Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2022, 04:17 PM   #1

Shenandoah/ Loft Mountain

Hey all, We are booking Loft Mt. in June, but we need some site recommendations. There are just way too many to pick from. We are taking the Jennny, so no sites in the gen free zone (looks like 161-207). Most sites are all pull thru and our Mini is only 25'. Thx a bunch!

2017 Mini Lite 2506S front kitchen

2018 GMC Sierra 1500
labcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:15 AM   #2

Also, looking at CG's on the Blue Ridge Pkw, if you have any fav's...thx again

2018 GMC Sierra 1500
Old 01-14-2022, 09:45 AM   #3

Shenandoah river state park is very nice, we stayed there once and plan to stay again.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:04 PM   #4

I was looking at Loft Mountain for May but couldn't find anything suitable in the generator zone. Just too small for me and companions, even with my relatively small TT. I ended up reserving a site at Big Meadows, just a few miles up Skyline Drive.
2006 Honda GL1800 Gold Wing (the reason for the toy hauler)
Jimbo K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 05:29 PM   #5

We camped at BM a few years ago, and Loft looks much nicer.
We were at the AT and many deer came by to say hello. May is nice, but it gets cool. enjoy!

2018 GMC Sierra 1500
Old 01-17-2022, 09:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by labcamper View Post
Hey all, We are booking Loft Mt. in June, but we need some site recommendations. There are just way too many to pick from. We are taking the Jennny, so no sites in the gen free zone (looks like 161-207). Most sites are all pull thru and our Mini is only 25'. Thx a bunch!
I sent you a PM about sites at Loft Mtn. It's a great campground in beautiful surroundings. The reservable sites are pretty popular, but the last time we were there we found that we could change campsites if something was available that we liked better. I don't know whether that's the policy, or if a single official was just being helpful.
On the Blue Ridge Parkway, I have camped at the Peaks of Otter for my entire life. It's a rugged, lovely area with lots of rewarding trails and views. The sites are primitive, and the reservable ones that are fairly flat are limited. But we have a 33' 5th wheel and can make it work.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by labcamper View Post
We camped at BM a few years ago, and Loft looks much nicer.
We were at the AT and many deer came by to say hello. May is nice, but it gets cool. enjoy!
I've camped at both and I agree. But it was tent camping 20+ years ago, so I don't have a good sense of whether Loft's sites will be suitable enough for me and my party. Therefore I'm playing it safe this time. While in SNP I'll reconnoiter Loft for my next trip.

I chose May because of the coolness, given that I won't be able to run the AC. With my lithium battery I should be able to run the 12V fridge, a couple of lights, and an occasional burst of furnace fan overnight if needed. The battery will easily recharge in the generator-allowed time windows.
2006 Honda GL1800 Gold Wing (the reason for the toy hauler)
Jimbo K. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loft, mount