Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2018, 10:43 AM   #1

Poor Farmers RV Park in Ohio

Any recent knowledge of the Poor Farmers Park near Dayton Ohio?
I found one set of posts from a couple years back where it was recommended and a follow-up that seemed to indicate a lot of iron in their water....
Reading their info, it seems like the park is open year round - so a possible stop for snow birds heading to or from the south.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:50 PM   #2

I hardly ever look at reviews for campgrounds that I’m only plan on being at for one night
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:54 AM   #3

We've never camped there but they do RV sales and our 2005 Coachmen class A was originally sold from there. Even though we purchased the rig from Camping World in Cincy, we've actually used Poor Farmers as our go to source for info. They are always very helpful.

I don't know about the iron in the water but you can always use your on board water if you're not staying too long. Otherwise having them available to service your rig while you're camping there is a great perk.

They seem like great people.
2005 Coachmen Santara 3690ts
Weekend camping
Sports media business use.
sinjin79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:11 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I don't know about their service, and if they even still sell new units. I think they mostly deal in used. Have never camped there, but know some that have. It has a lot of seasonal sites and I've heard that it can (or has) get rowdy in certain sections. There mostly likely is a lot of iron in the water there.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:41 PM   #5
MCTroy

Poor farmers as a stop over

Poor farmers has been around a song as I can remember . I would not suggest it as a stop over. Nice folks and we bought a camper there many years ago. But this is not close to anywhere. Definitely out if the way from I75. Depending on where you are headed, there could be much better options.
Our favorite when traveling north and south is Whispering Hills in Georgetown,KY. Very easy to get to and a very nice rv park. About 30 minutes south of Cincinnati.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:33 PM   #6
Jack of All Trades

We full-time and Poor Farmers is our summertime home. It is 8 miles off I75 at the Piqua exit. Beside the campground, they sell Coachman new trailers and 5ers, used RV’s, parts, and have a pretty good service department (we’ve used to them to fix several things). All the staff, park, sales, parts, and service are friendly and helpful.

Yes, there is a lot of sessional and full-timers in the park, but all are very friend. We’ve been there 4 years, and we and not have any “rowdy” incidents.

Short stays are in grassy area with electric and water, and a few sites with sewer (they do have a dump station, also). The water is from wells, and does have some clear iron, but we have not had any problem with staining of water appliances.

They are open year around, but they do shut off the water to most of the park November to mid-April. They do have heated restrooms and showers.

It’s not a Disney Fort Wilderness, just a nice campground for overnight, weekend, or a week or two. Piqua, and Troy (about 12 miles south) have a good selection of stores and restaurants, and Dayton is about 25 miles south with a lot of things to do, especially if you are a airplane enthusiast, the National Museum of the United States Air Force is at Wright-Patt Air Force base in Dayton.

Their website is Poor Farmer's RV Sales,Service and Campground Inc. and their Facebook page is at www.facebook.com/poorfarmersrv.

Overall, we like it.

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:46 PM   #7

8 reviews here: Poor Farmer's RV Sales, Service & Campground - Fletcher, OH - RV Park Reviews

Generally good to excellent.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:51 PM   #8

Thanks everyone. I've been looking for a spot about 200 miles from my home parking spot as a place to get the tanks cleaned out and give me an easy last days drive. Looks like Poor Farmers will fit the bill. Even open thru the winter in case we head down to Florida or Texas. Sounds like they almost always have a site open for a one night stop.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:14 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

A previous secretary of mine lives across the road from Poor Farmers.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:11 AM   #10

Most folks do not know, but central Ohio is somewhat dry.

Most water is from wells.

Living in Dayton we have well water.

On the 0-10 scale of hardness we are about 13.

However the water here is very good. Hard on pipes.

It is said the largest river in the US is here. Just underground!
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:36 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Most folks do not know, but central Ohio is somewhat dry.

Most water is from wells.

Living in Dayton we have well water.

On the 0-10 scale of hardness we are about 13.

However the water here is very good. Hard on pipes.

It is said the largest river in the US is here. Just underground!
As of late, Ohio is either a large inland lake that covers most of the entire state or a barren desert, depending on the day. I just hope summer falls on a weekend this year!
Old 04-19-2018, 05:52 PM   #12

Just got home (central OH) from snow birding in FL today. We like Whispering Hills in Georgetown, KY - exit 129. Full service sites, not fancy but fine for an overnight or two. We also tried two KOA’s we hadn’t before. Chattanooga North/Cleveland, TN, (exit 20), and Cordele KOA, in Cordele GA. Both the KOA’s are older, small family CG’s with full hookups, kept up. Both are just a couple turns off of I-75 & truck stop stations close by for gas or diesel. Stayed a couple times at the Lazy Days CG in Tampa (exit 10 on RT 4 - first exit east of 75/4 intersection). Nice CG with mostly back-in sites, full hookups. Pilot next door with 2 RV islands with gas & diesel. Hope this gives you some more to check on..

Tags
ohio