Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #1

Southeast campsite reviews and info.

I don't know if there is a thread like this or not. If so, forgive me as it didn't come up in my search.

My family and I are relatively new to camping and don't know all the ropes when it come to campsite selection. We like the seclusion of tent camping but really love the luxury of the camper.
That being said we prefer campsites that are spread out and in shaded wooded areas. We prefer not to stay in campsites that are stacked in like sardines.
This past weekend we went to Hot Springs, Ark. We stayed at the KOA which was a nice CG with nice shade trees but the lots are stacked back to back. Having not stayed at any CG in Hot Springs before we chose KOA because of its proximity to Magic Springs park (about 2 miles down the road). While we were there we drove around and checked out other CG's in the area.

Lake Catherine State park is the one we liked most and will be staying at on return trips. The lots are nice and large so the kids have room to run around and stay out of the road. Nice big shade trees covering most lots. Camp area A was the most compact and not as spacious. Camp area C was the most appealing with lots 1-39 water and electric h/u only. 40-70 full hookups. And half the lots are waterfronts. Reservations are strongly recommended. As most lots are full every weekend.

Catherine's Landing is a nice park with a large pavilion and community fire ring. Yurts nestled in the trees look interesting. Most lots are in the wide open and have full h/u's. the ones by the lake are the prime ones to get but again are sold out every weekend through the summer. So call well in advance to get reservations.

So those are my small reviews of some of Hot Springs area CG's. I will add more as I scope them out.

Please add your reviews as well. If you can, prime lot numbers so reservations can be sought out for unknowing campers such as myself. Most of my family's camping will be in the southeast states. Mainly Arkansas, Tennessee, Florida panhandle, Mississippi and Alabama gulf areas.
Kamping Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote