Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2020, 08:49 PM   #21

If you are in Hinsdale MA between June 1st and oct 1st I can save you some walking. You can walk one way and I can pick you up and bring you back to your RV.

https://www.fernwoodforest.com/
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:40 PM   #22

X2 on big meadow campground. I hiked a few miles of the trail from my rv. A small bear was two hundred feet from my site blocking the trail,small delay but you've got to love nature man.
redskins2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:40 PM   #23

Here is another one in PA. Stonybrook RV resort in Lehighton PA 2 miles from the AT near Bake Oven Knob. They only have a few transit sites. Have not stayed here.

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:37 PM   #24

Hot Springs Resort and Spa, Hot Springs, NC. The Appalachian Trail runs through Hot Springs. RV Sites $30/night. https://traveltips.usatoday.com/plac...lina-4938.html
Kat2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat2009 View Post
Hot Springs Resort and Spa, Hot Springs, NC. The Appalachian Trail runs through Hot Springs. RV Sites $30/night. https://traveltips.usatoday.com/plac...lina-4938.html
this!

A great little town and campground on a river with the trail passing by the campground entrance.
2007 Thor Cub 165 hybrid
Husky round bar hitch
2006 Honda Shadow and 13ft canoe in the truck bed
TKPINSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:45 PM   #26

Must do AT base CG...

Set up your Base Camp at Vogel State Park near Blairsville GA. In sets in a bowl several thousand feet below the Blood Mountain shelter on the AT. A trail from the park to the shelter is a 10ish mile r/t with 5k feet elevation gain. Another trail from the park, Coosa Backcountry, is a 12ish mile loop also with 5k feet of gain...we do them often. Many of the great GA terminus AT sections are near here...
Trigeekbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:32 AM   #27
Newly Retired

Hike or RV

Seems to me that after hiking some miles, to have to turn around and go back because you left the RV behind, is going to double your journey. Why not put your RV in a storage spot near the trail and get a ride from there. Do the trail in segments. 2184 miles is a long walk to do just one time.
Unles you are just doing, day hikes I think the RV is not needed.
Steveboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:20 AM   #28

Daughter and I section hiked approx. 300 miles of the AT the summer of '18 in 2-4 night outings. Here are some of the web sites we used to plan our hikes. We often parked at a shuttle driver's location. They would drop us at a trail head. We would then hike back to the car.

Shuttles along the trail: https://whiteblaze.net/forum/shuttles-2016.php

Trail Elevations: https://whiteblaze.net/forum/shuttles-2016.php

AT Parking: https://whiteblaze.net/forum/shuttles-2016.php

AT Shelters: Appalachian Trail Shelters Google map

AT distance calculator: https://www.atdist.com/

The best place to ask specific questions about the AT: https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forum.php

Have fun!!

2015 Brookstone 315RL
2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD Diesel 4x4 CC LB LEMON
Hatchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:44 AM   #29

The Great Smokey Mountain National Park is a great place to camp. The Appalachian Trail runs right through it.
pt35cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:47 AM   #30

Laura creek in Damascus, VA

laurelcreekrvpark.com

I have stayed there. Nice location and not very expensive about $30 a night. But it is very no frills. There is not a bath house but have full hookups and when I was there last year free firewood. It is also right on the trail and the Virginia Creeper bike trail goes through the town which is a nice 20+ mile downhill bike trail.

The town is also a nice little town with some good restaurants. The campground backs up to Laura Creek so it is very pleasant.
akrug23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:06 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrug23 View Post
laurelcreekrvpark.com

I have stayed there. Nice location and not very expensive about $30 a night. But it is very no frills. There is not a bath house but have full hookups and when I was there last year free firewood. It is also right on the trail and the Virginia Creeper bike trail goes through the town which is a nice 20+ mile downhill bike trail.

The town is also a nice little town with some good restaurants. The campground backs up to Laura Creek so it is very pleasant.
Damascus is a very unique town. Keep in mind that Appalachian Trail Days is May 15 - 17, 2020.....you will either love it or hate it!! Might be impossible to get a spot at the RV park?

2015 Brookstone 315RL
2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD Diesel 4x4 CC LB LEMON
Hatchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:12 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiinthesky View Post
I would like to find a RV park as close as possible to the Appalachian Trail. My plan is to hike from my RV south for a few days than flip flop back to the RV. Repeat the same thing going North. I do see some parking lots at trail heads, its just those parking lots seem too small, isolated... Perfect for someone to break into the RV. Looking for RV spot anywhere along the trail. The whole 2100 miles. I do understand hiking is not a good idea during the winter time.

Thank You.
As someone that has hiked just over 1825 miles of the AT this may help you. There are campgrounds near the AT for the full length what I would suggest is this.
Find an area you would like to hike & then a campground in the area, then in the area that you are camped & hiking look for a shuttle driver. What the shuttle driver will do for a fee is pick you up at your RV take you out to a trail head & drop you off. Then you can hike back to your RV. When you get to where you want to end your hike call the driver to pick you up & return to your RV. When I hiked a few years ago most shuttle drivers charge between .50 t $1.50 per mile, this was for one or ten hikers.
If you go to https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forum.php
here you can find information on shuttle drivers.
Hope this helps & have a good hike.
Mike
siam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:26 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by siam View Post
As someone that has hiked just over 1825 miles of the AT this may help you. There are campgrounds near the AT for the full length what I would suggest is this.
Find an area you would like to hike & then a campground in the area, then in the area that you are camped & hiking look for a shuttle driver. What the shuttle driver will do for a fee is pick you up at your RV take you out to a trail head & drop you off. Then you can hike back to your RV. When you get to where you want to end your hike call the driver to pick you up & return to your RV. When I hiked a few years ago most shuttle drivers charge between .50 t $1.50 per mile, this was for one or ten hikers.
If you go to https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forum.php
here you can find information on shuttle drivers.
Hope this helps & have a good hike.
Mike

Www.whiteblaze.net/forum/at-shuttles.php

For shuttle listing

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 11:31 AM   #34

Campground near the Trail

River Bend Campground, Hiawassee, Georgia. This is a very nice, family owned, safe campground near the trail in North Georgia. The campground is well kept and very secure with the owners living just across the road. Hiawassee, Georgia is a favorite hiking destination for AP hikers. We see many hikers in town during the summer months where they replenish supplies. The nearest access point of the trail is Dick's Creek Gap. The address of the campground is 2626 Streak Hill Road, Hiawassee, GA. The actual distance from the campground to the trail at Dick's Creek is 7.6 miles. Many campers walk the distance while others choose to hitch a ride with fellow campers.
woodeyeNga is offline   Reply With Quote