Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2019, 06:13 PM   #1

Pirate Land Memorial Day weekend

Have reservations at Pirate Land in Myrtle Beach over Memorial Day weekend. First time in that area. Looking for recommendations for the usual, where to eat, what not to miss etc. Checking in on Thursday, out on Tuesday so have a couple days.
B&W Companion 20K for OEM pucks.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:43 AM   #2
Lame *****

Been going MB for five decades. Have been there just about every other year since 1970 as a kid, then as a young soldier and as a parent. Seen all angles of this place from aspect of being a kid, a wild soldier hitting the bar scene and as a parent. Not knowing your desires it is hard for me to give you any input. Do you like tourist trap stuff, eating out all the time? There is a ton to do there and the limits are on what you want to spend.

The one constant with MB during peak is-Traffic and crowds everywhere, this will be a very busy weekend. The cabin fever nuts will be in full force. You're going to have a blast, but just be prepared for how busy it will be.
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot View Post
Been going MB for five decades. Have been there just about every other year since 1970 as a kid, then as a young soldier and as a parent. Seen all angles of this place from aspect of being a kid, a wild soldier hitting the bar scene and as a parent. Not knowing your desires it is hard for me to give you any input. Do you like tourist trap stuff, eating out all the time? There is a ton to do there and the limits are on what you want to spend.

The one constant with MB during peak is-Traffic and crowds everywhere, this will be a very busy weekend. The cabin fever nuts will be in full force. You're going to have a blast, but just be prepared for how busy it will be.
I'd say the can't miss touristy stuff. Good seafood places. Etc. thanks for the reply.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:28 AM   #4
Lame *****

OK tourist stuff:

Suggest you all go downtown one evening and do the walk around and look ordeal.
We park a block up from up in the public parking garage at 9th Ave. Pretty central spot but it is a pay lot. Do the board walk thing , walk down the street hitting up some shops and people watch. Couple old nostalgic spots from the old days is Peaches, The Bowery and The Gay Dolphin.

Another evening check out Broadway or Barefoot Landing. They are both big tourist trap from hades. They have all kinds of the chain eateries and little shops that are the typical places that separate your money from your pocket. Take your pick or do both, but these are the touristy shopping hot spots. We’ve been to both and usually hit one up just for an evening event.

If you like dinner shows they have took off in MB. There was a few last time I was there. I can’t say more about that since I have never done any dinner show.

For seafood we skip MB and go to Murrells Inlet there is a place called Lee’s. We have ate there a few times and had good results. The inlet is cool and has many places to chow down at that are not the buffet style places. However the best for us is to stop at Harreslson’s and grab a bunch of fresh seafood and mixings then go back to camp to grill, fry and cook it myself. I will hit that place up 2 times while there and just gorge like crazy on seafood 3 meals a day for a week. Being 600 mile inland I got nuts on fresh seafood when I can get it. If you do that take a cooler and ask them for ice, traffic can be brutal. I also hit up a local veggie fruit stand right outside the campgrounds on the west side of 17, they have always done me right. There is a touristy restaurant Giant Crab it is south of the campgrounds towards Murrells Inlet, it is a buffet and always has a big dinner line. People seem to like it. There is also a Crabby Mikes that is very busy all the time. As far as breakfast if you want to do an early run check out Mammy’s Kitchen, it is on business 17 close to downtown. It is one of the oldest mom and pop’s left. One thing with MB, if every place is busy except one, avoid the non-busy one. Every time we tried the non-busy one we found out why it wasn’t busy.

There is a half decent Camper World there we like to go walk around in the retail store.

Oh yea the wife likes the Christmas Mouse shop that is close to the airport sit on the west side of 17. All she talks about for the month leading up to our trip?

Pirate Land should be crazy for kids if it is like Lake Wood and Ocean Lakes as far as children’s activities. Make sure you see what they offer. Spend a day at the beach. Stop by a Wings or the Wally Mart there and get some cheap beach toys for the kids. They have a decent Wally Mart there, has a ton of beach stuff and usually best prices compared to the other places like Wings and Eagles.

Heck you won’t have trouble finding stuff to do. Putt-Putts all over, can take a chopper ride, zip lines and just about everything imaginable.

I really think you will have a good time but I can’t stress to set your expatiations on crowds and traffic. That is the big MB problem and a holiday weekend is going to be wild.

Just keep in mind the biggest attraction there is that big body of water and sand. Make sure you all enjoy the beach and have fun.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:32 PM   #5

Thanks for the very detailed reply Maggot! Lots of info to digest there. Again, thanks.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:56 PM   #6
Lame *****

You're welcome Squirrel really am glad to share some info and hope I helped. I have a soft spot in my heart for that crazy place from 49 years of good times, and a few bummer deals there. MB is a cool place for us.

Check out old pics of The Pavilion. Really cool nostalgic MB.

Which route you planning to come in on?
Old 04-25-2019, 07:35 AM   #7

We are in MB right now. Just be aware that everything is overpriced. And, as the other poster pointed out, traffic is horrible (at any time of year).

I don't know much about Pirateland except that it is big. We stay at Cypress Resort, a much smaller campground.

My son lives here and runs a landscaping business that we jointly own.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot View Post
You're welcome Squirrel really am glad to share some info and hope I helped. I have a soft spot in my heart for that crazy place from 49 years of good times, and a few bummer deals there. MB is a cool place for us.

Check out old pics of The Pavilion. Really cool nostalgic MB.

Which route you planning to come in on?
Thanks again for the info. Coming down from the Richmond VA area.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:07 PM   #9

Pirate Land Memorial Day weekend

We are at Pirateland now, in my opinion Ocean Lakes is better, both about the same price. Memorial Day through Labor Day is tourist season, we try not to go then. A employee of Ocean Lakes said on the Fourth of July there will be 40,000 people there. I like Crabby Mike’s for all you can eat crab legs, not real cheap, not the best crab legs
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
We are at Pirateland now, in my opinion Ocean Lakes is better, both about the same price. Memorial Day through Labor Day is tourist season, we try not to go then. A employee of Ocean Lakes said on the Fourth of July there will be 40,000 people there. I like Crabby Mike’s for all you can eat crab legs, not real cheap, not the best crab legs
Thanks. Only ended up at Pirate Land because I made the reservation last week and they had an opening if you can believe it. Had to fit something in before my DIL is too pregnant to go.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:09 PM   #11

Hi, we live in MB, and have stayed at pirate land. Many have left good suggestions and information. A note of caution Memorial week/weekend is Atlantic beach bike week, AKA black bike week, the county and city set up a special one way 20+ mile loop to control traffic etc. this results in road closures, limited access and extremely slow travel. You can get information about this ‘traffic loop’ online search for Myrtle beach Memorial Day traffic loop. Thanks for visiting, hope you enjoy your vacation.
Pete usn ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete usn ret View Post
Hi, we live in MB, and have stayed at pirate land. Many have left good suggestions and information. A note of caution Memorial week/weekend is Atlantic beach bike week, AKA black bike week, the county and city set up a special one way 20+ mile loop to control traffic etc. this results in road closures, limited access and extremely slow travel. You can get information about this ‘traffic loop’ online search for Myrtle beach Memorial Day traffic loop. Thanks for visiting, hope you enjoy your vacation.
Thanks for the info Pete.