Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2022, 01:06 PM   #1

RT 9 VT to NH

Heading out next week on our 2 week trip and will going to Maine. One leg of the trip we will be leaving from Niagara Falls and heading east to Portland ME. The route we are considering is RT 9 through the southern part of VT and NH. Can anyone give me the grade percentages along this route?
kbirkenfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 01:18 PM   #2
Mopar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbirkenfeld View Post
Heading out next week on our 2 week trip and will going to Maine. One leg of the trip we will be leaving from Niagara Falls and heading east to Portland ME. The route we are considering is RT 9 through the southern part of VT and NH. Can anyone give me the grade percentages along this route?
If you are looking to do the trip with some speed, this is not the way to go. If you want to see some scenery its a good drive. The worst part of route 9 through vermont and NH is hogback mountain. Cant get a good run on it, That being said, ive towed plenty through there and never had a problem. and its a major thoroughfare for tractor trailers.
Cost4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 01:40 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice. What other alternate route would you suggest?
Old 07-06-2022, 07:06 AM   #4
Mopar Guy

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. What other alternate route would you suggest?
if you're goal is to do niagara falls to portland ME quick,

Id take 90E (ny thruway - MA Pike) to 290E To 495N to 95N
Old 07-06-2022, 07:19 AM   #5

Thanks for the alt route. We are trying to go to every state in the union and we are needing to go thru VT and NH. Would route 9 be the best way or is there any other route better from Albany NY?
Old 07-06-2022, 07:30 AM   #6

We take 9 from Brattleboro, VT to NH all the time. Have done it with a travel trailer and fifth wheels. Nice drive. Much more pleasant than the interstates.
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 07:53 AM   #7
Mopar Guy

Quote:
Thanks for the alt route. We are trying to go to every state in the union and we are needing to go thru VT and NH. Would route 9 be the best way or is there any other route better from Albany NY?
take 9, Like i said originally you shouldnt have any problems it is a common route for big trucks. Ive done it several times towing a 36ft enclosed race trailer.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:49 AM   #8

thanks for the recommendation....I'm not totally worried I've climbed some extreme grades 10% (Teton pass, Jackson, Wy) so I'm thinking it can't be that bad.
Old 07-06-2022, 11:58 AM   #9
Mopar Guy

Quote:
thanks for the recommendation....I'm not totally worried I've climbed some extreme grades 10% (Teton pass, Jackson, Wy) so I'm thinking it can't be that bad.
its no where near that bad.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:15 PM   #10

It does get a little tight when you go thru Wilmington with parking on both sides of the street, but we are usually there during ski season so plowed streets probably help with that.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 07:07 PM   #11

Quote:
I have a part time gig driving a charter motorcoach and take that route A LOT! Rt. 9 over Hogback Mountain in VT is very steep, 8% mostly. Also, there is a major reconstruction project and the road is torn up and down to gravel, with alternating one way traffic.

A couple different routes you could take, stay on I-90 to I-91 north in West Springfield, MA. then Rt 9 east in Brattleboro, VT. or I-90 in NY to I-87 north, to NY 7,which will take you through Troy, NY and into VT. VT 7 north to VT 11 east to I-91 and there are a couple different routes east through NH to ME.

There are no "highway" east-west roads in NH or VT so you will be on state roads. Let me know if I can help any other way.
Steve Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:02 AM   #12

Thanks for the heads up on the road construction!! I'm starting to realize there is not an "easy" way to cross the 2 states. VT 11 looks like a good road and nothing to crazy. After you get to springfield, where would you suggest to go thru NH? I am open to any suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Marshall View Post
I have a part time gig driving a charter motorcoach and take that route A LOT! Rt. 9 over Hogback Mountain in VT is very steep, 8% mostly. Also, there is a major reconstruction project and the road is torn up and down to gravel, with alternating one way traffic.

A couple different routes you could take, stay on I-90 to I-91 north in West Springfield, MA. then Rt 9 east in Brattleboro, VT. or I-90 in NY to I-87 north, to NY 7,which will take you through Troy, NY and into VT. VT 7 north to VT 11 east to I-91 and there are a couple different routes east through NH to ME.

There are no "highway" east-west roads in NH or VT so you will be on state roads. Let me know if I can help any other way.
Old 07-07-2022, 08:04 PM   #13

Directions

Couple different thoughts:
Very scenic, less direct- Stay on VT 11 to I-91, I-91 north to Exit 8 VT 131 east into NH, which becomes NH 11. NH 11 east through several towns to I-93 north. From there you can get off at Exit 32 for Rt 112 east. After you get through the town tourist trap area you'll be on the Kancamaugus Highway which will get you over to Rt 302 east in Conway and that will take you into Portland from the north.

A second very scenic drive is to stay on 93 through the Franconia Notch Parkway to exit 35 and take NH 3 north to Rt 302 east which takes you into Conway from the north.

If you want to go the more direct route, stay on NH 11 to New London,take I-89 south to I-93 south to Rt 101 east to I-95 north.

This will give you some info on the scenic routes. Safe travels (FYI, either way you go, when you're on NH 11 in town of Sunapee, about 2 miles before I-89 south, you're in front of my house. Got 3 bathrooms and a place to pull over.... just saying.

Safe travels!

Steve

https://westernwhitemtns.com/scenic-drives-2/

Kancamagus Scenic Byway: The Kancamagus Highway ...

https://kancamagushighway.com

Old 07-25-2022, 12:10 PM   #14

Appreciate the input....I ended up just taking VT9 and actually it was a good road but the expectation of the construction. The store on top was a pretty good stop to get some maple syrup!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Marshall View Post
Couple different thoughts:
Very scenic, less direct- Stay on VT 11 to I-91, I-91 north to Exit 8 VT 131 east into NH, which becomes NH 11. NH 11 east through several towns to I-93 north. From there you can get off at Exit 32 for Rt 112 east. After you get through the town tourist trap area you'll be on the Kancamaugus Highway which will get you over to Rt 302 east in Conway and that will take you into Portland from the north.

A second very scenic drive is to stay on 93 through the Franconia Notch Parkway to exit 35 and take NH 3 north to Rt 302 east which takes you into Conway from the north.

If you want to go the more direct route, stay on NH 11 to New London,take I-89 south to I-93 south to Rt 101 east to I-95 north.

This will give you some info on the scenic routes. Safe travels (FYI, either way you go, when you're on NH 11 in town of Sunapee, about 2 miles before I-89 south, you're in front of my house. Got 3 bathrooms and a place to pull over.... just saying.

Safe travels!

Steve

https://westernwhitemtns.com/scenic-drives-2/

Kancamagus Scenic Byway: The Kancamagus Highway ...

https://kancamagushighway.com

Old 07-31-2022, 07:18 PM   #15

Glad you had a good trip and the view at the top was clear (but next time through NH syrup is better... however I may not be an unbiased judge of that!).

Safe travels