Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2016, 10:47 AM   #1

Spring & Summer Trip recommendations- NC, SC, VA, TN

Hi all,

I am itching to go camping, but since it's cold as crap outside, I think it's time to start planning our spring and summer trips. This will be our first spring and summer with a travel trailer! I'm hoping you good folks can guide me to what I'm looking for. There was also a website recommended on this site that listed every campground by location but I can't find it via google.

Spring trip: I'd like to go towards the mountains of NC, towards TN. We are in favor of a campground type experience than the typical RV park where its more like parking spaces than camping. I would love to have full hookups (elec & water is fine), waterfalls & hiking nearby. Must allow campfire, and dogs. That's about it. A scenic location on the water would be phenomenal, and under $60/night preferably.

Summer Trip: I was thinking of heading towards the beach. I'm more open to the parking lot style RV park for this type of trip. Prefer full hookups, but water & electricity is fine. I would love a short walk to the beach, more preferably, I'd like to see it from the campground. BUT!! I am willing to do a VA,NC, TN mountain trip with beach lake access/tubing/family activities. This is going to be a first time EVER summer trip and I'm wanting it to be a memory maker.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

p.s. I looked into the Mrtyle Beach travel park sites, and was wondering if anyone has stayed there?

Thank you in advance!
Old 01-06-2016, 11:17 AM   #2

We are currently

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:23 AM   #3

Check out Anchor Down campground in TN near pigeon forge. I am going to pirateland this summer for the first time. Seems all Myrtle Beach CG het the same reviews. Other places near are Hunting Island State Park, Fort Clinch SP, Edisto Beach SP, Huntington Beach SP. Camp Gulf in Destin is great!

2013 Sierra 346 RET
2010 Ford 350 6.4 l CC SRW
ksignoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:25 AM   #4

.... In Myrtle Beach at Ocean Lakes. This is our preferred MB campground, as many sites have concrete pads which really helps keep sand out of the RV. We have stayed at both MB Travel Park and Apache CG. We will be coming back here the end of March, with grandchild, over Spring break.
This CG is in the process of constructing a new water park area that should be ready by summer.
So, this place gets my vote.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:32 AM   #5
(Dry Huunday)

For hiking and waterfalls check out Stone Mountain State Park NC....Great trails and roomy sites. Only Water & Electric but really nice! Clean bathhouses too. (very poor cell - tv reception but that can be a good thing sometimes!).

Linville Falls on the Blueridge Parkway are beautiful and is a great hike as well

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:19 PM   #6

Grayson Highlands S/P & Grindstone Campground in SE VA. Very nice & lots of hiking. Grayson Highlands has a herd of wild ponies that you can see when hiking. Both have water & elect.; no sewer. Both are in Mt. Rogers National Forest, just on opposite sides of the mountain.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:53 PM   #7

In NC, you may want to check out the KOA in Cherokee. Nice campground. Also, Maggie Valley although have never stayed at any of the campgrounds on that side of the mountain.

As for Myrtle Beach, I have camped here for years and have hit all of them except the State Park which appears to be nice too. Recently have been staying at Ocean Lakes and in fact have my TT stored there for the winter. Actually just retired and moved to Myrtle Beach the week of Christmas. Loving' the weather although a little chilly today. Better than 1 degree in northern WV.
Camping Days 2013 - 24
Camping Days 2014 - 21
Projected Camping Days 2015 - 30
Loneeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:59 PM   #8

Lakewood campground in Myrtle beach. This summer will be our second trip there. We really like the access to the beach and water park and they have some sites that have shade to get out of that brutal South Carolina sun. We had over 100 degree days almost everyday last year. It was hot.

Enjoy your trips

2012 Ford F-150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2012 Micro Lite 23lb

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:06 PM   #9

We have gone to Pirateland for a couple of years....loved it.
gpalladinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:44 PM   #10

Pigeon Forge, TN

I can wholeheartedly recommend Riverbend Campground in Pigeon Forge. We stay there usually 2 times per year (spring and fall) and the owner, Rex, is friendly and always helpful with any issue we might have.

From there it is easy access to shopping, Gatlinburg, Cherokee, Smokey Mountains and Knoxville. Fishing in the Little Pigeon River is fun, quite a few lots are river side, 50 amp service, full hookups, and clean bath house.

Good luck,
Old 01-06-2016, 02:04 PM   #11

Hatteras Island - NC

I know some don't care for the wide open feel of these campgrounds (no trees, just grass, sand, some concrete), but Camp Hatteras and the KOA in Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo are literally right on the water. We enjoy the KOA. We park 3 rows back from the dunes. Short walk using the walkway over the dunes and you're on the beach. You can walk across NC 12 and go crabbing in the sound. Check it out on Google Maps/Earth and you can see how narrow that portion of OBX is and how close you are to the water. Very quiet in that part of the OBX as well, as compared to Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, etc.
RWS is also known as the Tri-Village area. You'd have to drive to Avon to find larger stores (Ace Hardware, Food Lion) and a lot of restaurants.
NCBBA11043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:29 PM   #12

Campground Directories

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexBunk View Post
There was also a website recommended on this site that listed every campground by location but I can't find it via google.
Woodalls
RV Parky
Allstays
Allstays App
johntaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:33 PM   #13

Spring & Summer Trip

ApexBunk,
We stay at a great campground Jellystone in Cosby TN. It is a small (about 70 spots) family owned and family friendly campground. It is clean as it can be and quite. Almost every spot on the stream, full hook ups with plenty of shade. Dave and Adam will welcome you as if you are a part of their family. All of what you will need, camp store, large game room, pool, hiking, hay rides, basketball court, horse shoes, corn toss, miniature golf, movies for the kids and most weekends entertainment. We have been going there for about 15 years and never get tired of it. About 12 miles from Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge and Dollywood. Climbworks zip line and mountain biking about four miles away that is absolutely mind blowing. I don't think you would be disappointed staying there.

Donut
Greeneville, TN
2500 HD, Coachman Freedom Express
25 nights camped in 2015, retiring Monday many more to come in 2016
jglaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntaylor View Post

Don't forget www.goodsamclub.com/travel

2012 Ford F-150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2012 Micro Lite 23lb

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:45 PM   #15

Also campgroundreviews.com.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:08 PM   #16

JC Cooper Campground in the Kerr Lake Recreation Area. North Carolina.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:09 PM   #17

Wow, thanks everyone!!! I love this site.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:16 PM   #18

I haven't camped in Myrtle Beach in over 30 years with my parents but I have reservations for ocean lakes from July 30 - Aug. 6. Can't wait!!!! I also have reservations to stay in a cabin in Gatlinburg in October. Thought we would scout out the campsites in that area before camping there.
TT: Rockwood 2703WS
TV: 2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
thanket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:22 PM   #19

Listings

Try RV Parky app for android or RVParkReviews. Both are full of good info. I would also check out Passport America. Good deals can be found there but look carefully.
Another suggestion is to go to/through northern GA. In the Helen/Lake Hiawasee area. It is on the north western corner of the state. Really pretty and there are a few lakefront CG's right on the lake
IMHO Camp Hatteras wold be a fine choice. I don't particularly like KOA's. I always feel squished in and cramped.
Strigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:31 PM   #20

Keep in mind all the campgrounds along the ocean in the Myrtle Beach area are HUGE. All (pretty sure) have full hookups. As mentioned some sites have concrete pads but, most will be on sand or grass (poor quality grass though). Because they're so big, many of them have lots of amenities from pools (multiple), snack bars, adult bars, restaurants, playgrounds etc. But, I don't think open campfires are allowed in Myrtle Beach. I also think they all have easy access (walk) right out onto the beach.

But, plenty to do for the kids & adults.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote