Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 07:00 AM   #1

Odd policy at Maple Lakes Seville Oh

While passing through the area we made an overnight stop here. Beautiful campground, nice pool, good utilities , and a nice pull through site. We are traveling in a motorhome and towing a car so a pull thru site is nice not having to unhook car for overnight.
At check-in the lady informed us there was no dog walking allowed! She said your dog (15 lb Boston terrier) can only be on the grass at your site, or be driven to the dog walk area about 1/2 mile from our site!! I asked again if she meant dog had to be on a leash and she said no "there is no dog walking allowed"
We have been RVing for 2.5 years and are constantly on the road . I estimate that 80% of RV people we meet are traveling with a dog.
Our little dog was happy enough to walk on the grass at our site but I imagine folks with bigger dogs might not enjoy this policy. FYI

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forum

Other Motorhome

2013 F-150 Eco-Boost V6
mrmichael is offline   Reply
Old 08-11-2016, 07:06 AM   #2

Sounds like they must have had a lot of issues in the past. Kind of strict but their playground, their rules. Shame that a small amount of people can really ruin things for everyone else.

I wonder if you pulled the dog in a wagon what they would say.

My wife has a ridiculous dog buggy for our mutts. We've used it once in 2 years but I get to haul it around. Yay.
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply
Old 08-11-2016, 07:07 AM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Probably rule came about cause folks where not cleaning up after there pets. I have never ran into this problem tho. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply
Old 08-11-2016, 07:19 AM   #4

No doubt that they made the policy after rude people didn't clean up after their pets but strange to be in RV park and not see any dogs at all

Other Motorhome

2013 F-150 Eco-Boost V6
Old 08-11-2016, 07:20 AM   #5
(Dry Huunday)

WOW!
I agree they must have had problems but at this point they might as well change to a "No Pet" policy!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply
Old 08-11-2016, 07:22 AM   #6

Yes I agree only being there overnight but if we were going to stay for a few days it would make me look somewhere else

Other Motorhome

2013 F-150 Eco-Boost V6
Old 08-11-2016, 08:28 AM   #7

There are a few State parks in Pa. That only allow dog walking in the dog section . You can not walk your dog on the roads in none dog camp site roads .

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-11-2016, 08:44 AM   #8

Probably about to piss off some dog owners here, but...........

I think it's a great policy! Even though we are all dog lovers my family does not have a dog. We just don't have the time for it. We are lucky to have a family member with a great dog and we take it whenever she goes. My problem with dog people is they think that they can just walk their dogs anywhere. My kids are constantly rolling around, sitting down, laying on, etc. the ground in my yard/campsite. People often don't pick up the poop and even if they do I don't care to have my kids exposed to dog pee or a spot where some dog just took a dump. When we have our surrogate dog we walk it in OUR yard or campsite or we go to the woods or a dog park.

Maybe I'm a little uptight about it but if I pay for a campsite I shouldn't have to deal with someone bringing their dog to poop in it. Funny thing is I had an argument with a guy about it one time and he said that since he picked up the poop I should just shut up. I told him that I was going to piss and s**t on his pillow but not to worry because I would pick it up. He locked his camper every time he was going more than 10 feet away that whole weekend.

Nights Camped, 2015: 23, 2016: 27, 2017: 29, 2018: 22, 2019: 29
mikeysotp is offline   Reply
Old 08-11-2016, 08:49 AM   #9

Wonder if they had the same rule applied for children. Children are welcome at our family campground but must be kept quiet and on your site at all times. We have a child play area down the road but your child must be driven to this site.
Seasonal is offline   Reply
Old 08-11-2016, 08:55 AM   #10

Won't upset me. We take our dogs where they are allowed and follow the rules. Can't please everyone.
2016 Brookstone 395RL
Old 08-11-2016, 09:00 AM   #11
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayneb236 View Post
Won't upset me. We take our dogs where they are allowed and follow the rules. Can't please everyone.
X2.

I get aggravated with pet owners that don't follow the rules and just plain common courtesy....then again I get aggravated at anyone that can't show a little common courtesy...

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply
Old 08-11-2016, 09:02 AM   #12

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it." Woodrow Call
2016 Brookstone 395RL
Old 08-11-2016, 09:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
There are a few State parks in Pa. That only allow dog walking in the dog section . You can not walk your dog on the roads in none dog camp site roads .

Which ones?

I have not run across that and have been to most. You can not walk your dog in the loops / on the roads that serve sites that are not designated for pets which is understandable, But you're not restricted on the roads or loops that serve the pet sites. All the ones I have been too have the pet sites separated into loops or large groups. You are also only limited to those restrictions in the campground and other "sleeping areas" such as cabin areas. The entire state park system is open to pets. (other than beaches also).
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply
Old 08-11-2016, 09:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmichael View Post
No doubt that they made the policy after rude people didn't clean up after their pets but strange to be in RV park and not see any dogs at all

That's a park I'll have to check out. Dogs barking, leaving stuff around. I like dogs just don't have one and not going to get another one

spock123 is offline   Reply
Old 08-11-2016, 09:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Which ones?

I have not run across that and have been to most. You can not walk your dog in the loops / on the roads that serve sites that are not designated for pets which is understandable, But you're not restricted on the roads or loops that serve the pet sites. All the ones I have been too have the pet sites separated into loops or large groups. You are also only limited to those restrictions in the campground and other "sleeping areas" such as cabin areas. The entire state park system is open to pets. (other than beaches also).

Gifford Pinchot State Park Campground was the last one that had this rule. I was chased down by the camp host and had directed me to read the sign that said "No dog beyond this point."
You were permitted to walk your dog on the roads that had dog sites.
We were so pissed off that we jumped in the truck and drove around the campground with the our dog hanging out of the window.

What's next stopping the dear, bears,raccoons and fox from taking dump on your site . Who's cleaning that mess up ? How many kids rolled in that?
I agree people should clean up after there pets. But don't stop people from walking around the campground.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:13 AM   #16

Pine Grove Furnace and Poe Valley have similar situations. Fine with us and our 2 dogs as there is plenty of room otherwise to walk.

2010 Ford Escape
loumichelle735 is offline   Reply
Old 08-11-2016, 10:14 AM   #17
Site Team

Site team reminder: These type threads (especially those pertaining to fur family) have historically shown to elicit heated and emotional responses. Please follow the posting guidelines and play nice. This thread is not asking a question and is a FYI thing, that no member here can change the campground policy on.

This thread (pardon the pun) is going to need to be kept on a short leash.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply
Old 08-11-2016, 10:41 AM   #18

colnel denning st park also in pa.
This isn't a problem of anykind, you can walk them anywhere else in the park.

it also wasn't enforced that I saw, including the park ranger that patrolled through now and then.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:14 AM   #19

I would say most people camping have a pet, DW is my pet. I see it all the time that people aren't picking up after there dogs. That makes it bad for everyone. I hear barking dogs left in campers, there should be a law against that.

spock123 is offline   Reply
Old 08-11-2016, 12:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
Gifford Pinchot State Park Campground was the last one that had this rule. I was chased down by the camp host and had directed me to read the sign that said "No dog beyond this point."
You were permitted to walk your dog on the roads that had dog sites.
We were so pissed off that we jumped in the truck and drove around the campground with the our dog hanging out of the window.

What's next stopping the dear, bears,raccoons and fox from taking dump on your site . Who's cleaning that mess up ? How many kids rolled in that?
I agree people should clean up after there pets. But don't stop people from walking around the campground.

I don't know why that pissed you off that much. Its an advertised policy in every PA state park that has pet friendly campsites. Its the reason they tend to keep them all in a specific loop or grouped together. You can walk your dog on the roads that service the pet sections but not on the roads in the non pet sections. Anywhere else in the entire park including trails is open territory, except beaches. Try that in a National Park. I don't know of any that will not allow your pet into areas like amphitheaters and such in the campground. Some have built pet trails from the pet sections to amphitheaters and activity centers.

The thing that sets me off are the people who knowingly reserve a pet site located in a pet loop and don't own a pet. People selfishly do that to get one of the limited full hookup or electric sites that are located in the pet friendly sections when the prime sites are booked in the non pet sections. That effectively denies some pet owner of a pet friendly site. The pet friendly sites are a small percentage of the non pet sites, so non pet people will hog them up and a pet owner can not get a site. At the same time there are empty sites in the non pet section the non pet person could of taken.

The people without dogs reserve them knowing they will be surrounded by dogs, then have a problem with a dog barking and go complain to the rangers or manager. I volunteer at a PA park and have witnessed it often. My suggestion was if you reserve a pet friendly site you should be required to have a pet. The park superintendent agrees but unfortunately policy gets set in Harrisburg.

How long have you been camping in PA parks? You would have really been pissed back before 2008/2009 as no pets were allowed in any PA state park campground before then. I have not kept up with it but as of a couple years ago there were still some that did not allow pets, one being one of the most popular in the entire state, Ohiopyle. I think they opened some sites to pets around 2012 or so. There may still be a few that do not allow pets.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply
Closed Thread