Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2019, 10:04 PM   #1

Smoky Mountains in March

Greetings All

I am considering making a trip to the Smoky Mountains around March 20th of 2020. Good idea or bad idea?
I will be pulling my Cherokee Wolf Pup. I am not familiar with the weather and roads during this time frame. Will there still be snow and ice in the mountains. I am not sure the exact area yet, but maybe close to Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge, but out from them a short distance.
I will be coming from NW Arkansas

Any thought would be appreciated.
Thanks
JesseP
JesseP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:30 PM   #2

We visited the Smokey Mountains spring 2018 during Easter break. It was the very end of March last year and the weather was comfortable. We were hiking in long pants and t shirts with a fleece at higher elevations. I would say high 60's to low 70's most days.

Check out Anchor Down campground. A few miles outside of Pigeon Forge. Very nice facility and a great staff.
gojeepgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:05 AM   #3

We did it over the kids' spring break...must have been 3 years ago already. Wasn't an issue except the blizzard in Kentucky on the way down.

https://i.imgur.com/Cx771Q6.jpg?1

But this was a few days later (and a few miles south, of course).

https://i.imgur.com/jiNOhC2.jpg?1
aeblank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseP View Post
Greetings All

I am considering making a trip to the Smoky Mountains around March 20th of 2020. Good idea or bad idea?
I will be pulling my Cherokee Wolf Pup. I am not familiar with the weather and roads during this time frame. Will there still be snow and ice in the mountains. I am not sure the exact area yet, but maybe close to Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge, but out from them a short distance.

Thanks
JesseP
Anytime I am going someplace that I am not familiar with, I check out wunderground.com.

it gives alot of weather information in particular the averages for the days that you are planning to visit.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:38 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

The weather there in March towards the end of the month is typically cool but not cold and very little snow if any. Lows are usually in the mid 30ºs and highs around 60º-65º. Of course anything can and does happen.

I would have no qualms for late March.

Clingman's Dome and crossing over the mountain towards Cherokee, NC could be a different story.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:06 AM   #6

Clingman doesn't open till after memorial day. So check that out. We were bummed.
aeblank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:06 PM   #7
CGK
Camping with Labs

We stayed at Anchors Down near Pigeon Forge in June, and made day trips to the mountains twice during our stay. Really nice campground, but it was hot as blazes (93 to 98 degrees) during the day, and not particularly cool at night. Apples to oranges, right? Maybe. It was raining up on the mountain, and the temperatures were in the low 60s. Felt great compared to the campground. But the roads on the mountain were not overly wide and I wondered how fun it would be to pull the TT up and down those winding hills any time of year. Also decided that November to March would be the time to go to Anchors Down to avoid that heat. Since several have responded not to worry about cold weather and all that comes with it that time of year, my initial concern about weather in the hills was apparently unfounded. But I'd still check typical weather conditions online to be sure you'll be comfortable with what you will likely encounter - and plan for the unexpected. It is a beautiful place to visit, so be safe and have fun!
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:11 PM   #8

I would check to see when the Blue Ridge Parkway is opened, unless it has changed, it use to be closed during the winter months.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walholler View Post
I would check to see when the Blue Ridge Parkway is opened, unless it has changed, it use to be closed during the winter months.
it closes when snow is on it not very often that I see I live here.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseP View Post
Greetings All

Thanks
JesseP
I live here weather does change bring a change a cloths but for the much of you stay you will be happy also that depends and how high you stay in mnts. We have many who live years round in there campers in RV parks.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:29 PM   #11

Rarely any snow in March, except higher elevations and rarely enough to close roads or make driving hazardous for more than a few hours. You'll beat all the out of school traffic, you'll miss many of the springtime blooms, good hiking and campfire weather. Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge don't shut up and their season runs most of the year. A few places are seasonal. You'll enjoy the beauty and ease of getting around hiking, biking or driving around. Just over the mountain is Maggie Valley which is a nice lazy place to be. Look at a detailed map to see how much is within a 30 minute drive in any direction. Check out the National Forest sites. We go all over the area and never stay at the same place twice, even if we like it.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:34 PM   #12

In mid March we did 441 off I40 and got as far as Gatlinburg. The road was closed due to snow and ice. We had to back track to I40 to continue south. After that I signed up for Tennessee road closing alerts. I think it was on TDOT web site.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
In mid March we did 441 off I40 and got as far as Gatlinburg. The road was closed due to snow and ice. We had to back track to I40 to continue south. After that I signed up for Tennessee road closing alerts. I think it was on TDOT web site.
this was because you were heading it mnts
Old 08-27-2019, 07:01 PM   #14

My point is, that you can sign up for road closing alerts through TDOT.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:14 PM   #15

Quote:
My point is, that you can sign up for road closing alerts through TDOT.
that's cool I guess we don't think of that because we live here all the time. What a place low taxes great people pace, so once you get away from the tourist area.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:25 PM   #16

Thanks for all of the responses. This will help
JesseP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo111 View Post
that's cool I guess we don't think of that because we live here all the time. What a place low taxes great people pace, so once you get away from the tourist area.
Yes we love Tennessee and especially the Smokies. We can make it from mid Michigan to somewhere around Knoxville for first night on our way to Florida. From I-75 we go east on I-40 to 441 south to 23 south to get around Atlanta. We try to avoid Gatlinburg on the bypass. Wish Pigeon Forge had a bypass.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:00 AM   #18

Quote:
Yes we love Tennessee and especially the Smokies. We can make it from mid Michigan to somewhere around Knoxville for first night on our way to Florida. From I-75 we go east on I-40 to 441 south to 23 south to get around Atlanta. We try to avoid Gatlinburg on the bypass. Wish Pigeon Forge had a bypass.
Now that Pigeon Forge has completed it's main 4 lane RD traffic really isn't bad any more just need to know which lane to be in to get by more quickly.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:10 AM   #19

Smoky Mountains in March

you can always Google the Weather Channel and look up what the temps are in March and April for the Gatlinburg and Smoky Mountain areas. Last 2 summers we stayed at the Greenbrier Campground just outside Gatlinburg off 321. Their site is SmokyMountainCamping.com or Google Greenbrier Campground, Gatlinburg, Tn. We love going there. Around 100 campsites for all size units and tent camping, plus cabin rentals. The Little Pigeon River surrounds the complete campground with site on the river. No pool but you can swim in the river at the beach they have. Really nice and recently renovated restrooms and shower facilities. Only about 4-5 miles outside Gatlinburg. The owners are very friendly and accommodating and go to great lengths to make sure your stay with them is the best experience possible. Pet friendly, but rules for them as usual. We were there this past June and last year was in August. we'll be going back again this summer, in 2020. We're from central Florida, so it's a days drive for us. Hope you have a Great time.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:11 PM   #20

we also stayed at Greenbrier. loved it. very relaxing listening to the river run. full hook ups, very clean showers, great staff.
mike830 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount