Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2024, 07:57 PM   #1

Route 58 in Virginia

Looking at Grayson Highlands State Park. But it would mean traveling from Volney, Va to Damascus Va on Hwy 58. We have a 2860 Sunseeker 31 foot.

Does anyone have input on this route? Are there length restrictions? What kind of grades?
laprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 08:29 PM   #2

RV sites seem to be limited to 40' units. The two tallest elevations in VA are in or near the park but these are baby mountains and all under 5,000'. This trailer looks to be bigger than your motorhome. Photo is off the campground website.

US 58 is a major road traveled by heavy tractor trailers every day. Not sure what you're going to do in either Volney or Damascus. Where ya coming from? You can run your route at ground level ("street view") on Google Earth.

-- Chuck
Old 02-14-2024, 08:31 PM   #3

We went through there in June 2023. None of the elevation changes were memorable. Very curvy with some switchbacks but the turn radius wont be a problem for a 31footer. There was a lot of construction going on. It appears they are turning it into a 4 lane.
Old 02-14-2024, 08:38 PM   #4

Danger! Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laprez View Post
Looking at Grayson Highlands State Park. But it would mean traveling from Volney, Va to Damascus Va on Hwy 58. We have a 2860 Sunseeker 31 foot.

Does anyone have input on this route? Are there length restrictions? What kind of grades?
DANGER! DANGER!
On US 58, just east of I-95 is Emporia, Virginia. It--and the surrounding county, Greensville County--are known NATIONWIDE as being one of the worst speed traps in the county. Although 58 is a great ride, 4-lane divided, mostly arrow-straight and almost completely flat, it is crowded with police officers, city, county, and state, all giving tickets. We drive this regularly--it's between house and campground--and we always use cruise control, locked in at the speed limit. We usually see about three tickets being given each time.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 08:42 PM   #5

The state plan is to turn all of Rt58 into a four lane. It was started over 30 years ago. The progress is slow.

The town of Independence to I77 Is a nice 4 lane for the most part. I am not familiar with west of Independence so I am of limited help. East of there I have driven Rt 58 numerous times.

As has been mentioned above tractor trailers do drive the road and it was the major route before the interstates. Yes it will be curvy.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 08:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
DANGER! DANGER!
On US 58, just east of I-95 is Emporia, Virginia. It--and the surrounding county, Greensville County--are known NATIONWIDE as being one of the worst speed traps in the county. Although 58 is a great ride, 4-lane divided, mostly arrow-straight and almost completely flat, it is crowded with police officers, city, county, and state, all giving tickets. We drive this regularly--it's between house and campground--and we always use cruise control, locked in at the speed limit. We usually see about three tickets being given each time.
You are correct for that area, but RT 58 west of Stuart VA to the western end is hilly and curvy. Some two lane areas some four lane areas. I am sure the area that they are asking about is two lane and curvy.

I will say this I77 / I81 Rt 52 in Wythe County is also a speed trap.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 02-14-2024, 08:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
RV sites seem to be limited to 40' units. The two tallest elevations in VA are in or near the park but these are baby mountains and all under 5,000'. This trailer looks to be bigger than your motorhome. Photo is off the campground website.

US 58 is a major road traveled by heavy tractor trailers every day. Not sure what you're going to do in either Volney or Damascus. Where ya coming from? You can run your route at ground level ("street view") on Google Earth.

-- Chuck
Thanks. We will be coming back from MD and heading back (eventually), to New Mexico. Spending July and Aug in the W Va, E Tn area. I was planning staying 14 days at Grindstone, but just found out the CG is closed. So, redoing the itinerary.
Old 02-14-2024, 08:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
You are correct for that area, but RT 58 west of Stuart VA to the western end is hilly and curvy. Some two lane areas some four lane areas. I am sure the area that they are asking about is two lane and curvy.

I will say this I77 / I81 Rt 52 in Wythe County is also a speed trap.

With the rig, I do the speed limit or below, so, not a problem. Hopefully, there will be passing opportunities for the big rigs and others...I don't like being a engine in front of a long train - lol. (this is the folks behind me).
Old 02-14-2024, 09:07 PM   #9

Do not know what your time is like but you could travel from the MD area off I81 get on the Skyline Drive which becomes the Blue Ridge Parkway travel South to Rt58 get off at Meadows of Dan and go across toward Grayson Highlands.

Not sure where in West VA you need to go though.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 02-14-2024, 09:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Do not know what your time is like but you could travel from the MD area off I81 get on the Skyline Drive which becomes the Blue Ridge Parkway travel South to Rt58 get off at Meadows of Dan and go across toward Grayson Highlands.

Not sure where in West VA you need to go though.

We did that last year - unfortunately, the Canada fires made the visibility suck. I meant Western Va. We plan to stay at the Lynchburg moose lodge for a few nights and then head into the mountains. We would be at Grayson around 1 Aug.

Do you know about Va state parks. Do you have to pay an entry fee, if you have a CG reservation?
Old 02-15-2024, 07:03 AM   #11

Maybe someone can help you with fee question. We have not camped in a VA State park in over 10 years. I do know if they would charge for entry but any extras like swimming they did.

Lynchburg is not too far off of the Blue Ridge parkway. If you do go that way I will say this getting on or off the Parkway at Rt 43 is very curvy. .The Bedford / Lynchburg side is just Ok but the north Buchanan side is not recommended for RVs. I think south of Roanoke there are a couple of closures that require a detour due to bridge repairs. The smoke has long gone and the views are back. We live near Buchanan and the Canadian smoke and our own Virginia fires were definitely noticeable here. (we live about 15 miles north of the Parkway).

I81 traffic is heavy with tractor trailers. You might also go to Lynchburg coming from the north on Rt 29.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 02-15-2024, 08:02 AM   #12

I do not believe you have to pay an entrance fee if you have a campsite reserved. Last summer we stayed at Lake Anna St Park with friends. At the entrance gate, we told the attendant that we had a reservation, and she instructed us to go to the campground office, no fee was asked for or collected.
Old 02-15-2024, 11:11 AM   #13

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
DANGER! DANGER!
I must be either lucky or blind. I've driven 58 a couple of times a year for many years in all seasons and weather. I'm attuned to spotting police, being a retired one myself, and in all those trips from 95 to the CBBT and back I can recall exactly two sightings - - one stationary at a road construction site, and the other parked and unoccupied at a Dairy Queen.

CAMPING (n. CAM-ping) - When you walk the dog in your pajamas with a cup of coffee in one hand and a bag of dog poop in the other while striking up a conversation with total strangers.
PopFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 03:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPcamper View Post
I do not believe you have to pay an entrance fee if you have a campsite reserved....
To confirm for the OP, that is true for all VA state park CGs.
2006 Honda GL1800 Gold Wing (the reason for the toy hauler)
Jimbo K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 07:43 PM   #15

please make sure you down shift on the up and down hills on way to grayson highlands and not burn out your brakes
G Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 08:53 PM   #16
Site Team

Moved thread from the Forester and Sunseeker sub-forum to the On the Road/Travel Chat section's Eastern USA sub-forum since the OP's post is specific to that sub-forum and not to Forester and Sunseeker motorhomes.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 08:00 AM   #17

Nothing additional for original poster but another WARNING about a SPEED TRAP on 58.
In Suffolk, there is construction from the west side of the bypass for about 5 miles. They have installed cameras to monitor speed and issue tickets in the work zone. I received one in January while heading south. It was right after News Years Day and workers still on Holiday. Nonetheless, I receive a $100 ticket in the mail. My son lives in Suffolk and told me that they have raised 3.1 million since cameras went up in July. I was going the original speed limit, but over the reduced speed as was the rest of traffic that day. They must have made a fortune. Be careful.

Herdpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 09:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herdpiper View Post
Nothing additional for original poster but another WARNING about a SPEED TRAP on 58.
In Suffolk, there is construction from the west side of the bypass for about 5 miles. They have installed cameras to monitor speed and issue tickets in the work zone. I received one in January while heading south. It was right after News Years Day and workers still on Holiday. Nonetheless, I receive a $100 ticket in the mail. My son lives in Suffolk and told me that they have raised 3.1 million since cameras went up in July. I was going the original speed limit, but over the reduced speed as was the rest of traffic that day. They must have made a fortune. Be careful.
Great information but the OP will be on Rt 58 about 350 miles, west of that area.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 02-23-2024, 09:49 AM   #19

Why is exceeding the posted speed limit a "Speed Trap?" Are there deliberately hard-to-see speed limit signs and deliberately concealed traffic signs?

-- Chuck
Old 02-24-2024, 04:33 PM   #20

Thanks for all the advice. I decided we will stay at Raccoon Branch and take a day trip to Grayson with the toad. Hopefully the state park has a nice accessible shower.