Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2019, 08:19 AM   #1
Kanadian Kamper

Panhandle FL recommendations?

Just looking for suggestions to consider for campgrounds anywhere along the Panhandle shoreline, if that’s even realistic yet.

I’m looking anywhere off Hwy 98 between Carrabelle and Pensacola, barring in mind the damage that some of this area took last year from Hurricane Michael.

Thanks

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:14 PM   #2

We stayed in Carabelle RV park prior to the hurricane and enjoyed the quiet area but would stay at Coastline if we went there again due to the proximity to St. George.

We are staying at PCB RV resort this Christmas and will report back. Also in Panama is Emerald Coast RV. It honestly appeared nicer but was not close enough to the beach for us.

Drove by Pensacola Beach RV resort and the area looks great. Another in that area is Santa Rosa resort.

Topsail Hill State Park, Henderson Beach State Park are on my list but our dates just never work out to get in here. Same with Camp Gulf but its $$$.

Not in Florida but close enough is Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach Alabama. This is our favorite spot so far, hands down. We love the area and the campsites are large.

Hope this helps!
UGACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:23 PM   #3

In addition to Gulf Shores State Park (AL) which is hard to get into try Big Lagoon State Park (FL).
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:36 PM   #4

Well, the State Park on St Joe Peninsula is closed because of the hurricane last year. St George Island State Park ( just east of Apalachicola) is a rare treat. IF you can find a spot, it is one of the best campgrounds in FL in my opinion. The beach is about 1/4 mile from the campground.

There is Pressnell's Bayside RV Resort on 30A between Port St Joe and the end of the peninsula. 2115 County Rd 30A, Port St Joe, FL 32456

The next best chance of a campsite is all the way west to Pensacola to Fort Pickens campground on the Pensacola National Seashore. Loop A is the nicest to camp/RV but there are only about 45+ spots there and they fill up fast. There are an additional 250+ spots in other loops but they are generally tight and treeless. The beach(es) start about 1/4- 1/2 mile from the campground.

You may be able in a pinch to find a spot north of I-10, about 20-30 miles from gulf coast beaches. Two spots I have been to that are nice is Blackwater River State Park and closer in is Rocky Bayou State Park.

good luck...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:45 AM   #5

Coast Line RV is a great place to stay. Its between Carrabelle and Apalachacola. Yo are right across from St. George Island which is another good place to visit. Also you have to eat some Oysters in Apalatchacola as they are the Oyster capital of the world
ksams1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:44 AM   #6

Henderson Beach State Park (https://www.floridastateparks.org/), in Destin, is wonderful! That would be my number one destination (we go there quite often we love it so much). Great beach, many pull-through sites, vegetation separating sites, mostly large sites, etc. Not full hook-up,. though. Only costs about $30 a night. Lots of things to do in the Destin area (restaurants, shopping, site seeing, etc.).

Their sister park (free admission to this park with your Henderson Beach tag) is Fred Gannon Rocky Bayou State Park in Niceville. Fred Gannon is about 10 miles north and has a lot more activities than Henderson Beach. They have quite a few trails, Bayou kayaking, nature demonstrations, etc. This would also be a good alternative to the beach-side campgrounds as it is very inexpensive (around $18-20 per night) and you get free admission to Henderson Beach beach when staying here.

Top Sail is near here, also. Top Sail is a little more expensive than Henderson Beach (depending on the site and location) at about $50 per night.

Emerald Beach RV Park (https://www.emeraldbeachrvpark.com/) in Navarre is very good. The sites are close, but it is still nice. You still have some room between the RVs. The location is right on the Sound, so the view is fantastic. Navarre Beach is just over the bridge and is one of our favorite beaches in FL. Again, plenty to do around here. Pensacola is about 15 minutes from here. Rates here are about $55-60 per night depending on if you want a beach-front site or not.

Personally, I would steer clear of Big Lagoon. Very narrow road, very tight sites, weird neighbors, a long way to restaurants, muddy sites, etc. We used to go there, until we found many better places to go.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:08 PM   #7
Always Learning

It's not coastal, but we just stayed at Pensacola RV Park again and really enjoyed our stay. But we also weren't there for the beach (I'm too cheap to pay beach rates right now!).