Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2021, 07:03 PM   #21

Ditto for all of the parks in North Western PA. I grew up in Kane, a short distance from Cooks Forest. Beautiful area with lots of outdoors stuff to do. If you want to get really rural and be in the deep forest check out Tracey Ridge. It's an Allegheny National Forest Park. It's a no frills campground.
Sunseeker16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:22 AM   #22

Over in the southwestern end of the state is Ohiopyle State Park. We stayed at that park because it is only about a 10-15 minute drive to Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater. There are actually 3 Wright houses within about 30 minutes of the park. The state park is great, with nicely spaced sites. Pets are only allowed in a specific loop, so make sure you look at that.

The town of Ohiopyle is very cute and centered around white water rafting on the Youghiogheny River.

There is plenty of hiking in the area with the Laurel Highlands Trail and the Great Allegheny Trail offers biking opportunities.

Def worth a stop if your over towards the western side.

P.S. Fallingwater was most excellent.
Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
Over in the southwestern end of the state is Ohiopyle State Park. We stayed at that park because it is only about a 10-15 minute drive to Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater. There are actually 3 Wright houses within about 30 minutes of the park. The state park is great, with nicely spaced sites. Pets are only allowed in a specific loop, so make sure you look at that.

The town of Ohiopyle is very cute and centered around white water rafting on the Youghiogheny River.

There is plenty of hiking in the area with the Laurel Highlands Trail and the Great Allegheny Trail offers biking opportunities.

Def worth a stop if your over towards the western side.

P.S. Fallingwater was most excellent.
Coincidentally, we just changed our itinerary last night to include an overnight stay at Ohiopyle SP, specifically to visit Fallingwater. In fact, I just received some correspondence from park staff regarding desirable sites and the best route into the park.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 05:52 PM   #24

It is an absolute must that you access the park by Rt. 40 and Chalk Hill - Ohiopyle Rd, and not Ohiopyle Rd. Ohiopyle Rd down to town is winding and steep!

Chalk Hill - Ohiopyle Rd turns into Kentuck Rd and goes directly into the campground. Another Wright house, Kentuck Knob is on Kentuck Rd only about a mile from the campground. It is a separate tour run by a private company, but was interesting to do.

We went last summer with Covid going on and Fallingwater was well set up to handle the tours. They limited the number of people per hour and have the means to space people out well. The inside of the house was off limits because of Covid, but you could look in the windows and get a good feel for the house.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
It is an absolute must that you access the park by Rt. 40 and Chalk Hill - Ohiopyle Rd, and not Ohiopyle Rd. Ohiopyle Rd down to town is winding and steep! ...
We're staying in the park one night, then seeing the house on the way out the next day. What is the best route from the SP to Fallingwater, with trailer in tow? (My tow vehicle is capable but I don't want to make it hard if avoidable.) Does your route recommendation change if we visit Kentuck House, too?

Old 03-01-2021, 09:04 PM   #26

When you get to the park and unhook, take a ride down Ohiopyle Rd. down to town. When you come in from Rt. 40 you end up going straight into the campground. When you come out of the campground, you turn left to go down to town and then on to Fallingwater.

The road down from the campground to town is VERY steep and you are heading down it from the campground. It would actually be easier to go up it. My advice is to check it out in your truck and see if you think your brakes can do it. We saw school buses while we drove on it, so it is possible for larger vehicles. I was not willing to try it with my camper and I have a small camper lol.

To go the long way around to get to Fallingwater would probably be quite inconvenient. Just take a look without the camper before committing to it with.

Kentuck Knob is on the road into the campground and is only about a mile away, so it doesn't matter route wise if you add it in.

In the pic below, you can see that Ohiopyle Rd is the most efficient route to get to Fallingwater. Its in the orange circle. To go out to Rt. 40 and then go around would be long. And if I remember correctly, we traveled on the other road to town and it was also pretty winding so it might not matter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 8.49.51 PM.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	248687  
Old 03-01-2021, 10:49 PM   #27

Thanks for the info

Old 05-05-2021, 08:50 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Thanks for the info. I changed our plan from Trough Creek SP to Cook Forest SP.

Does anyone have info on French Creek, farther E?
I live 25 minutes from French Creek state park. We stayed there easter weekend this year. Its a nice campground but hard to get reservations unless you plan way ahead. This year they are adding water, electric and sewer to a second loop so while the work is in progress that loop is closed.
Matthuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:07 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
Great! We had a 27 footer at the time.
If you are coming from the east on the turnpike and depending on your GPS and your preference. It may take you on the back roads from King Of Prussia. I found out that taking the turnpike all the way to Morgantown was faster and easier. Unless it is rush hour. All bets are off. Your mileage may vary.

Good Luck.
I will 2nd the idea of using Morgantown exit to get to French creek state park. (I lived in that area over 30 years). But I don't know much about the state park since that would have been camping in my backyard.
TowPro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:10 AM   #30
Green Horn

We did French Creek and Bald Eagle both parks are very well maintained with lots to do
kevin211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:45 PM   #31

Rickett's Glen State Park and the waterfall trail down the mountain. Beautiful!!!
No hookups yet but will have some this fall.
jwalt313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 04:02 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalt313 View Post
Rickett's Glen State Park and the waterfall trail down the mountain. Beautiful!!!
No hookups yet but will have some this fall.
Ricketts Glenn is probably my favorite PA state park.
Matthuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:25 PM   #33

My husband and I are campground hosts at a few State Parks in Pennsylvania. We start out hosting at Sinnemahonning State Park, Cameron County. It's a small park...35 sites...no full hookups but a nice bathhouse and the water is good. Good bike trails and lots of wildlife..bear, elk, deer, eagles... we like it!

Then we go to Chapman Dam State Park... Warren Co. It's a very nice park,too. Beach access, separate pet loop, playground, environmental programs, etc. Nice sites.

Kooser SP is in south central PA and is part of the Laurel Hill SP Complex. There are a few full hook up sites there, big sites, not far from FLight 93 Memorial , which would be a great day trip ( we volunteer there,too! LOL) Lots of hiking trails there. Beach at Laurel Hill about 4-5miles down the road.

We also host at Parker Dam SP , more central PA. Sites are a little tighter there if you have a big rig but the staff are very friendly and accommodating. Hiking trails.

Many good parks to choose from. Hope this helps!

Happy Camping!!
Member Travel Resorts of America
Retired and adventurous!
Bbfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 05:42 PM   #34

PA parks are the best. Codorus, Caledonia, Pine grove furnace, little Buffalo, Gifford Pinchot wow, also black moshannon.
SFBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:53 AM   #35

Poe Valley, Raymond B Winter, Hickory Run, Hyner to add a few more gems.

Bald Eagle is very open and not much shade. Gets hot in summer.
It's great for boating on the lake.
Tabasco_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:32 AM   #36

Are you camping with dogs? PASP's are not dog friendly. Check out the National Forest in wester PA.

2017 Mini Lite 2506S front kitchen

2018 GMC Sierra 1500
labcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:40 AM   #37

Camping with pets

Most PA State Park Campground have a pet friendly area for camping with dogs (and cats). They do fill up fast so make reservations early.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pennsylvania