Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2020, 03:46 PM   #1

Shenandoah NP, Smokey Mountain NP, Nashville

We are planning a fall trip through Shenandoah NP, Smokey Mountain NP, Nashville and to any interesting, fun places in between. We are finally retired and are not on any time restraints, although I'm thinking that we should be in the Smokeys or Shenandoah sometime during the last 2 weeks in October for the best foliage. We're looking for any recommendations for itineraries, campgrounds, routes, places not to miss, easy hikes to take, favorite fishing spots, distilleries to tour, etc. We are towing a FR 21FBRS (which we LOVE!) and prefer state and national parks but will do private campgrounds, especially when near more touristy, site-seeing destinations.
We will be starting from and returning to Lancaster, PA so we are looking for a suggested loop to follow. I guess some of the campgrounds start closing after October so that may be a consideration as well.
If you had a no time limits to travel through this part of the country, where would you go?
Thanks
jwalt313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 04:22 PM   #2

The campgrounds I have stayed at in NC that I will stay at again are:
Tuckaseegee Campground, Whitter NC, https://tuckaseegeervresort.com/

Stone Mountain State Park, Near Elkin NC, https://northcarolinastateparks.reserveamerica.com/

Buck Creek Campground, Marion NC, RV Park & Campground Marion NC - Near Linville, Asheville & Pisgah Forest | Buck Creek RV Park

There are plenty other state parks in the western North Carolina but they fill up quick.

2017 Forest River FR3 32DS
Retired Navy
Retired IT Professional
Blallen58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 04:55 PM   #3

Answering as a native Virginian ....

Shenandoah NP: I've stayed in all NPS campgrounds in the Park over the years and you can't go wrong with any of them if you can do without hookups. BUT, the park is EXTREMELY busy that time of year. Skyline Drive traffic is heavy and campgrounds are packed. So make your CG reservations well in advance and allow plenty of time on the Drive. (Allow time anyway throughout the year, for that matter; the speed limit is only 35 mph.)

In fact, expect busy-ness in all of the mountains of Virginia during peak fall colors.

The only private campground near the SNP I've stayed in is the Harrisonburg KOA. Good experience.

I assume you've checked out the Blue Ridge Parkway connecting SNP with the Great Smoky NP. I've never stayed in any of the federal campgrounds along the way but I've camped in a number of Virginia state park CGs. In general, Virginia does a pretty decent job with its campgrounds. More elbow room between sites than in most private campgrounds, well maintained facilities, clean restrooms (usually), courteous staff.

Another private campground I can suggest is in Montebello, not far off the Parkway. A few miles down the mountainside from there is Crabtree Falls, which offers various views of the falls via several hiking options, from a short paved handicap-accessible segment to a rigorous loop.

As part of your driving loop, consider central and eastern Virginia. Certainly not as scenic as the mountains, but lots of history if you like that. A big negative to that, however, is traffic in the I-95 corridor as you head to or from PA. I can try to answer any specific questions about this area if you're interested.

As for hiking: many possibilities for all skill & endurance levels. (I hiked Hawksbill, the tallest peak in SNP, just last Saturday. It's rated moderate in the NPS park literature, though for this old-ish and overweight-ish body, I'd rate it strenuous.) The Appalachian Trail more or less parallels the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia, with countless side trails to choose from instead of or in addition to the AT.

If you like music and its history, especially country, consider some or all of the Crooked Road in SW VA.

Enjoy! And spend plenty of money in VA!
Jimbo K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 04:57 PM   #4
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalt313 View Post
We are planning a fall trip through Shenandoah NP, Smokey Mountain NP, Nashville and to any interesting, fun places in between. We are finally retired and are not on any time restraints, although I'm thinking that we should be in the Smokeys or Shenandoah sometime during the last 2 weeks in October for the best foliage. We're looking for any recommendations for itineraries, campgrounds, routes, places not to miss, easy hikes to take, favorite fishing spots, distilleries to tour, etc. We are towing a FR 21FBRS (which we LOVE!) and prefer state and national parks but will do private campgrounds, especially when near more touristy, site-seeing destinations.
We will be starting from and returning to Lancaster, PA so we are looking for a suggested loop to follow. I guess some of the campgrounds start closing after October so that may be a consideration as well.
If you had a no time limits to travel through this part of the country, where would you go?
Thanks

I don't think they close at all up that way. When I lived in Virginia I camped up that way year around. Things may have changed though. In Shenandoah National Park area there are many quaint sites to see including a short drive to Monticello and near by Miche Tavern. Lots of other places as well. US 411 will take you to Pigeon Forge off I40/I81. We avoid those busy congested tourist areas and camp outside town, but Pigeon Forge does have many CG'S, all pricey. Near Smoky Mountain National Park near Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge near by Wears Valley is a beautiful drive with many quaint scenic areas and shops. Follow US 321 through Wears Valley into Townsend, TN. The Cultural Center in Townsend is awesome. Big Meadows CG in Townsend is the best choice there. Great place, nice owners and clean well managed CG. Highly recommend it. And if you do get to Townsend do not miss Cades Cove. Just outside Townsend, TN. Cades Cove is an approximate 11 mile drive through a historic valley where the first settlers were. Several old and original churches, barns and settlement. Cades Cove also has a very nice campground. Not sure if it is state or Federal but pretty sure it is Federal since the Rangers in the park wear National uniforms.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 05:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybeck2018 View Post
I don't think they close at all up that way. When I lived in Virginia I camped up that way year around.
Yeah, forgot to mention winter closings. To the extent any of them close, it won't be until later in the season when travel and business drop off. Most VA state park campgrounds close around the end of November. Four of them (with hookups) are open year-round, in case you're still wandering around Virginia in December. Three of them are in or near the mountains: Shenandoah River, Douthat, and Hungry Mother. The fourth, Pocahontas, is almost in my backyard in case you make a swing through central VA.
Jimbo K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 05:44 PM   #6

Shenandoah River State Park is a great campground, and is convenient to I-81 at Front Royal, and the Northern entrance to Skyline Drive/Shenandoah National Park.
I would second the suggestion to consider continuing from Skyline Drive straight down the Blue Ridge Parkway. Plenty of overnight camping options along the route.
Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 06:11 PM   #7

The Blue Ridge Parkway is a nice drive starting at Skyline drive. If you head south there is a temp detour near Roanoke (not bad). The drive may be repaired by the time you travel. The BRPW at RT 220 in Roanoke has a Walmart just south of and almost on the parkway for supplies. Further South there is The Chateau Morrisette Winery just off the parkway I believe in Floyd County. Nice restaurant and wine tasting........ Before Rt 58 next county (Carroll County) is Mabry Mill (nice original grist mill) on the parkway, Great pancakes at the Gift shop / restaurant.

Hopefully Covid hasn't changed things forever.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 06:14 PM   #8

As others have said October is peak leaf color season and very busy time for the areas. The peak colors can come any time during October depending on the weather. Some years better color than others.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount