Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2018, 03:36 PM   #1

Pigeon Forge / Gatlinburg - Spring Break

Howdy,

We're looking at going to Pigeon Forge and surrounding area over my son's spring break. Basically it's the warmest we can get within a reasonable (11-ish hours, we'll have a 6 mo. with us) drive.

Pre-camper we stayed in a cabin in the area, so we're mostly familiar with the attractions. I believe all these are ok, post-fire. Interestingly, the cabin we stayed at is GONE (which is crazy).

Anyway, we're mostly interested in if it's "worth it" to go, after the fire. We hope to go on a few of the drives (names fail me right now) as well as some of the major attractions (aquarium, dollywood, the water park).

So, is it still "worth it" to go?
Campground suggestions (this is a big one, too) for the last week of March?
Other suggestions/must-do items?
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:55 PM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
Howdy,

We're looking at going to Pigeon Forge and surrounding area over my son's spring break. Basically it's the warmest we can get within a reasonable (11-ish hours, we'll have a 6 mo. with us) drive.

Pre-camper we stayed in a cabin in the area, so we're mostly familiar with the attractions. I believe all these are ok, post-fire. Interestingly, the cabin we stayed at is GONE (which is crazy).

Anyway, we're mostly interested in if it's "worth it" to go, after the fire. We hope to go on a few of the drives (names fail me right now) as well as some of the major attractions (aquarium, dollywood, the water park).

We were there in Nov and a lot has been done to repair fire damage. I see no problem with going as main attractions suffered no damage. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Howdy,

We were there this past August... not all that many signs of the fires unless you really were looking for them... few spots on the mountains with just fireplace/foundations.... some signs of the fire along the auto trail right outside of town... burn lines visible on the bypass, but they were starting to green up already when we were there....

2021 Cedar Creek 37MBH
2020 F350 Powerstroke Super Duty Lariat Crew Cab
Northern NJ - God Bless America!
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:14 PM   #4
Retired and Loving Life!

Send a message via MSN to Alan F
We were there in September and camped at:
Riveredge RV Park & Log Cabin Rentals
4220 Huskey St.
Pigeon Forge, TN
37863-3619
(865) 453-5813

Nice place, convenient location in Pigeon Forge. We have friends who were there for Christmas, so it should be open in March when you are going. We didn’t see much evidence of the fire, only what we saw from the lift chairs. Enjoyed “The Island” which has several stores. We also did the Ferris wheel. When in the area, Check our the Bush Bean Museum in Chestnut Hill, Tenn. 19 miles from Pigeon Forge. Have fun!
Alan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:21 PM   #5

We go every year, first week of May. Last year they were still rebuilding the chair lifts and Ober Gatlinurg was still closed but both have since been opened. Cades Cove was not affected and very little signs of damage heading to Clingmans Dome.

We stay at a local hotel, don't admonish me for this, as we are always on the go so I can't recommend a camp ground. Go have fun and talk to the locals. Many were affected by the fires and it seemed therapeutic for them to talk about it and support them.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:08 AM   #6

We also stayed at River Edge. Its right at the end of Pigeon Forge. Kinda tight but it is right on both trolley systems if you don't have a toad. We were there first of October and didn't have problems with anything being closed.

I'd also recommend stopping at Sweetwater for a night and seeing the Lost Sea cave. We spent the night at the KOA there, went to the Lost Sea the next day and had an enjoyable drive on the back roads to Pigeon Forge from there. Mayfield dairy is also in that area.
sleepybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:41 AM   #7

Only been there once but we will be staying at Up The Creek again. We had a huge, almost private site that backed up to the little creek. They also (as many I image) have a trolly stop to take you into town.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:10 PM   #8

Forget the fire. We were there last Sept. and we had to ask where the fire had been. The towns and Dollywood are just fine. FYI, we stayed at the Pigeon Forge KOA, which is right next to Patriots Park, with convenient trolley service to almost everywhere.
RVBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:31 PM   #9

Duvall

Try Duvall campground. It is at the end of veterans drive in Sevierville to the left about 1 1/2 miles to right on left. New but very reasonable and nice. Tell them Sandy and Steve Suggs sent you and that we will see them in Oct if not before.

As far as fire damage, in October we saw very little around Cade’s Cove and on the way there from Gatlinburg. My understanding, other than around Ober Gatlinburg it was mostly smoke damage downtown Gatlinberg.

Enjoy yourself while you are there. We always do
2003 Ford F-250 super duty diesel
Vinemont, AL
Triple SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:32 PM   #10

Agree on the with others, the Fire did not affect much of the commercial tourism property and work is on going cleaning up what did burn. We were there before the fire and stayed at imagination mountain in Cosby. Biggest draw for us is that it was on the quiet side of town. Property was at the foothills of the national park and we had a stream behind our campsite. Would stay there again, very good spot if you have little kids.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:26 PM   #11

We love the KOA in Townsend. You take Wears valley to shoot over to pigeon forge. It’s a little drive but Townsend is much quieter than staying in PF which we like and it’s close to Cades Cove which is a must for us each trip.... The drive into Gatlinburg from Townsend is really nice as well. Your going in the back way thru parts of the park.
Oops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:45 PM   #12

We stay at Bear Cove. Very nice, paved sites, cable, sewer and Wi-Fi. You can hear train whistle from Dollywood, also about 9:30pm in summer you can see Dollywood fireworks.
Up The Creek another great place to camp. Secured sites with good vista, creek and nice fireplaces. We have stayed in several campgrounds in Pigeon Forge area and the are two of the best.
cray6177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:43 AM   #13
MCTroy

No fire damage was visible last May when we visited this area. We are going again in April. We like the quiet side of the mountain as and stay at Big Meadows in Townsend. Much less traffic. The campground is kid friendly too. Call now as it could be hard to get a site. We book a year in advance.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:27 AM   #14
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepybadger View Post
We also stayed at River Edge. Its right at the end of Pigeon Forge. Kinda tight but it is right on both trolley systems if you don't have a toad. We were there first of October and didn't have problems with anything being closed.

I'd also recommend stopping at Sweetwater for a night and seeing the Lost Sea cave. We spent the night at the KOA there, went to the Lost Sea the next day and had an enjoyable drive on the back roads to Pigeon Forge from there. Mayfield dairy is also in that area.
And if you do go to Sweet water by all means go to Sweetwater Valley Farms as make they make there own cheese and it out of this world. You can also take a tour of the farm and see how the process starts and finishes to make cheese. I think Wednesday is the day you can actually view them making the cheese. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:00 PM   #15

Great places to eat in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. It’s been busy every time I have ever been. Well I was there one Christmas and hardly any campers were there. But the next day the campground started filling up
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:40 AM   #16

We went last year. In March right after,
All was fine. Some stuff gone and missing but overall it was a great trip, we are headed back this summer for a week with 14 families. River Plantain RV park,
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:35 AM   #17

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Very little-----------

You have to look close to see any of the fire damage. We stay (with camper) at "RIVERSIDE RV PARK AND RESORT" in Sevierville, TN. The resort has plenty of cabins right on a river, pool and out of the way of a lot of the traffic but is close access to Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg and the Smoky
Mtn park and any of the entertainment you wish to enjoy.

Riverside RV Park and Resort
4280 Boyds Creek Highway
Sevierville, TN 37876
865 453 7299
800 341 7534
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:53 AM   #18

Smokey Mountain Brewery has some of the best beer I have ever had. We love going there and Calhouns to eat in Gatlinburg. Our favorite place to go on vacation. can't wait to get our trailer and go as we have always stayed in hotels before when we visit.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:47 AM   #19

Hate to start a new thread just for this, so I'll tack it on to my existing one......

Where to stay around Toledo for one night?
I guess it "can't" be a Walmart that night. So an easy in/out campground that's perhaps even cheap that we can roll into late.......

This is for the first night (after work) on the way to Pigeon Forge. So it is related!
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Hate to start a new thread just for this, so I'll tack it on to my existing one......

Where to stay around Toledo for one night?
I guess it "can't" be a Walmart that night. So an easy in/out campground that's perhaps even cheap that we can roll into late.......

This is for the first night (after work) on the way to Pigeon Forge. So it is related!
there are several 'Rest Areas' between Toledo and Dayton. Get a Map (Ap?) out and find them. Drive until tired... Pull in and park for the night.. get some sleep.. leave early next morning. I have stopped at Rest Areas for the night, 100s of times... all across the country. Just be situationally aware of your surroundings and lock everything when going to sleep

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote