Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2020, 12:00 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 19
Snowbird traveling to Maine

Good day. We’re new to traveling with a travel trailer and go back and forth from Maine to Florida. We have pets and usually make our trip North and South a 3 day journey. We’re tired of staying in motels that take pets, haven’t found any nice ones in 6 years, and bought the camper for our travels. Our question, any recommendations as to route and good campgrounds for overnights?
Many thanks!
Chris C.
cvcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:21 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
CentralMePistol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Central Maine
Posts: 194
We live in Maine and travel regularly in the summers for extended times. We try to minimize our campground stay for "overnighters." We have found that paying full price to be there for 12 hours or less just isn't worth it to us. On top of set up and other stuff....
We try for Walmart's, Cabela's, and the like. We have found the Cabela's in Hartford CT to be a great breaking point on our trips heading south. (Leaving from Bangor area)
After that it is really a matter of picking locations that are convenient to the highway and safe. We try to avoid stoping at Walmarts in the major cities and shoot for the in-between pit stops. At times we will actually do our stops in the rest areas during Rush hours and drive overnight to avoid traffic.
We will do campgrounds every 3 days or so in order to shower, dump, etc.

Unfortunately there is no "best route" heading south. The only tid-bit I might suggest is to follow I-84 into Newburgh NY before heading south so that you can avoid NYC and the bridges there. Other than that....
__________________
2018 Cherokee 274DBH
2012 GMC Sierra 1500
4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3 KDL HD Cooling, 3.42 ratio
Recurve R6 WDH w/Sway Control & SumoSprings

Days Traveled:2019-37 / 2018-30
CentralMePistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:38 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralMePistol View Post
We live in Maine and travel regularly in the summers for extended times. We try to minimize our campground stay for "overnighters." We have found that paying full price to be there for 12 hours or less just isn't worth it to us. On top of set up and other stuff....

We try for Walmart's, Cabela's, and the like. We have found the Cabela's in Hartford CT to be a great breaking point on our trips heading south. (Leaving from Bangor area)

After that it is really a matter of picking locations that are convenient to the highway and safe. We try to avoid stoping at Walmarts in the major cities and shoot for the in-between pit stops. At times we will actually do our stops in the rest areas during Rush hours and drive overnight to avoid traffic.

We will do campgrounds every 3 days or so in order to shower, dump, etc.



Unfortunately there is no "best route" heading south. The only tid-bit I might suggest is to follow I-84 into Newburgh NY before heading south so that you can avoid NYC and the bridges there. Other than that....


Thank you so much for your reply, we too travel from Bangor area North to Newport April and South to Florida in October. We have pets so we need to be careful where we stop... Thanks again!
Chris C.
cvcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:19 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvcian View Post
Thank you so much for your reply, we too travel from Bangor area North to Newport April and South to Florida in October. We have pets so we need to be careful where we stop... Thanks again!
Chris C.


Any advice from anyone traveling through Fancy Gap Va? Never been through with travel trailer... better route through the area?
Thanks!
cvcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:33 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 8
We go from SC to Maine every summer. I like route 2 to Montpelier, up to Burlington, across to Ticonderoga. Then I-88 to I-86 to I-81. Beautiful route and no tolls!
50panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:34 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 9
We are traveling to the Bangor area of Maine likely in the fall. Can you recommend any campgrounds. We are self contained, so we don't need hook ups, just a quiet safe place to base out of as we explore that area of Maine.
Thanks!
GMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:41 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50panhead View Post
We go from SC to Maine every summer. I like route 2 to Montpelier, up to Burlington, across to Ticonderoga. Then I-88 to I-86 to I-81. Beautiful route and no tolls!


How do you get from SC to That area? What route?
cvcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:08 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
CentralMePistol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Central Maine
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50panhead View Post
We go from SC to Maine every summer. I like route 2 to Montpelier, up to Burlington, across to Ticonderoga. Then I-88 to I-86 to I-81. Beautiful route and no tolls!
Dear goodness that is the long way to get there! Talk about can't get there from here!!!

A nice drive but at least a day or two extra.
__________________
2018 Cherokee 274DBH
2012 GMC Sierra 1500
4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3 KDL HD Cooling, 3.42 ratio
Recurve R6 WDH w/Sway Control & SumoSprings

Days Traveled:2019-37 / 2018-30
CentralMePistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:18 PM   #9
CharlieP
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Western Mass
Posts: 6
We do much the same except on the Mass Pike missing Hartford and Conn. Less traffic. We do stay in hotels the first 2 nights because we go South in mid January.
__________________
CharlieP
2018 Silverado 1500 Z71
2018 WS24 Roo
2018 upgrade from Popup
Charliep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:21 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 19
Does anyone travel through the mountains of VA with a travel trailer? Any advice??
cvcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:28 PM   #11
CharlieP
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Western Mass
Posts: 6
We did Fancy Gap in Mid January this year. We hit fog, heavy rain and 40 mph. Not quite white knuckle but very careful with 4 ways on. An attendant at the next rest stop says that he always goes around on Rt 52. We may not do that again. We stopped a little further on at Mayberry Campground. It was a good overnight but very windy so we turtled in our hybrid.
__________________
CharlieP
2018 Silverado 1500 Z71
2018 WS24 Roo
2018 upgrade from Popup
Charliep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:31 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
CentralMePistol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Central Maine
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAL View Post
We are traveling to the Bangor area of Maine likely in the fall. Can you recommend any campgrounds. We are self contained, so we don't need hook ups, just a quiet safe place to base out of as we explore that area of Maine.
Thanks!
You have me a little confused... self contained so you don't need hookups but looking for a campground?

The campgrounds in this area will all have hookups- at least available hookups. There are no public lands in this area to boondock.

What part of Maine are you looking to explore and what size RV/Trailer do you have? That could really help narrow down those options.
__________________
2018 Cherokee 274DBH
2012 GMC Sierra 1500
4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3 KDL HD Cooling, 3.42 ratio
Recurve R6 WDH w/Sway Control & SumoSprings

Days Traveled:2019-37 / 2018-30
CentralMePistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:39 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliep View Post
We did Fancy Gap in Mid January this year. We hit fog, heavy rain and 40 mph. Not quite white knuckle but very careful with 4 ways on. An attendant at the next rest stop says that he always goes around on Rt 52. We may not do that again. We stopped a little further on at Mayberry Campground. It was a good overnight but very windy so we turtled in our hybrid.


Thank you so much for the information! We always go through the mountains but never towing a camper till now. Will definitely take your advice!!
Chris C.
cvcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:53 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 8
Live in the Greenville area. I-26 to Bristol VA.
50panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:31 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 9
Our trailer is 24 feet. We've primarily camped in the west where there are primitive camp sites in organized camp grounds on public lands, so no hookups- just picnic table and fire ring for a fee. We would be fine with something like that, or with a clean, safe, private campground with or without hook ups. We want to have a base, so we can explore museums and see the sites without the trailer in tow. So we don't need a "destination" camp with lots of activities. We are coming to see and experience Maine. Is there anything like that near Bangor?
GMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:32 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 9
We know we want to see Holden/Orrington/Brewer, Old Town, and Minot.
GMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:38 PM   #17
CGK
Camping with Labs
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Jarrettsville, MD
Posts: 157
We seem to be all over the place on this one. Mount Desert Island/Acadia National Park is less than an hour from Bangor. We've been camping there since 1983 and have never run out of things to do. We love to hike, bike, and canoe, and that's got to be one of the best places ever for active people. Why not consider making that your base of operations and take day trips from there? Mount Desert Island, Acadia National Park, and Bar Harbor are about as dog friendly as anywhere in the country. We love going there with our two Labs. Relative to the route, like CentralMePistol we always go across I-84 through CT to avoid the NYC area with its bridges and traffic......but that doesn't mean we don't run into any traffic on that route. For some reason, we often get backed-up in Danbury. Nothing like the tie-ups on the Tappan Zee bridge going the other way, however. Charliep's Mass Pike to NY route could eliminate that, and we've talked about trying that ourselves. We frequently spend the first night at Boston Minuteman Campground in Littleton, MA. It's probably a little more campground than you need, and there are a lot of trees and hilly internal roads; but it's close to the highway, quiet, safe, and only about 350 miles from The Island. There are fewer tolls the way we go, but if both routes are moving at peak efficiency, the I-84 route is about an hour longer (from northern MD) than going up near NYC. And the road conditions using either of the major routes tend to be less than optimal. But to us it's worth the time and effort - this is our favorite east coast state, and right up there with the best we've seen anywhere. Safe travels!
__________________
Chris, Paula, & camping Labs, Shasta (RIP 8/10/20) & Cammie
2005 Yukon XL 2500 with 8.1 Engine, Allison Transmission, and 3.73 Axle Ratio
2019 Rockwood Signature 8335BSS with Hensley Arrow Hitch
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:28 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 2,824
cvcian,

Since you are new to camping with a travel trailer, I'd recommend that you consider camping at KOA's along your route (at least part of the journey til you get some experience.) If you join, you get 10% off a nights stay and earn points that you can apply to future camping. They have a travel tool on their website that can help you plan your journey.

You're traveling with dogs and they are dog friendly, usually with a dog recreation area. The layouts of the camps are all similar, so it's easy to get oriented for an overnight stop. And usually they have friendly office staff willing to help with problems.

Now we like to camp at state parks, national forests, and other private campgrounds, but when we are 'traveling' we'll frequently use KOAs because they are usually easy off, easy on the freeways.

Good luck.
__________________
2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:58 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 12
Snowbird traveling to Maine

We've been taking extended trips with our travel trailer since we retired. We bought the "Walmart Finder" and the "RV Camping in Corps of Engineers Parks: Guide to 644 Campgrounds at 210 Lakes in 34 States" from Amazon. Both are extremely helpful in avoiding those expensive short overnight stops.
farmallm51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:11 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
CentralMePistol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Central Maine
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAL View Post
Our trailer is 24 feet. We've primarily camped in the west where there are primitive camp sites in organized camp grounds on public lands, so no hookups- just picnic table and fire ring for a fee. We would be fine with something like that, or with a clean, safe, private campground with or without hook ups. We want to have a base, so we can explore museums and see the sites without the trailer in tow. So we don't need a "destination" camp with lots of activities. We are coming to see and experience Maine. Is there anything like that near Bangor?
Well, there are several campgrounds surrounding Bangor. If you are interested in the coast you may want to shift your search that way a bit. There are many sites to see away from the coast as well so Bangor can be a good base. A little over an hour to Bar Harbor and Acadia and about two hours to Greenville. You can make it to Portland in two hours also. Forget the KOA- expensive. And Holden Family Campground is little more than a parking lot. Two that have good reputations, though I have not personally been to either; Paul Bunyan and Pleasant Hill. Both do offer hookups.

Another option that may have the rustic feel you are looking for are state parks. They can offer you the type of camping you are looking for, are relatively inexpensive and can put you all over the state. Some however are very popular so book early if you can. If you can't there are always first come first serve sites at each park. Be there early to get those.
Some of our favorite state parks are Lilly Bay (Moosehead Lake) and Cobscook Bay (Ocean- Furthest East Point in US)

Hope those help!
__________________
2018 Cherokee 274DBH
2012 GMC Sierra 1500
4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3 KDL HD Cooling, 3.42 ratio
Recurve R6 WDH w/Sway Control & SumoSprings

Days Traveled:2019-37 / 2018-30
CentralMePistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
snow, travel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 AM.