Old 01-29-2020, 09:17 AM   #1

Shenandoah River State Park

We're planning a trip down to Shenandoah River State Park for five nights over spring break. Teen-aged girls are excited about nearby zip line and ropes course. Us adults are looking forward to hiking & biking in the state park in addition to the nearby Shenandoah National Park. I'm hoping there's sufficiently enjoyable paddling along the river to make it worth bringing our canoe along.

Has anyone familiar with this area any suggestions for things not to miss? Perhaps restaurants or pubs of note? Maybe other parks with hiking and/or biking trails? Historic or cultural sites we might enjoy? Any other suggestions I haven't even thought of?

Thank you all in advance
mdarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:54 AM   #2

Your trip

Don't forget to visit the caverns nearby, they are beautiful to tour.
https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-p...by_attractions
Have a great time!
Mr. Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:06 AM   #3

I haven't done anything over there yet, but heard it was nice. I would say, however, there seems to be a problem with Lyme disease in that area.

Just mentioning it so you're aware.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:26 PM   #4

Thank you, Mr. Steve. I looked up caverns in Skyline and Luray. Both look like a good way to spend a day.

IchLiebeBier, thank you for the heads up. We're pretty good about applying repellents it wooded areas. We'll be extra careful this time out.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:31 PM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdarmody View Post
Thank you, Mr. Steve. I looked up caverns in Skyline and Luray. Both look like a good way to spend a day.
Both cavern locations are good. Dress warmly....
Itís cooler below ground than a hot day above...ask me how I know.

I canít remember exactly but I believe thereís a great campground very close to Luray.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S with Trekker cap
and only rarely pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:47 PM   #6

This is a great State Park.
1. The river access is off of the back loop
2. Only AT&T has good coverage for voice and data
3. Electric but, no sewer hookups, there is a dump station
4. The sites are large and somewhat private

You will love it

2019 Salem FSX 179DBK
firemedicmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 02:15 PM   #7
2020 Salem 22RBS

This is on the South Fork of the river in Warren County which claims to be the "Canoe Capital of Va. There are three canoe rental locations near the park and they will take you to drop off points and pick you up. The river is rather calm with no serious rapids. There are several other camp grounds close by with full hook ups. See North Fork Resort and Skyline Ranch resort, FR RV campground .In terms of hiking Front Royal is the North entrance to Skyline Drive which offers miles of trails for hiking and mountain biking.
satellite494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:37 PM   #8
2020 Salem 22RBS

Further to above , Front Royal probably has the most restaurants per capita in the State. We have lots of small ethnic restaurants including a Nepalese cuisine, 3 Mexican, 4 Chinese, 7 or so Pizza outlets. Including the Melting Pot which according to some magazine has the "best" pizza in VA. you be the judge on that. TGIF, Applebes, Cracker Barrel 2 Toco Bells, one KFCs, 1 Burger King, 2 Mickey Ds 2 or 3 Subways, 3 Duncan Donuts , one a drive thru/eat in at the south end of town. If you want an interesting place try the Notty Pine bar for local color. The park is located almost half way between FR and Luray so you might want to investigate opportunities there. Hope this helps you.

Paul 28 years living on the south Fork FR VA
Old 01-30-2020, 07:53 PM   #9

Hikes

White Oak Canyon is a somewhat strenuous hike but it follows the stream and takes you to 3-4 waterfalls. The best way to access it is from the bottom through Sperryville. It can be accessed from the Drive but a good portion of the hike from there does not follow the stream, plus it is all downhill which means quite a hike back and the waterfalls are on the bottom half anyway.
There are several outfitters along the Shenandoah that will take you and pick you up for canoeing.
gkehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 12:08 PM   #10

Thank you all for the suggestions so far. We may need to plan another trip to fit it all in but, it sounds great so far. Please, keep 'em coming.

We've been in the habit of paddling to our bikes downstream and pedaling back to the truck to later retrieve the boat. This not only adds lower body to the workout but provides a second perspective to the scenery. I've been looking over the satellite pics on google maps for launch/pull out spots. If you folks have recommendations in that regard, it sure would help me out.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:02 PM   #11

We stayed at the Luray KOA and took a trip to Shenandoah River State park to check it out and it was one of the nicest State Parks I've been to.. The grounds and facilities are very well maintained and the setting is amazing. In addition to what was mentioned above, the Hiking along Skyline Drive is amazing but varied in terms of difficulty. My 2 favorites was Rapidan which they also run a daily shuttle to but you need reservations and Bearfence which has a great mountain top view and a short but cool rock scramble.

The other do not miss in the Luray area if you like BBQ is Triple Crown BBQ which is a roadside stand.

Also Monticello which is Thomas Jefferson's home is cool and rich in history. If you're only there for 5 days that might be a stretch since it's going to eat up an entire day.
Equalizer WDH
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:32 PM   #12
2020 Salem 22RBS

Note sure where you are planning to ride your bikes back to your truck but you should not ride on Rt 340 as this is a very heavily used narrow 2 lane road. In my view it would be too dangerous for that activity. Check out Buzzard Rock Hike off of Rt 219 for a great hike. This not far from Skyline Ranch Resort RV campground

http://skylineranchresort.com/

https://www.hikingupward.com/GWNF/BuzzardRock/
Old 02-01-2020, 02:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by satellite494 View Post
Note sure where you are planning to ride your bikes back to your truck but you should not ride on Rt 340 as this is a very heavily used narrow 2 lane road. In my view it would be too dangerous for that activity.
So far I've only been looking at the stretch of river that borders the state park. Paddling from Bentonville Boat Ramp to the canoe launch at north end of park. Bike ride back would be entirely within the park. Hopefully there'll be other sections of river suggested.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:29 PM   #14
2020 Salem 22RBS

If you cross the low water bridge at Bentonville, you can bike into the Hazard Mill Recreation area which should be a nice ride. Also Rt 613 Panhandle Road should provide some good riding.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ha...ecreation+Area
Old 02-01-2020, 02:37 PM   #15

Too bad you'll be so far north. Down toward Lexington and Natural Bridge there are several neat places to visit running the gambit from the Natural Bridge itself to Virginia Safari Park to Virginia Military Academy.

-- Chuck
Old 02-01-2020, 05:35 PM   #16
2020 Salem 22RBS

So much to do so little time. If you can do only one cavern it should be Luray. They have a car museum there also. You can then head west on that road to New Market battle field where the VMI cadets fought. There is also a Civil War Museum there as I recall. Natural Bridge has a small cavern and a wax museum.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:55 PM   #17

Our visit to this park was excellent. Floating down the river in our tubes was so much fun! Even the riverside trail to walk back to campground was nice. Sites are very nice. Luray Caverns were great.. Driving along the Skyway and hiking its trails were also very enjoyable. ZHave fun
tjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:50 AM   #18
DW's 401(k) Plan

DW and I have decided to do a recon trip tomorrow. Of course, we've planned to hit some shopping in the Winchester, VA area on our way down.
I've looked at the campgrounds on Google and they do look nice. I'm relatively confident we'll be making a trip down with the MH sometime after April.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post
Our visit to this park was excellent. Floating down the river in our tubes was so much fun! Even the riverside trail to walk back to campground was nice. Sites are very nice. Luray Caverns were great.. Driving along the Skyway and hiking its trails were also very enjoyable. ZHave fun
Which park are you referring to?
wayne272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:38 PM   #20

We live in Harrisinburg in Shenandoah Valley. Park is great. Harrisonburg has great restaurants. If going to cavern go to Grottoes or Luray. Lots of hiking trails.
Elliottrlbd is offline   Reply With Quote