Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2014, 01:57 PM   #1

Southwest Michigan campgrounds:Holland, Van Buren State Parks???

A group of us are planning a mid August trip to Southwest Michigan. Last year we camped at South Higgins Lake State Park and that was perfect. But one family recently moved north of Chicago and the rest of us are in Southeast MI, so we wanted to make the drive less than or around 3 hours at the most for all of us.

Lots of kids will be camping with us.

We were looking at Holland State Park and Van Buren State Park. Any one have any pros and cons to these parks.

Ideally, we would like to be able to walk to the water from the campground. Is this possible at either of these places.

We are also open to suggestions but think we should stay south of Holland, MI because it is only a long weekend trip and don't want the drive to be longer than necessary.

We are kind of in a crunch because if we need to get online soon because we are fast approaching the 6 month window.

Thank you to anyone who can give us any information!
mom28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:16 PM   #2

I've been to both.
There's really nothing special about Van Buren SP IMO, plus it's a long walk to the beach. Most drive.
Holland is nicer, but good luck getting in. It's a very busy park. Both the beach and overflow are pretty good, and walking to both Lake Michigan and Macatawa Lake can be done. Excellent boating too.

Another idea for you is Indiana Dunes SP at the bottom of lake Michigan, near I-94, but you still need to drive to the beach.

We typically go farther north to Pentwater, love that park, but just as difficult to get reservations there. We'll be there the first week of August, and again late September (just show up - no reservations!)

Also think about:
Hoffmaster SP
Muskegon SP
Silver Lake SP

I hope this helps
Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:27 PM   #3

we camped at South Higgins Lake State Park this past summer for a week, the water is very cold but only waist high 400 yards out, that weekend we were their it turned super cold (august) and we were on the water , we also went to mullet lake and I liked it better warmer water, nicer sites (grass) not sand

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zs325RES View Post
I've been to both.
There's really nothing special about Van Buren SP IMO, plus it's a long walk to the beach. Most drive.
Holland is nicer, but good luck getting in. It's a very busy park. Both the beach and overflow are pretty good, and walking to both Lake Michigan and Macatawa Lake can be done. Excellent boating too.

Another idea for you is Indiana Dunes SP at the bottom of lake Michigan, near I-94, but you still need to drive to the beach.

We typically go farther north to Pentwater, love that park, but just as difficult to get reservations there. We'll be there the first week of August, and again late September (just show up - no reservations!)

Also think about:
Hoffmaster SP
Muskegon SP
Silver Lake SP

I hope this helps
Thanks. We camped at Silver Lake a few years back in Sept. Loved it.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
we camped at South Higgins Lake State Park this past summer for a week, the water is very cold but only waist high 400 yards out, that weekend we were their it turned super cold (august) and we were on the water , we also went to mullet lake and I liked it better warmer water, nicer sites (grass) not sand
That is where we camped last summer, in August. We might have been there about the same time. COLD nights. We actually put our heat on for a bit one night. Most of our friends were in tents! The shallow water was perfect for our younger set of kids. We would love to go back but it is just too far of a drive for one of the families in our group.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:58 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I remember camping at Holland when I was like 7 or 8 years old. At that age, it was a chore to get up and over the dunes to the beach. Mind you that was about 30 years ago, so the beach access might be different now.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
I remember camping at Holland when I was like 7 or 8 years old. At that age, it was a chore to get up and over the dunes to the beach. Mind you that was about 30 years ago, so the beach access might be different now.
Good to know.

I would just like to know that we can get to the water from the campground without a car. I want the older kids and teens to be able to come and go with one or two adults rather than always having to wait around for all of the parents while we tend to the infants and toddlers. Having to coordinate cars is always a pain. So much easier for the kids to just say, "Going with Mr. X and Mr. Y to the beach" than trying to figure out if there is room for everyone in so and so's car and enough room for those of us left to get there!
Old 02-11-2014, 03:27 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Southwest Michigan campgrounds:Holland, Van Buren State Parks???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom28 View Post
Good to know.

I would just like to know that we can get to the water from the campground without a car. I want the older kids and teens to be able to come and go with one or two adults rather than always having to wait around for all of the parents while we tend to the infants and toddlers. Having to coordinate cars is always a pain. So much easier for the kids to just say, "Going with Mr. X and Mr. Y to the beach" than trying to figure out if there is room for everyone in so and so's car and enough room for those of us left to get there!

Oh, yeah, it was certainly walkable. At least, I remember walking it. Teens should have no problem, but if it's still up and over you might have to carry the toddlers, that's all.

Of course, if anyone's been there more recently than 30 years ago, feel free to correct me.

Edit: Ok, I just re-read what I wrote. Now I feel old.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Oh, yeah, it was certainly walkable. At least, I remember walking it. Teens should have no problem, but if it's still up and over you might have to carry the toddlers, that's all.

Of course, if anyone's been there more recently than 30 years ago, feel free to correct me.

Edit: Ok, I just re-read what I wrote. Now I feel old.
Well, if you were 7 or 8, 30 years ago, you are younger than me! I'm 43. Gonna be 44 in April and my baby is just turning 2 this week on Valentine's Day. Yeah, I feel old most days! Camping keeps me feeling young!
Old 02-11-2014, 03:49 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Well, then, yes, I'm younger. 37 right now. Kids are 3 and 4.

Talk of Holland had me feeling nostalgic, so I was just looking it up on the DNR. It appears I stand corrected. If you can snag it for your dates (seems to be booked through the summer) there's now a campground right on the beach. Can't get much closer than that. Though looking at the site photos, it appears to be a repainted parking lot. I don't know how I feel about camping on asphalt.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Well, then, yes, I'm younger. 37 right now. Kids are 3 and 4.

Talk of Holland had me feeling nostalgic, so I was just looking it up on the DNR. It appears I stand corrected. If you can snag it for your dates (seems to be booked through the summer) there's now a campground right on the beach. Can't get much closer than that. Though looking at the site photos, it appears to be a repainted parking lot. I don't know how I feel about camping on asphalt.
I did see those pictures. Last year there were 7 families and 5 of those families camp in tents. I could "deal" with the asphalt but I don't think I would want to try that with a tent! It is crazy how quickly the state parks fill up. The dates in Aug. we are looking at haven't opened up yet (you can book 6 months out), but they will be soon so we are trying to get everything figured out. One lady is a genius at getting all of us reserved together at the quick to fill up places...I leave that to her. We are just trying to figure out where to go since none of us have been to those state parks on the west side of the state (except Silver Lake-but that is too far)
Old 02-11-2014, 06:27 PM   #12

We like Holland a lot. As previously stated Silver Lake is very nice and a little easier to get in. We're going back there this year.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimchaSabre View Post
We like Holland a lot. As previously stated Silver Lake is very nice and a little easier to get in. We're going back there this year.
Thanks. Would you agree with previous posters that it would be a doable walk to the beach?
Old 02-11-2014, 06:47 PM   #14

We stayed at Van Buren State Park last year and it was very nice. We walked to the beach everyday. It was a walk but not that bad. We just used a kids wagon and put our beach stuff in it and pulled it to the beach. A little exercise never hurts anyone..
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8lvy View Post
We stayed at Van Buren State Park last year and it was very nice. We walked to the beach everyday. It was a walk but not that bad. We just used a kids wagon and put our beach stuff in it and pulled it to the beach. A little exercise never hurts anyone..
Thank you. That is good to know.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom28 View Post
Thanks. Would you agree with previous posters that it would be a doable walk to the beach?
There is a small beach in Silver lake state park which is just so so in my opinion. We like drive the couple of miles to Lake MI near Little Sable point Light House. Much nicer beach.

Also the walk to the Holland SP beach is about as mile from the Lake Macatawa cg, There is also a bike path, but if you can get a site on the beach, they might be better. They even have some with full hook up.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #17

We stayed at Van Buren state park 2 years ago and are staying there for 10 days in August. We like it because it is walkable to the beach. Take a wagon for all the toys. Easier to get into than Holland or Warren Dunes park to the south where we stayed last year. Shorter walk to.beach than Hoffmaster park. Paved path right up to the beach. About a mile of beach down to Nuke plant.

2012 Crusader 290RLT
2010 Ford F-250 King Cab Diesel
Harley Davidson Edition
jriddering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriddering View Post
We stayed at Van Buren state park 2 years ago and are staying there for 10 days in August. We like it because it is walkable to the beach. Take a wagon for all the toys. Easier to get into than Holland or Warren Dunes park to the south where we stayed last year. Shorter walk to.beach than Hoffmaster park. Paved path right up to the beach. About a mile of beach down to Nuke plant.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #19

We camped at Hoffmeister a few years back. Pretty nice campground, fair walk to the beach. There is a theme park not too far away that makes a nice day trip.
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #20
Experienced Newbie

If considering Silver Lake SP, try to avoid the big holiday weekends. The orv guys fill it up quick.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forest River Forums mobile app

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg