Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2021, 07:45 PM   #1

Outer Banks

Hello all,

Planning a trip to the OBX next Summer, May/June for 15 days.

Anyone have an itinerary for this trip that you'd be willing to share?

We will be leaving WI and heading to Williamsburg for a couple of days then down to Ferry over from Hatteras to Okracoke. So any advice on where to go and stay a couple days at a time would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

EArrowood
Flyboyatjvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:47 AM   #2

I recommend staying at Frisco Woods Campground. Very nice people and a great spot. The most gorgeous sunsets too.
obxfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:58 AM   #3

Spent a number of stays at Teeters in Ocracoke. It's nicely located right by the marina and ferry docks so an easy walk to any attraction, restaurant, etc.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:44 AM   #4
Part-Time Campground Host

We stayed at Oregon Inlet CG, Nags Head, NC. Nice CG lots of trails and close to the Wright Brothers National Memorial.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1659
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxfanatic View Post
I recommend staying at Frisco Woods Campground. Very nice people and a great spot. The most gorgeous sunsets too.
I stayed there 15-20 years ago, agreed re. the sunset and other views over the Sound. This was pre-RV days, stayed in a camping cabin. Restrooms weren't the cleanest.
2006 Honda GL1800 Gold Wing (the reason for the toy hauler)
Jimbo K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
We stayed at Oregon Inlet CG, Nags Head, NC. Nice CG lots of trails and close to the Wright Brothers National Memorial.
I camped there week before last. Agreed that it's a nice CG, and it likely will be my CG of choice for any future OBX camping. For those that like fishing, the beach is within walking distance and the CG is right across the highway from the Oregon Inlet marina. Four-wheeling on the beach is normally allowed in that area, with an access ramp about a quarter mile from the CG.

Campsite sizes vary; check them closely before reserving. The narrow campground road can make it a challenge for a big rig to back in. A newly arriving 5th wheel two sites over from me needed a neighbor across the road to temporarily move his tow vehicle to give him maneuvering room.

There is no natural shade so you'll need a wind-resistant awning or well-anchored folding canopy if you want shade. (The winds can be brisk blowing in off the ocean.)

As for other CGs, there are only two other private campgrounds that I've found north of Oregon Inlet. Both in the Kitty Hawk/Kill Devil Hills area, they both look tiny, tightly packed, catering more to long-termers perhaps. Almost like trailer parks. No thank you.

On the other hand, lots of choices on Hatteras Island and Ocracoke. I prefer federal CGs due to pricing, especially with the lifetime senior discount. NPS has four: the aforementioned Oregon Inlet CG, two at the lower end of Hatteras Island, and one on Ocracoke. Just know that Oregon Inlet is the only one with electric and water hookups. Several private CGs too if you want more amenities and don't mind paying considerably more.

Flyboy, since you're going to Ocracoke, build into your itinerary the possibility of a considerable wait for the ferry, depending on time of day and day of week. I've waited a couple of hours during peak times (bad planning by me). And like so many other operations, they've recently had staffing shortages leading to temporary cuts in scheduled trips. Who knows where we'll be with that kind of thing next Spring.
2006 Honda GL1800 Gold Wing (the reason for the toy hauler)
Jimbo K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:12 AM   #7

Lots of good campgrounds in the OBX. When we go each year, we usually stay at Camp Hatteras or Cape Hatteras KOA in Rodanthe, which is located in the center of the barrier islands and half way to the northern or southern attractions. The KOA recently raised their nightly rates and is pretty crazy with lots of kids and offers lots of amenities for kids. Camp Hatteras is a bit quieter and located right next door to the KOA. All Camp Hatteras sites include full hookups, including 50amp service. The KOA has a very limited number of them with 50amp service, so it can be hard to get into those sites, if you need them, but all of their sites also include full hookups. Camp Hatteras offers both oceanside or sound side campsites and the sunrises and sunsets are some of the best on the east coast. Although the KOA does NOT have sound side sites, they do own a vacant property across route 12 where you can drive a car or golf cart to see the spectacular sunsets.

As far as things to do, you can easily spend a week seeing everything. The Currituck, Bodie Island, Hatteras and Ocracoke lighthouses are a must visit, but could take you a couple days to just to see them because of the distance and slow travel up and down route 12. Highly recommend booking a tour to see the wild horses on the northern beaches while visiting the Currituck lighthouse. Going south, also need to stop at the Wright Brothers museum and the Jockey Ridge State Park which are close to one another in Kill Devil Hills. That will likely take a full day to see both without rushing thru it. The Bodie Island lighthouse and the Nights in Rodanthe House is located further south towards Waves/Salvo/Rodanthe, but are quicker stops along the OBX. The Cape Hatteras lighthouse is about a 30 to 45 minute drive further south and could round out another day. The ferry rides to/from Ocracoke run all the time, but the wait to get on one and the ride to Ocracoke can easily take two hours or more, so its best to get there very early to avoid the long wait lines. Once you get to Ocracoke, the village, lighthouse and beaches are all worth spending time and checking out. But it will easily burn a full day to see that part of the OBX.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:34 AM   #8

Just stayed at the KOA in Rodanthe. Pricey, but it was my birthday so I splurged. If you have kids, they'll love all the fun things to do there, including the beach of course! I highly recommend exploring Jockeys Ridge State Park, and if you're feeling adventurous- sign up for hang gliding classes. You get to do a couple runs off the dunes while the instructors run alongside you. Or, you can drive a little ways and take the 2k foot high ride tandem!

Lots of parks, trails, etc. to pull off on the side of the road and explore. Nags Head is a solid 40 minutes from Rodanthe. That's where most of the shopping/grocery/tourist type things are. It's quieter down south, which is nice. Always catch the sunsets, and if you can be there on a full moon, you'll be in for a real treat!
jordyn213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 08:00 AM   #9
Trailer Park Supervisor

I'm trying Frisco Woods next year. I've been at Hatteras Sands last 2 years, which is a very nice park, but I like beach at Frisco better, much wider, and sand not so deep for driving.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 08:03 AM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo K. View Post
I stayed there 15-20 years ago, agreed re. the sunset and other views over the Sound. This was pre-RV days, stayed in a camping cabin. Restrooms weren't the cleanest.
Stuck my head in bathhouse by pool just checking place out, things have changed. Bathhouse was modern and clean. Not as nicely air conditioned as where I was staying at Hatteras Sands though.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:30 AM   #11
OYO

We're making our third trip to Ocracoke NP starting next week. It's 100% dry camping (flush toilets and water are available). The beach, dunes, biking, hiking and town are all convenient.

Nine days - $126 with senior discount.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote