Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2018, 01:45 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Castle rock..
Same brand on ours. I have one season and about 3000 miles on them and now I am going to go for the Good Years. Thanks for the post and sorry for your trouble Doc.
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:46 PM   #42
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Sorta true, but 1,500 or more ponds is carried on the tongue, not the tires. Only a CAT weight will tell.
Yes only a scale will tell me but I am not THAT concerned with the actual weights per se. I have a good idea of what is in it but this is the dice you roll with marginal tires. The new gy tires weight more as just rubber and no rim then the tire and rim of the castle rocks combined.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:48 PM   #43
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by old40ford View Post
Same brand on ours. I have one season and about 3000 miles on them and now I am going to go for the Good Years. Thanks for the post and sorry for your trouble Doc.
I got lucky I think. Mostly sheet metal and insulation.. could have been wiring,fiberglass, leveling jacks.....

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 05-20-2018, 01:51 PM   #44

Doc, if I recall correctly, you purchased that camper at Hitch RV in down here in Milford? I have had some no so good experience with them in service/repairs.
Just curious if you have tried them out yet.
John
Old 05-20-2018, 01:52 PM   #45

Quote:
I got lucky I think. Mostly sheet metal and insulation.. could have been wiring,fiberglass, leveling jacks.....
True, and most of all you and your family are safe.
I hope the rest of your trip is excellent.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:58 PM   #46
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by old40ford View Post
True, and most of all you and your family are safe.
I hope the rest of your trip is excellent.
it was great... Nashville to mammoth cave np, then louisville now home. And at lowes buying repair stuff...

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 05-20-2018, 02:00 PM   #47

Quote:
it was great... Nashville to mammoth cave np, then louisville now home. And at lowes buying repair stuff...
Great!!
Old 05-20-2018, 03:17 PM   #48

Since Forest River cares less about quality on anything they make there seems no answer for the tire or wheel problems. In a weird way, I once wished there would be a tremendous accident caused by defective tires installed by forest River. Figuring a muti million dollar law suit would be the only thing that would wake up the quality control department. But then I hated to think someone would have to be seriously hurt to effect a change. And also after buying a $90,000 5th wheel in 2016 I learned the tires and wheels is only a small indication of the lack of quality/workmanship. Although money does speak volumes to any manufacturer, Forest River depend on the fact that most people don't buy that many campers in a life time. So the only (non fatal) way to do my part is to advertise for Forest River every chance I get. In other words---if you see "Forest River" printed on the side of the camper you are considering buying----RUN (don't walk) Run in the other direction.
sam2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:43 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam2424 View Post
Since Forest River cares less about quality on anything they make there seems no answer for the tire or wheel problems. In a weird way, I once wished there would be a tremendous accident caused by defective tires installed by forest River. Figuring a muti million dollar law suit would be the only thing that would wake up the quality control department. But then I hated to think someone would have to be seriously hurt to effect a change. And also after buying a $90,000 5th wheel in 2016 I learned the tires and wheels is only a small indication of the lack of quality/workmanship. Although money does speak volumes to any manufacturer, Forest River depend on the fact that most people don't buy that many campers in a life time. So the only (non fatal) way to do my part is to advertise for Forest River every chance I get. In other words---if you see "Forest River" printed on the side of the camper you are considering buying----RUN (don't walk) Run in the other direction.
The problem with that is that Forest River bought up most of the other manufactures which limits our choices. Sure there are a few others, but, not like about 10 years ago.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:33 PM   #50
Who Dares, Wins

Your right, when you have 90% of the market you lose touch with needing to put out a quality product. But we do keep buying them and then dealing with the short commings. I have loved the previous 3 fr campers and so far am liking this camper. I do wish they just put some better effort into some of the stuff... especially the stuff that keeps me and family's safety at the top.

Not that I needed or wanted more government regulation... but I agree, a firestone event needs to occur in the rv industry and clear out the garbage tires and hold them to the same requirements of automotive tires. Could.you imagine if 1 in 50 or even 500 car tires would explode for no real reason within weeks / months or miles of purchase??

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 05-20-2018, 04:34 PM   #51

Quote:
I would have to disagree with this statement as in our search for a our last unit most of the builders all used the same parts, when I asked for upgrades it was usually met with what would you like, I said better rated axles better tires and better brakes, now grant you I was willing to pay for the upgrades but most replied with sorry no we can not do that you can on your own after the sale. Finally along comes River Stone, a Forest River product, with all the options I was looking for, yes at higher cost but remember I was willing to pay for the upgrades. Now you might not agree with my thoughts but that is why there are choices so we can all get what we want or are willing to pay for.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:42 PM   #52
Who Dares, Wins

Yes I will not write off the whole company. I agree they all use the same stuff in the end and the builders do seem to just move from company to company. I do just feel certain things should not be an optional upgrade. Like safety issues.. like a 10$ foreign and questionable tire over a better quality known brand tire. I'll 0ay the extra $100 you charge me due to your bulk purchase power..

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 05-20-2018, 05:50 PM   #53

Quote:

My Cedar Creek came from the factory with Goodyear G614 tires. Cedar Creek has been a great camper and the problems have been taken care of by Cedar Creek.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:15 AM   #54

We learned a lesson a long time ago and carry an extra spare now. It's saved us once when we had tread separation and also suffered damage to the neighbor tire.

When we got our trailer new last year, we immediately replaced the Castle Rocks with Endurance and then took one of the Castle Rocks and had it mounted on a rim as an extra spare. IT may not be ideal to have Castle Rocks as spares but we hope to not need them with the Endurance on there.
Windjammingnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:51 AM   #55
Who Dares, Wins

We had a spare... But a rim failed at the start of the return trip using the spare up. Had the rim pulled today and a pin hole was found in the rim. SO that left us without a rim and no one had a 15" 6 lug rim that we could find while on the road on a Saturday. Tractor supply had a few with D tires and we considered it but I gambled and lost... Just sent the pics to the dealer and they will see what FR says. Guess I have something to add to my Goshen list... 4 new rims since I do not truck these ones now!

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 05-21-2018, 11:46 AM   #56

I had a pesky slow leak on a landscape type trailer and discovered it was due to a pinhole leak on the wheel. Put an inner tube in the tire and it worked just fine as a spare for the trailer.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:17 PM   #57

I meant we carry an extra spare in addition to the one on the back of the trailer. If our trip is less than 60-70 miles from home, we'll typically leave the second spare at home since it's not that far to drive home and get it if we were to have a blowout and damage a second tire.
Windjammingnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:04 PM   #58
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windjammingnc View Post
I meant we carry an extra spare in addition to the one on the back of the trailer. If our trip is less than 60-70 miles from home, we'll typically leave the second spare at home since it's not that far to drive home and get it if we were to have a blowout and damage a second tire.
Ok I thought it was what you meant but I was not sure.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 05-22-2018, 01:57 PM   #59

Sorry Doc for your trailer damage, 'been there, not fun. Oh, by the way all, don't loose track of the spare tire mfg. date and don't leave spare on rear of trailer covered with a "dark" cover, in the sun. I cycled our nearly new, at the time, china bomb to the spare tire rack at the rear of our fiver. Went to pick up the trailer last week and found the spare blew out while in our storage lot. Black cover got launched into orbit. I don't even want to think what would have happened had I needed to use it on the road. Plies on those tires, thin as construction paper, tread compound looked like charcoal. My two china bomb spares are now scheduled for GY Endurance upgrades. If I can figure out how to, I'll post the photos FYI. Thanks all for sharing your experience.
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:30 PM   #60

A hard and fast rule for tires is that they must be replaced if the DOT date stamped on the tire says it's 9 years old or older, it doesn't matter how faithfully you used armor-all on them. After 9 years the sidewalls and tread is much more susceptible to dry rot and separating, but you didn't say how old the tires that failed were so I can't give you a better diagnosis or guess as to why they failed or how to fix the damage.
Lighting546 is offline   Reply With Quote