Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2020, 07:02 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
I really do not think you will have any issues. It is a nce drive. The speed limits are about 45 so dont be in a hurry.

A few of the accesses are step but not all. The drive itself is not at all bad.

Yes, there are some spots where you can get up to 45mph, but there are many 25-30mph spots.

Take your time (obviously) and enjoy the spectacular scenery!
JohnBj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:38 PM   #22

As has been said before, lots of spectacular scenery!

We came back south to north from Massanutten towards home (southern Delaware) and family units got bored so we bailed after about half way. Took a TON of time with pictures and such. We estimated a couple hours for the whole ride, but blew that estimate out of the water...

Something else to check out if you have the time is Luray Caverns if you haven’t already been.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:03 PM   #23

Skyline Drive / Blue Ridge Parkway

Your post is timely. We just finished a drive from Asheville up the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Skyline Drive to Front Royal, VA. We also have a 2250 Sunseeker (2015) and the trip went great. There are some tunnels along the BRP and one on the Skyline Drive, but all are suitable for your 11' height. The lowest tunnel I remember was on the Skyline Drive and was listed at 12' 8" at the lowest point, but higher in the center. The parkways are all in good shape with the exception of a 15 mile area around Roanoke, VA that is closed due to some road collapses. You will have to exit the Parkway in that area and take a detour through Roanoke. Otherwise, you should have no problems with the roadway. It is an epic drive with beautiful vistas, an abundance of short day hikes and good campgrounds along the way. We found that there was very little traffic except on the north end of the Skyline Drive which was a little busier, but not bad at all.
Tim Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:28 AM   #24

I have not driven my rig through Marys Rock Tunnel but I have witnessed people stopping traffic so that a big class A could drive down the middle of that arched tunnel. Traffic did back up during that time.
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:14 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Don't ask don't tell...................... You are traveling through the moonshine capital of the world.....
This begs the question that only you can answer. Does OSHA pay visits to these “manufacturing” facilities to make sure everything is in compliance? Surely bad things can happen if these artisans aren’t following OSHA guidelines.

Do OSHA inspectors “confiscate” any product they determine to be unsafe for public consumption, or do they call-in the USDA for sampling first? I can picture it in my head: OSHA, USDA and ATF all sitting around a still in homemade hickory chairs analyzing the product.

Bruce
Old 09-25-2020, 08:16 AM   #26
Canadian Member

I’d much rather drive the Blue Ridge Parkway (and the Tail of the Dragon in the same area) on motorcycle if that’s an option.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:41 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I’d much rather drive the Blue Ridge Parkway (and the Tail of the Dragon in the same area) on motorcycle if that’s an option.
But PLEASE, PLEASE don't drive the tail of the dragon with an RV!!! It's great fun on a motorcycle, but downright dangerous with a large vehicle.
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:59 AM   #28

Talking update

We are back from our trip to OBX, skyline drive and blue ridge parkway. We hit no snags on skyline drive or the parkway. Great trip. The detour on the parkway was a pain, but doable. Tunnels were just fine for our class c. Stayed in many of the national park camps and some are definitely better than others, but all fine. Thanks for all you guys and your help.
North Texas Retirees having fun
The dog is part Yorkie and part Rottweiller - figure it out!
We did the dna tests lol.
popshumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ridge