had reservations there for September and was called and told that My reservation wa cancelled because my 832 IKBS had slide outs!

The lot owners are taking the marina to court as we speak.

This makes sense, if the lot can't be rented out then then you can't make money so if the force a rule in place that forces owners to move campers then they assume it can be rented out. It comes down to money and control. Why someone would sell 50% of thier rights and not expect change is interesting though. I feel bad for those who had a reservation just got burned.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:10 PM   #93
PhD, Common Sense

At least two people have reported that the campground has cancelled their reservations because the CG rules changed.

If the campers made a deposit, there was a contract between the campers and the CG. To me, that means that the CG is in breach of contract. Can the campers whose reservations were canceled collect damages other than the return of the deposit? I don’t know. I hope so.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:03 PM   #94
Going Solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
Hilton Head Harbour RV Resort.

Saw a write up on this campground. Looked very nice. War Department enjoys beach area camping.

So we check the web page and......!
No slideouts on travel trailers or 5th wheel allowed. Beginning September 1. ??? What???

Called and spoke to a lady that has no idea why. Except for a POA restriction. Have no idea what that refers to. Not an HOA?

I can't imagine business not going down hill.

Any body ever here of a CG doing this??
They only want Class A Motorhomes. Was interviewed for a work camping job this past spring. I was hired and ready to roll. Then they found out I had a C Class. Cut me off at my knees. The owner is right "proud" of that Campground.
tjwdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:55 AM   #95

The family is headed towards Hilton Head tomorrow in our Class C with slides! I came across this thread while searching for a place to stay. Does anyone have any other recommendations in the area? Looking to ride bikes and play a little golf and tennis. Close enough to the water to bike there, would be great. Doesn't have to be Hilton Head Island, but in the general vicinity.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:41 AM   #96

Hilton Head Motorcoach Resort
Frank DeFeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:03 AM   #97

We went to Rivers End CG in Tybee Island SC. It's near Savannah for golf. Great biking all over the island. We saw tennis courts close by and several places to access the beach.We rented a golf cart and it was worth its weight in gold. Golf carts park for free at the beach accesses and you can drive them all over the island except on the main road. Check it out. We also love James Island CG in SC. I think you find it fits the bill too. A little further to the beach but not bad. Good luck and have fun! Sandra
Sandrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:26 AM   #98

Camp Lake Jasper. Nice campground exit 8 in SC.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:00 PM   #99

Hilton head harbour suggested the following when they cancelled my booking due to the slide issue:

Camp lake jasper
Hilton head island motor coach resort
South point KOA
Stoney crest plantation campground
Camp lake jasper
Jeff from Burlington Ont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:12 PM   #100

The HOA covenants have that in there about the no slide outs. When it was bought, the new owners tried to get the lot owners to change it but they never did as the person that developed the property has it that they have to vote in person. The owner said he would enforce the covenants if they didn’t change it it for slides to be allowed. The owners are the ones doing the suing trying to get the lot owners to make the changes so they won’t get in trouble by not enforcing it by a disgruntled lot owner. The lot owners need to give a proxy vote for one item only to someone that can be there in person. Vote to allow on-line or voice or Zoom meeting to vote on the other items like allowing slides. The person that bought the park has to maintain the docks, pools, etc. they want to have slide type campers as much as anyone but they want the covenants to state that so they themselves won’t get sued. They aren’t looking for money, they are just trying to force the lot owners to make the changes. I have a TT and have been there many times and are disappointed that the lot owners can’t pull this together. It will take some legwork but they can do it. Please do it before this summer as we love it there.
howard623 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, mpg, slide, slide out