Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2015, 09:02 PM   #1

Ocean City, MD to Northern NJ

HELP... Planning a trip from Ocean City, MD to Northern NJ and I am looking for any travel tips along the way, including somewhere to camp (full-hookup style) in Northern NJ. I would like to possibly travel into New York (without the trailer), because I cannot see us traveling in New York chaos with the trailer.
I welcome ANY suggestions for sightseeing and travel as well.
THANKS
just4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:16 PM   #2
Paradise has arrived!

Can't help you with campgrounds but am real familiar with NYC. Driving in the city can be a challenge to say the least. If you decide to drive just take your time and have everything plugged into the GPS. We like to take the boat to the statue of liberty. New York harbor is a great boat ride. Try to spend a little time in central park, times square, and Rockefeller center. Just the action going on is fun to watch. We try to take in a Broadway show while there. And if you plan on dining anywhere in Manhattan be prepared to pay big bucks. Good luck.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:38 PM   #3

just4fun-

Where are you trying to stay in northern NJ? We live here and can help out... There are a few ways to get to NYC... How many in your group? There is a break even point where parking/tolls is cheaper than mass transit if you have 3 or 4 in the group.

There are not any CG's in northern NJ that are close to NYC. Liberty Harbor in Jersey City is a glorified parking lot adjacent to a marina on the Hudson River. It caters to mostly large coaches and is not a place to deploy awnings or set up a grill.

I have camped at Croton Point County Park. It is in Westchester county just north of the Tappan Zee Bridge and not far to Metro North RR.... Nice place with FHU but some long term campers mixed in...

Next closest FHU is probably the Newburgh KOA... just over a hour out.

There are a couple state parks w/o hookups.But not many where you would want to commute for the day to NYC.

As for the route, what type of TT are you traveling with? When do you plan on making this trip...?

2021 Cedar Creek 37MBH
2020 F350 Powerstroke Super Duty Lariat Crew Cab
Northern NJ - God Bless America!
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:04 AM   #4

Ok, so as crazy as it sounds, we are going to "Hoboken Baby". My daughter is a huge Buddy the Cake Boss fan, and we have been promising a visit. We are not interested in driving into New York (but obviously want to visit).... but I can't find ANY campgrounds other than the marina one mentioned (which as stated, looks like a parking lot).
just4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:55 PM   #5

Your best bet is central nj then day trip it into north jersey
Clarici l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:00 PM   #6

Check out the website www.newjerseycampgrounds.com ...you should find a campground that will work for where you want to be.

As far as the route, if you're coming from Ocean City, I'd recommend taking the Cape May-Lewes Ferry. It's a really nice ride through a pretty part of the state, and shaves hours off the trip.
rad_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:10 PM   #7

I second the ferry ride, then the Garden State Parkway north. You have tolls, but it is a much more pleasant ride than up through Delaware to I-295 or the Turnpike. Liberty is the closest and handiest to City access, but as you noted, very basic. It is also not very handy to Hoboken. There are nicer campgrounds East and West of the City that may be near suitable ground transportation into Hoboken and the City. City of Hoboken, NJ » How to get here
Cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:47 PM   #8

North N.J., not far from train, about an hour drive to Hoboken. Panther Lake Camping Resort