Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2018, 01:51 PM   #1

St. Lawrence seaway in NY

We would like to make a trip up from Rochester, NY to Plattsburgh this summer along the St. Lawrence seaway. Be interested in any thoughts or observations from folks that have made this trip as to parks, attractions and road recommendations.

wogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:45 PM   #2

The St. Lawrence is GORGEOUS! Seriously consider getting on the water...tour boats are readily available.

New York has many state owned parks along the river. Some sites have full hook-ups. The new private Swan Bay RV park just south of Alexandria Bay is also very nice...and again right on the water! Many sites to see...Antique Boat museum in Clayton, Bolt Castle in A-bay, Singer Castle just to name a few.

Highways running along the river are generally good. The area I am most familiar with, Clayton to Ogdensburg, Route 12 and 37 are in very good shape, little traffic, with numerous pull-offs that an RV can easily use for excellent views of the river.
LegacyFB38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:07 PM   #3

You will need plenty of bug spray... heavy duty, industrial quality.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:21 AM   #4

Swan Bay is a beautiful resort and close to everything in Alexandria Bay and the bridge over to Wellesley Island.

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:02 PM   #5

Stay at Robert Moses State Park that is entered by a Tunnel Under the Eisenhower Lock,that is also the Visitors Center for the Lock and Seaway! The parking lot allows you to see Ships from all over the World! This is all very close to the Campground,ships can also be seen from the Campground sites! This is close to Massena,NY! One stop shop! Youroo!!
Old 04-11-2018, 02:39 PM   #6

Did some white water rafting on the Black River in Watertown a few years ago, not far from St Lawrence. Amazing time. The St Lawrence and 1000 Islands are beautiful.
jljj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:57 PM   #7

I was born in Rochester and lived in Webster until I was ten. I am so anxious to spend some time in NY state exploring things I never had the chance to see. NY is such a beautiful state! Of course, I remember the harsh winters. Sometimes we went trick or treating in snow suits! I remember going on a parkway and the fall leaves were so vibrant. I want to see that again. I have been back to Niagra Falls as an adult and my DH was impressed with the state that we traveled through. He always has had a negative impression of NY because of those who move to Florida from NY city and NJ areas (no offence to any of you from those areas, but you are a bit louder and more straight forward than we are here in the south). Enjoy your trip!! Hopefully you will post pictures.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:26 AM   #8

Another very nice state park is Cole's Creek in Waddington (half way between Ogdensburg and Massena). Plenty of electric sites on the water so you can see the ships. Nice staff; they deliver firewood to your site and pick up trash from your site. This section of the River is known as Lake St. Lawrence as it was widened for hydro electric. The shipping channel is close to the Canadian side so the boats are further away than Robert Moses
Many people think of the St. Lawrence as East-West, but its more North-South so the sunsets are right across the River. We love the entire area and have enjoyed camping at the many parks for a number of years. Just got home yesterday from a carotid bypass so I'm a little tuckered or else I'd keep going.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote