Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2016, 10:33 AM   #1

RI - Campgrounds

Didn't want to hijack the other RI/Cape thread.

My wife and I have never camped in RI and we were thinking of hitting Martha's Vineyard while there and Newport. I've traveled to RI before and toured some of the area but it was only day trips. We have a 2 and 5 year old so looking for campground options out there where it is not too far away.

We've found a few and although we would like something where we are not on top of each other, as long as it is full hookup, 50amp and clean, we don't really care about a ton of activities being available. Since most of our time will be more driving around and touring, we will basically be using our camper as a place to sleep.

With that said, was wondering if anyone has had experience with either of these campgrounds. All 3 seem to be under the same management or ownership.

Ashaway RV Resort

Whispering Pines Campground

Melville Ponds Campground

Any other suggestions are welcome but trying to stay within a decent driving distance to the above activities and these seem to fit what we are looking for.

To add, our camper is 40ft long.

Thanks
Old 04-14-2016, 01:37 PM   #2

We have been to Ashaway. It is new, lots of places for long campers with some good activities for kids. There are very young trees planted so it is all sun in 99% of the park. We went in the spring and fall to avoid baking. The owners are helpful. It is closer to Westerly. Whispering Pines only allows one dog so we haven't been there. It is probably a little less conveniently located. I would go back to Ashaway but we also really like Fisherman's Memorial in Narragansett. If you don't need activities for kids that are structured, it is a great location closer to the beach and what you are looking for. The full hook ups go fast.
Lm2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:55 PM   #3

Thank you, I just called Ashaway and they have plenty of openings and 1 pull through so I think I'll nab the last pull through which will be nice not having anyone behind us.

I can't believe it is $89 per adult and $66 per child to take the ferry to Martha's Vineyard... maybe we won't be going for the day lol.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:14 PM   #4

We also stayed at ashaway last fall. Had a great time.
schnauzer mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:07 PM   #5

We have been to Ashaway as well and we really like it.

2016 Trips:16 Nights:41
2015 Trips:13 Nights:29
2014 Trips:13 Nights:31
CarolinaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:09 PM   #6

We've stayed at Mellville Ponds several times. It's small but the sites are nice and not too close to each other. They do not have sewer sites as far as I know. We've always had to dump when we left. Also not sure about 50 amps. Make sure you check if that's a deal breaker.

It's a relatively easy drive to Newport from there so it makes that part convenient.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you have, if I can.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhudg View Post
We've stayed at Mellville Ponds several times. It's small but the sites are nice and not too close to each other. They do not have sewer sites as far as I know. We've always had to dump when we left. Also not sure about 50 amps. Make sure you check if that's a deal breaker.

It's a relatively easy drive to Newport from there so it makes that part convenient.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you have, if I can.
When I was emailing back and forth, they did say they have both full hookups and 50 amp. When checking their website, it does show the full hookups per the link below. However, Facilities section it only lists 30 amp despite them saying they have 50amp.

That wouldn't be a deal breaker as I have an adapter but prefer 50amp service so I don't have to worry about running the AC and microwave and possibly 2nd AC depending on time of year.

Camping in Rhode Island - Melville Ponds - Rates & Reservations

Little over 5 weeks away, can't wait!!
Old 04-19-2016, 08:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blwnsmoke View Post
When I was emailing back and forth, they did say they have both full hookups and 50 amp. When checking their website, it does show the full hookups per the link below. However, Facilities section it only lists 30 amp despite them saying they have 50amp.
Okay, sorry about the misinformation, I do see that they show some Full Hookup sites. FWIW, of the S sites they show, I got the impression that most of those sites were seasonals. Obviously, if you got what you need, it doesn't matter what I may have assumed.

Enjoy your trip!
Old 05-17-2016, 07:16 PM   #9

Take ferry to Block Island , cheaper. Also check Groupon, lots of ocean trips.
critt61626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:33 PM   #10

Good suggestion on Groupon.. Will take a look and see what they offer for the area.

We are doing an adult only weekend in August to Block Island with 3 or 4 other couples so I'll save the ferry there for that weekend.

Tags
mpg