Old 02-06-2019, 02:39 PM   #1
Catfish1953

Planning for Maine/Northeast

Just curious about best places for boondocking and dry camping in the northeast/Maine area. Looking at several apps looks like Walmart Supercenters are not as available for an overnight stay as in other areas of the country. May be wrong about that. Not looking to camp just stop for a night traveling. What time of year is the best to go. Spring or Fall either is ok, we can live with or without crowds. What is a must see in the Maine, Vermont etc..... areas that might not be as highly publicized as other attractions. Sorry for so many questions and yes we are researching ourselves.

catfish1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:43 PM   #2

Fall is leaf peeping season if you time it right and can be very pleasant weather with comfortable days and cool nights. Not much boondocking hereabouts except state parks. Favorite destinations for us if you have a few days to look around:

VT: Brattleboro area with its funky downtown and many great restaurant choices. We stay at Kampfires campground just north of town. Easy on/off I-91.

NH: The Squam Lake area with nice kayaking and bike riding and an easy drive to Lake Winnepesaukee for the touristy stuff and an evening lake dinner cruise. We stay at Ames Brook campground in Ashland.

Our tastes run toward more laid back campgrounds where the best entertainment is an evening by the fire, so your mileage might vary.
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:22 PM   #3

I agree with stephndudb . Best time to visit New England is in the fall. October will give you the best of the foliage viewing which can be spectacular. Just be aware that most campgrounds close after Columbus day in the northern states. It would be a good time of year to take train rides for foliage viewing either on the Green Mt Railway out of Bellows Falls, VT or the Conway Scenic Railroad in Conway, NH which goes into the heart of the White Mountains. Conway is a tourist town and offers a lot of shopping and dinning opportunities and other activities.

Also in NH you can take a ride on the tramway in Franconia Notch or the Cog Railway to the top of Mt Washington. Coastal areas in Maine and New Hampshire are good tourist areas and have a lot to offer for a variety interests
As for boondocking opportunities, I agree with stephndudb that there isn't much. I would check with the Walmart Stores especially away from the tourist areas. I have stayed at one a couple of times in Woodsville, NH. During the summer we stay Goose Hollow Campground in Thornton, NH in the White Mt region.

Good luck and enjoy your visit.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:47 PM   #4
Catfish1953

Thanks for the info ! We will add these to the list of things while creating a travel plan (well a loose plan) Plans are for changing and were very flexible.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:20 PM   #5
RETIRED AND LOVING IT

There is dispersed camping in the Green and White MTN national parks check out the Park web pages, The only one I've been by in the White Mtns had a heck of a rough road to get to it. I've seen campers in Walmarts in Scarborough,ME and Burlington ,VT. We favor the northern state parks,your rig should have no problem. Check out the state park web pages and you'll find details on most camp sites
2016 Ford Race Car Red 350HD Diesel Cargo Van HR DRW EXT "Red Roamer"
"I am in the prime of my decrepitude"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:53 PM   #6

We went to Vermont and Maine last year and I cannot give boondocking info as we stayed at campgrounds. We went the end of August and didn't have any problems with crowds.

We love Stowe, Vermont. Lots of breweries and awesome scenery.

And we stayed in Boothbay, Maine, and really enjoyed that as well. Its a cool little harbor town and was not very crowded at all in late August.

Have fun it is beautiful

East to West Della Terra 25KRB
camperwes413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:43 PM   #7

You might try some of the ski areas for boondocking they have huge parking lots that are usually empty, I know out west some ski areas let you. Also in Maine I believe you can stay at LL Bean's parking lot.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:28 PM   #8

You can dry camp for a fee at Hampton Beach State Park. We usually go there every other weekend when it opens. You can fill up your water tank or empty the black tank there as well. When you planning this trip?
Duneit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:46 PM   #9
Catfish1953

Just gathering info we would like to go late summer or later. It may not happen this year. Not sure. We realize crowds for fall viewing will be a problem, we will have time to go slow not rush. Its kinda like having season passes to Disney you just do a few things at a time don't get in a rush. We will have the ability to add days if needed or we just want to stay longer. Weather permitting. Thanks for the input.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:12 AM   #10
RETIRED AND LOVING IT

Generally speaking September/October weekdays wouldn't be a problem , weekends could be.
2016 Ford Race Car Red 350HD Diesel Cargo Van HR DRW EXT "Red Roamer"
"I am in the prime of my decrepitude"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote