Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2022, 07:22 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Posts: 157
Question for Tar Heels re. the "No Alcohol" rule in NC state parks

How rigorously is it typically enforced? I stayed at Falls Lake State Recreation Area last month for five nights and saw no obvious law enforcement at all, much less anyone able to monitor the contents of campers' cups. I'll be at South Mountains State Park in August with family. There may be some in the crowd who might be tempted to ignore the rule. Discretely and quietly, of course.

Seems like it would be tough to enforce at all anyway until and unless campers are openly flaunting it or getting rowdy.
__________________
2021 Cherokee Wolf Pup 18RJBBL toy hauler
2021 Toyota Tundra
2006 Honda GL1800 Gold Wing (the reason for the toy hauler)
Jimbo K. is offline   Reply
Old 07-06-2022, 08:04 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 255
Discreetly and quietly, you may be alright. Seems to depend who is "in charge" and who is on duty. We are never rowdy or loud, but have had issues in the past. Just sitting around the campfire with a beer (in a coozie) and they threatened to call the cops unless we left in the morning. One of the reasons we drive the extra couple hrs to Virginia. I'd recommend a Corp of engineers park or federal before I'd go to a NC state park. Or just keep it in your camper, I don't think they can legally enter your camper unless you give them permission (or a reason to).
__________________
Old- 2002 21 Roo
New- 2015 Shamrock 23 IKSS
TV- 2010 Nissan Titan CC
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply
Old 07-06-2022, 09:35 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 441
I have only seen the rule enforced when campers were drunk and got loud or started bothering others. I think if you or others camping with you drink, you should put it in a cup or koozie. Don't drink and go find a park ranger to talk to. lol
bigmurph is offline   Reply
Old 07-06-2022, 10:45 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 67
In 20 plus years I never had a problem. Just use common sense and don't be an idiot.
mysery1 is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2022, 04:03 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Tarpon Springs FL
Posts: 144
not 100% sure but I believe campgrounds are allowed to drink
day use NOT allowed
__________________
Tarpon Springs FL
2022 Salem 24RLXL
Aussieguy is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2022, 06:15 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Long Island
Posts: 23
I think the reason for the rule is it is sometimea difficult to prove someone has been rowdy but easy to tell if they have been drinking. Usually the rowdy ones have had too much to drink.
the raven is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2022, 07:26 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 989
Never had a problem in the 20+ years of camping at Jordan and Falls Lake campgrounds. Normally just keep alcohol in tumblers and discreetly covered with bottle and can cousy's. That, and not getting loud and rowdy after drinking and giving them cause to stop at our campsite. If you do that, you shouldn't have any problems.

I'm surprised to hear you camped at Falls Lake this year. I understand the campgrounds there are supposed to be closed (at least that's what it says on their web site) and not accepting any reservations until early 2023. Web site indicated they're closed as they upgrade all campsites with 50 amp electric service, which I think is great and way overdue.
__________________
2020 Forest River Sabre 37FLH
2013 Ford F-350 XL Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel DRW
Tulip, the Wonder-Shepherd
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2022, 08:44 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Posts: 157
Thanks to all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat48 View Post
One of the reasons we drive the extra couple hrs to Virginia. I'd recommend a Corp of engineers park or federal before I'd go to a NC state park.
Being in Virginia, Virginia campgrounds are my usual destinations. I chose this area for the convenience of my brother-in-law's children. They live in or near the NC mountains and we expect them as day visitors to the campsite.

I usually look for federal CGs first to get my 50% senior discount. But I didn't find any COE CGs nearby. I did find a USFS CG with hookups (electricity being essential in August for AC) further west (near Asheville, IIRC), but that was a little too far for me to want to haul the trailer in one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
I'm surprised to hear you camped at Falls Lake this year. I understand the campgrounds there are supposed to be closed (at least that's what it says on their web site) and not accepting any reservations until early 2023. Web site indicated they're closed as they upgrade all campsites with 50 amp electric service, which I think is great and way overdue.
The current electric upgrade work is at Rolling View. That happened to be where I originally booked a site, back in December. Apparently they expected the work to be done by June. Then in May they emailed to say it wouldn't be done (another supply chain victim), offering to transfer the reservation to Holly Point (or to Shinleaf in case I was a tent camper). I was surprised that plenty of sites at HP were still available just a month out, especially given that part of our stay was over a weekend.

Looks like HP gets its upgrade next year.
__________________
2021 Cherokee Wolf Pup 18RJBBL toy hauler
2021 Toyota Tundra
2006 Honda GL1800 Gold Wing (the reason for the toy hauler)
Jimbo K. is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2022, 09:03 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo K. View Post
The current electric upgrade work is at Rolling View. That happened to be where I originally booked a site, back in December. Apparently they expected the work to be done by June. Then in May they emailed to say it wouldn't be done (another supply chain victim), offering to transfer the reservation to Holly Point (or to Shinleaf in case I was a tent camper). I was surprised that plenty of sites at HP were still available just a month out, especially given that part of our stay was over a weekend.

Looks like HP gets its upgrade next year.


Jim, thanks for that information! I thought all of their campgrounds were getting this upgrade, not just Rolling View. In the past we've always stayed at Rolling View because of the extra wide and nicely manicured sites it has. However, I'll be looking to get into one of the other two in the upcoming Fall season, knowing there's availability at that park.
__________________
2020 Forest River Sabre 37FLH
2013 Ford F-350 XL Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel DRW
Tulip, the Wonder-Shepherd
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2022, 09:08 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Chuck_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 3,135
Never seen the very common "no alcohol" restrictions in ANY state park enforced unless the campers are causing a disturbance at which time the rule allows them to be ejected. Alcohol drinks are properly served in Red Solo cups so everyone knows what's going on. Don't be an AlfaHotel and you'll be fine.

-- Chuck
__________________
2006 Roo 23SS behind a 2017 Ford Expedition
Chuck_S is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2022, 09:52 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 158
I'm sorry I don't understand why people have to have booze to have a good time and no I do drink some at home .
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2022, 10:21 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Chuck_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 3,135
Like you said -- you obviously don't understand.

-- Chuck
__________________
2006 Roo 23SS behind a 2017 Ford Expedition
Chuck_S is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2022, 10:48 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 158
Don't need to have a good time .
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2022, 11:06 AM   #14
Fla5er
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: DeLand, Florida
Posts: 145
The key is to be cool about the alcohol and not cause a disturbance: use common sense if you choose to consume alcohol.
If the park you're staying at has a recycle bin for aluminum or glass, take a look inside. There's plenty of consumption going on. The authorities know it.
FlaNative is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2022, 11:18 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 6,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo K. View Post
How rigorously is it typically enforced? I stayed at Falls Lake State Recreation Area last month for five nights and saw no obvious law enforcement at all, much less anyone able to monitor the contents of campers' cups. I'll be at South Mountains State Park in August with family. There may be some in the crowd who might be tempted to ignore the rule. Discretely and quietly, of course.

Seems like it would be tough to enforce at all anyway until and unless campers are openly flaunting it or getting rowdy.
If it's the law, it's the law and if your 'guests' ignore the rule, it's a misdemeanor.
__________________
2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
Reverse_snowbird is online now   Reply
Old 07-07-2022, 01:10 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 317
It's an easy way for campground authorities to get rid of noisy drunks. They don't really care if somebody has a drink or 3. Just don't be "that" guy..
1100mike is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2022, 04:13 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
If it's the law, it's the law and if your 'guests' ignore the rule, it's a misdemeanor.

Misdemeanor ticket is all you'll receive IF they're looking for it and catch you outside with open containers. Due to funding cutbacks, there just aren't many park rangers in the smaller state parks in and around Raleigh as there used to be. If you do happen to see one, they'll leave you alone as long as your not loud and behaving obnoxiously....nothing really to worry about.
__________________
2020 Forest River Sabre 37FLH
2013 Ford F-350 XL Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel DRW
Tulip, the Wonder-Shepherd
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2022, 05:52 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 6,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
Misdemeanor ticket is all you'll receive IF they're looking for it and catch you outside with open containers. Due to funding cutbacks, there just aren't many park rangers in the smaller state parks in and around Raleigh as there used to be. If you do happen to see one, they'll leave you alone as long as your not loud and behaving obnoxiously....nothing really to worry about.
Nothing to worry about other than you're breaking the law. I'm sorry. I just don't understand why it's ok to break the law.

Does that mean I can remove other items from the park, go in prohibited areas, operate my drone, etc. just as long as I don't get caught? Nevermind... I see people violating rules all the time because they don't think they'll get caught.
I like a drink too, but I do it in park where it's legal.
__________________
2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
Reverse_snowbird is online now   Reply
Old 07-07-2022, 05:52 PM   #19
ARLO
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: N Chili, NY
Posts: 891
Rules and laws

So what youíre saying is that Rules and procedures are just suggestions that donít need to be followed. Wrong. Youíre there for a reason youíre supposed to follow them. If you donít like the rules go somewhere else.
rlocicero is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2022, 06:04 PM   #20
Part-Time Campground Host
 
cboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 2,309
Mods..you should shut this one down. Let common sense prevail.
The original OPs question has been answered.
Just my 2 cents!
__________________
Craig & Cath
2018 2902WS Rockwood Ultra Lite (with tons of Mods)
2022 F250 Lariat Super Cab, 7.3 gas w/10 Spd Xmsn
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1272
cboss is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
question

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 AM.