Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2015, 09:48 PM   #1

North Carolina Fall Foliage Trip

Planning a trip to visit the area around Boone and Blowing Rock. Also wife wants go over to West Jefferson. Looks like there are two COE parks located on Kerr Scott Reservoir that are within a short drive. Bandits Roost and Fort Hamby. Anyone here ever camped at either and if so, would you recommend them.
"Having fun beyond our Dreams"
FourBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:57 PM   #2

There's also Warrior Creek. We prefer this one. Bandits Roost is ok. They both are on the 268W side of the lake. Fort Hamby is on the 421 side of the lake, but the campground is pretty hilly.
All of these are a short drive from our home. I'd suggest you go ahead & make your reservations soon as we do get a lot of traffic for the fall foliage.
Just Jammin 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:59 PM   #3

DW and I will be at Boone KOA on Aug 1 for several days, then moving up the Parkway to Meadows of Dan for a few more. Gotta get out of this heat!!! Love the Blue Ridge Parkway!!
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:44 AM   #4

Thanks for the info Guys. Took your advice and made our reservations. Surprised that Hamby closes Oct. 15. Middle of leaf viewing season. Going into Hamby for a week then moving to Bandits Roost for a week then on to Stone Mountain for another week. Looking forward to viewing the colors in the mountains; the BBQ in Wilkesboro; that hand dipped ice cream at Stone Mountain and the nightly .
Old 07-28-2015, 11:38 AM   #5

Ft Hamby is about 50 minutes from our house so we go there a lot. We Kayak on the lake and there is a nice long river you can paddle up. Great place to camp if you like support systems close by. A good collection of restaurants and a Walmart within 10 minutes of the park. An RV store also. Bandits Roost is further from those but a nice little diner close to that called Mason Jar.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:11 PM   #6

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Four Bits....we spent the late summer and fall of 2008 at various sites when we came from Texas......We started with Stone Mountain Park and visited Mt Airy,,,aka Mayberry. Loved that area.....then we went down to W. Kerr Scott,,,,,but I can't remember for the life of me which park it was,,,,but our site was 23B out on a peninsula point into the water. Loved the area. Visited Moses Cone, Linville Falls, Blowing Rock, the Biltmore, Cherokee, Maggie Valley....and of prime importance at the leaf peak season,,,,the 304 Exit on the Blue Ridge Parkway at the Linn Cove Viaduct. You can walk a little ways down a trail to get to "the" quintessential rock to sit on where the famous photo of the Viaduct was taken. We had no complaints about ANYTHING while visiting North Carolina. As a matter of fact,,,,we've accepted a job at a private RV park right off the Blue Ridge Parkway for next spring. We're going to be in another of one of God's living rooms. Doesn't matter where you go there or what you see, it's going to be memorable for you. There's also a great family serving type restaurant in Boone that you shouldn't miss,,,,but you have to wait in line to get a seat until it opens for dinner.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Jim View Post
.......There's also a great family serving type restaurant in Boone that you shouldn't miss,,,,but you have to wait in line to get a seat until it opens for dinner.
That would be the Daniel Boone Inn. BTW, it's cash only so be prepared.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:27 PM   #8

Thanks for the input, Evereddie....it's been 7 years,,,,but I do remember the great atmosphere.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:03 PM   #9

Thanks for the additional info. Its always good to have recommendations of others when you are visitors. Expect less when you are informed.

We have put both of these places on our to do list.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:15 AM   #10
Retired Army MSG!

Stayed in Warrior Creek a couple of years ago. Not a lot around and a little bit of a drive to get to Boone but very tranquil and quiet. Enjoyed the stay there and will return when I get the chance. Saw where Daniel Boone inn was mentioned in a post above. As they said take cash but also be hungry. Great country ham biscuits. Hope you have a great time in NC from a South Carolinian.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:18 AM   #11

There's a very interesting history in the Wilksboro County area about Tom Dooley and Jimmy Johnson and the moonshine chapter of the beginning of NASCAR.
I'm not sure if it was JIMMY or not,,,,but it was a Johnson.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:57 AM   #12

That would be "Junior Johnson". He has his name on a line of Moonshine sold in the state ABC stores now.
My how times change. State put him in Jail for running Moonshine. Governor pardoned him, now the state is selling his moonshine in their stores.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:16 PM   #13

Thanks, FourBits,,,,,it all comes back to me now. Wasn't the movie "Thunder Road" inspired by Junior Johnson?
Old 07-30-2015, 05:22 PM   #14

They named a portion of Hwy 421 in Wilkes and Yadkin County Junior Johnson Hwy. Where he hauled moonshine. Most people forget he got R.J. Reynolds involved in NASCAR. I heard him say I went to Reynolds looking for peanuts; they wanted to spend millions.
Phil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:35 AM   #15

Grampa Jim Not sure if the movie you mention was based on him or not. Remember it was about the moonshine business in that part of the country. Been a long time ago. I find that my memory gets shorter as age number increases.

Looking forward to our trip and going over to West Jefferson. Understand they have a cheese factory there. Old Kraft plant that is being operated by another company. Never seen cheese made so I'm looking forward to visiting the plant for a tour.

Thanks to all that have posted information.