Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 07:22 PM   #1

Question for Tar Heels re. the "No Alcohol" rule in NC state parks

How rigorously is it typically enforced? I stayed at Falls Lake State Recreation Area last month for five nights and saw no obvious law enforcement at all, much less anyone able to monitor the contents of campers' cups. I'll be at South Mountains State Park in August with family. There may be some in the crowd who might be tempted to ignore the rule. Discretely and quietly, of course.

Seems like it would be tough to enforce at all anyway until and unless campers are openly flaunting it or getting rowdy.
2006 Honda GL1800 Gold Wing (the reason for the toy hauler)
Jimbo K. is offline   Reply
Old 07-06-2022, 08:04 PM   #2

Discreetly and quietly, you may be alright. Seems to depend who is "in charge" and who is on duty. We are never rowdy or loud, but have had issues in the past. Just sitting around the campfire with a beer (in a coozie) and they threatened to call the cops unless we left in the morning. One of the reasons we drive the extra couple hrs to Virginia. I'd recommend a Corp of engineers park or federal before I'd go to a NC state park. Or just keep it in your camper, I don't think they can legally enter your camper unless you give them permission (or a reason to).
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply
Old 07-06-2022, 09:35 PM   #3

I have only seen the rule enforced when campers were drunk and got loud or started bothering others. I think if you or others camping with you drink, you should put it in a cup or koozie. Don't drink and go find a park ranger to talk to. lol
bigmurph is offline   Reply
Old 07-06-2022, 10:45 PM   #4

In 20 plus years I never had a problem. Just use common sense and don't be an idiot.
mysery1 is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2022, 04:03 AM   #5

not 100% sure but I believe campgrounds are allowed to drink
day use NOT allowed
Old 07-07-2022, 06:15 AM   #6

I think the reason for the rule is it is sometimea difficult to prove someone has been rowdy but easy to tell if they have been drinking. Usually the rowdy ones have had too much to drink.
the raven is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2022, 07:26 AM   #7

Never had a problem in the 20+ years of camping at Jordan and Falls Lake campgrounds. Normally just keep alcohol in tumblers and discreetly covered with bottle and can cousy's. That, and not getting loud and rowdy after drinking and giving them cause to stop at our campsite. If you do that, you shouldn't have any problems.

I'm surprised to hear you camped at Falls Lake this year. I understand the campgrounds there are supposed to be closed (at least that's what it says on their web site) and not accepting any reservations until early 2023. Web site indicated they're closed as they upgrade all campsites with 50 amp electric service, which I think is great and way overdue.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2022, 08:44 AM   #8

Thanks to all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat48 View Post
One of the reasons we drive the extra couple hrs to Virginia. I'd recommend a Corp of engineers park or federal before I'd go to a NC state park.
Being in Virginia, Virginia campgrounds are my usual destinations. I chose this area for the convenience of my brother-in-law's children. They live in or near the NC mountains and we expect them as day visitors to the campsite.

I usually look for federal CGs first to get my 50% senior discount. But I didn't find any COE CGs nearby. I did find a USFS CG with hookups (electricity being essential in August for AC) further west (near Asheville, IIRC), but that was a little too far for me to want to haul the trailer in one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
I'm surprised to hear you camped at Falls Lake this year. I understand the campgrounds there are supposed to be closed (at least that's what it says on their web site) and not accepting any reservations until early 2023. Web site indicated they're closed as they upgrade all campsites with 50 amp electric service, which I think is great and way overdue.
The current electric upgrade work is at Rolling View. That happened to be where I originally booked a site, back in December. Apparently they expected the work to be done by June. Then in May they emailed to say it wouldn't be done (another supply chain victim), offering to transfer the reservation to Holly Point (or to Shinleaf in case I was a tent camper). I was surprised that plenty of sites at HP were still available just a month out, especially given that part of our stay was over a weekend.

Looks like HP gets its upgrade next year.
2006 Honda GL1800 Gold Wing (the reason for the toy hauler)
Jimbo K. is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2022, 09:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo K. View Post
The current electric upgrade work is at Rolling View. That happened to be where I originally booked a site, back in December. Apparently they expected the work to be done by June. Then in May they emailed to say it wouldn't be done (another supply chain victim), offering to transfer the reservation to Holly Point (or to Shinleaf in case I was a tent camper). I was surprised that plenty of sites at HP were still available just a month out, especially given that part of our stay was over a weekend.

Looks like HP gets its upgrade next year.

Jim, thanks for that information! I thought all of their campgrounds were getting this upgrade, not just Rolling View. In the past we've always stayed at Rolling View because of the extra wide and nicely manicured sites it has. However, I'll be looking to get into one of the other two in the upcoming Fall season, knowing there's availability at that park.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:08 AM   #10

Never seen the very common "no alcohol" restrictions in ANY state park enforced unless the campers are causing a disturbance at which time the rule allows them to be ejected. Alcohol drinks are properly served in Red Solo cups so everyone knows what's going on. Don't be an AlfaHotel and you'll be fine.

-- Chuck
Old 07-07-2022, 09:52 AM   #11

I'm sorry I don't understand why people have to have booze to have a good time and no I do drink some at home .
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2022, 10:21 AM   #12

Like you said -- you obviously don't understand.

-- Chuck
Old 07-07-2022, 10:48 AM   #13

Don't need to have a good time .
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2022, 11:06 AM   #14
Fla5er

The key is to be cool about the alcohol and not cause a disturbance: use common sense if you choose to consume alcohol.
If the park you're staying at has a recycle bin for aluminum or glass, take a look inside. There's plenty of consumption going on. The authorities know it.
FlaNative is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2022, 11:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo K. View Post
How rigorously is it typically enforced? I stayed at Falls Lake State Recreation Area last month for five nights and saw no obvious law enforcement at all, much less anyone able to monitor the contents of campers' cups. I'll be at South Mountains State Park in August with family. There may be some in the crowd who might be tempted to ignore the rule. Discretely and quietly, of course.

Seems like it would be tough to enforce at all anyway until and unless campers are openly flaunting it or getting rowdy.
If it's the law, it's the law and if your 'guests' ignore the rule, it's a misdemeanor.
Old 07-07-2022, 01:10 PM   #16

It's an easy way for campground authorities to get rid of noisy drunks. They don't really care if somebody has a drink or 3. Just don't be "that" guy..
1100mike is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2022, 04:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
If it's the law, it's the law and if your 'guests' ignore the rule, it's a misdemeanor.

Misdemeanor ticket is all you'll receive IF they're looking for it and catch you outside with open containers. Due to funding cutbacks, there just aren't many park rangers in the smaller state parks in and around Raleigh as there used to be. If you do happen to see one, they'll leave you alone as long as your not loud and behaving obnoxiously....nothing really to worry about.
Old 07-07-2022, 05:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
Misdemeanor ticket is all you'll receive IF they're looking for it and catch you outside with open containers. Due to funding cutbacks, there just aren't many park rangers in the smaller state parks in and around Raleigh as there used to be. If you do happen to see one, they'll leave you alone as long as your not loud and behaving obnoxiously....nothing really to worry about.
Nothing to worry about other than you're breaking the law. I'm sorry. I just don't understand why it's ok to break the law.

Does that mean I can remove other items from the park, go in prohibited areas, operate my drone, etc. just as long as I don't get caught? Nevermind... I see people violating rules all the time because they don't think they'll get caught.
I like a drink too, but I do it in park where it's legal.
Old 07-07-2022, 05:52 PM   #19
ARLO

Rules and laws

So what you’re saying is that Rules and procedures are just suggestions that don’t need to be followed. Wrong. You’re there for a reason you’re supposed to follow them. If you don’t like the rules go somewhere else.
rlocicero is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2022, 06:04 PM   #20
Part-Time Campground Host

Mods..you should shut this one down. Let common sense prevail.
The original OPs question has been answered.
Just my 2 cents!
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1651
cboss is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
question