Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2010, 04:52 PM   #1

Cool Southward bound...did we wait a week too long?

G'day Everyone...

We will be departing Prince Edward Island (Canada) December 1 and heading south 'til we hit warmer temps and open campgrounds...then west to Tucson, AZ. The snow started falling here four days ago and temps are forecast to be around the freezing mark for the next week or so. I usually try to stay west of I-95 after we skirt around Boston on I-495...may go as far west as I-81. Does anyone have any pointers/advice/suggestions....particularly on places we can stop in our Georgetown motorhome at night?? Any open-year-round campgrounds where we can at least get 110v AC along the way? Or should we be looking for motels? I will keep the water system winterized until I think it's safe to drain the antifreeze...but the rest of the rig is built for winter camping, and we have winter-camped in Colorado before. Thanks for your replies!

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST"

Nights camped in 2011: 108
Nights camped in 2012: 41
piscesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

That's a long trip. I suggest you go here: RV Park Reviews :: Home

Plan your route, about how many miles you can make in a day, then do a search by city for a campground. Look at possible campgrounds for electric and Big Rig friendly. Many have websites. Make a list, email them ahead, make reservations, etc.
Hope you have a safe trip, and find warmer weather.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #3

Try the woodall site and look for campgrounds that are open all year. We used this site for our trip from Ont. to BC. Many northern campground are open all year but do not offer water in the off season. They allow you to fill your fresh tanks form an inside tap. You are able to dump your holding tanks. Have a safe trip south.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
Try the woodall site and look for campgrounds that are open all year. We used this site for our trip from Ont. to BC. Many northern campground are open all year but do not offer water in the off season. They allow you to fill your fresh tanks form an inside tap. You are able to dump your holding tanks. Have a safe trip south.
Thanks, Caper...just what I was looking for! The RV Park Review staff said they couldn't add another search category for "open all year", but it looks like Woodall's has. Now to do the homework!

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST"

Nights camped in 2011: 108
Nights camped in 2012: 41
piscesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:55 PM   #5

PLENTY of warmth here! Just lounging around in shorts and no shirt and flip flops here in 80 degree daytime highs, thru thanksgiving day, mid 60's at night. aaaah, good ole' Jacksonville Florida! Going camping Dec. 10th at Ft. Clinch state park in Fernandina beach. Can't wait! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:18 AM   #6

At 4:00 this morning, it was 39 degrees here in Tucson...I'm cold.
nailit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:52 AM   #7
Wanna Be Camper

A nice balmy -22c (-7.6f) here this morning, I can hardly wait till it gets real cold... Nottt

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:57 AM   #8
Villa Estate 392FLFB

lol shhhhh thesasks!! its cold enough! need to finish my skirting still!
Old 11-23-2010, 12:23 PM   #9

It's 11:25 AM here, and I'm sunning in a lawn chair on my pool deck, slathered down with 30 spf lotion, 80 deg. right now, using my laptop. I despise cold weather! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #10
RV Newbie

Well, looking at your map, I think you need to cut across Ohio, Indy, and ILL. You might even pick up Iowa if the weather holds. Right now we're 48 F with no snow and after the next cold spell it should be warmed up about the time you'd pass thru. Lake Erie does keep us a bit warmer than the rest of the state, as long as we don't get a lake effect storm, I90 to I271 is a good route.

Ohio state parks are very nice and most stay open year round [they may lack fresh water already]. I can recommend Punderson and Saltfork, Guilford Lake is nice smaller park but it may be a bit out of your way and difficult for bigger units. Ohio State Parks - Campgrounds Also check the park at Geneva on the Lake, should be nice, just off I90.

We will be on the road due south next Monday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscesman View Post
G'day Everyone...

We will be departing Prince Edward Island (Canada) December 1 and heading south 'til we hit warmer temps and open campgrounds...then west to Tucson, AZ. The snow started falling here four days ago and temps are forecast to be around the freezing mark for the next week or so. I usually try to stay west of I-95 after we skirt around Boston on I-495...may go as far west as I-81. Does anyone have any pointers/advice/suggestions....particularly on places we can stop in our Georgetown motorhome at night?? Any open-year-round campgrounds where we can at least get 110v AC along the way? Or should we be looking for motels? I will keep the water system winterized until I think it's safe to drain the antifreeze...but the rest of the rig is built for winter camping, and we have winter-camped in Colorado before. Thanks for your replies!
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote