Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2018, 01:54 PM   #61

Tire Issue

I saw someone state 9 years on trailer tires. Most of the RVer's, I know, don't go past 5 years on DOT date. Most RV (towable) tires are rated for maximum speed of 65MPH. I used to swear by GY Wranglers but have switched to MAXXIS ST2008 they just go up to E rated but I ran them on my Cardinal (no problems) and now on our Silverback 29RE (no problems).
The MAXXIS isn't made in the USA but it carries a 5 year warranty.
Make sure to inflate the tires to the max psi when towing.

Happy Trails-
Sonny and Peggy - Little River - Academy, Texas
2001 F350 7.3L Power Stroke Dually
2014 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE 5th Wheel
SonnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:13 PM   #62
Site Team

I never lost pressure is my first time failure either. 80psi and the tread came off doing $3000+ damage under the kitchen sink.
Hope you get your RV all fixed up. Happy travels.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:58 PM   #63

Hey Doc,

Sorry to hear about the problems. Hope you get it all resolved with minimal hassles.
B&W Companion 20K for OEM pucks.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:37 PM   #64
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighting546 View Post
A hard and fast rule for tires is that they must be replaced if the DOT date stamped on the tire says it's 9 years old or older, it doesn't matter how faithfully you used armor-all on them. After 9 years the sidewalls and tread is much more susceptible to dry rot and separating, but you didn't say how old the tires that failed were so I can't give you a better diagnosis or guess as to why they failed or how to fix the damage.
Its in there somehwere... they were a few months old as is the camper.

I am all fixed up and if at PA Dutch tt. I'll have to maybe start a new thread with my new homemade inner fenders!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:38 PM   #65
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
Hey Doc,

Sorry to hear about the problems. Hope you get it all resolved with minimal hassles.
Thanks. I made the repairs myself so far it cost about 150$ or so and my time.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 05-26-2018, 02:20 AM   #66

The first thing I did after buying my new TT was to replace the China bomb tires with Goodyear Endurance tires. No tire problems on a 1200 mile round trip and then on a 4000 mile trip from Arizona to Alaska. I learned my tire lesson the hard way when I pulled a utility trailer from Arizona to Alaska and had a China bomb tire blow out when I was 30 miles outside Tok at night time. Since then, I always upgrade or replace tires immediately.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:40 AM   #67

China Bombs

I was fortunate enough to catch the tread separation on the original tires that came with my FR Windjammer before it failed. Before leaving home the right right rear was found to be down 5psi from the max cold pressure. I put it up to proper pressure and we made our trip to Palo Duro Canyon here in Tx. The day before we were to leave, as I say enjoying a cold one, I thought the right rear looked low. So rather than wait until the next morning to ck the pressure I went ahead and ckd it and again it was 5psi low. The day after we got home I ckd the pressure again and it was down 5psi again. Removed it and took it to Discount Tire. They called me and told me the tread was separating in the center. I was very fortunate that it had not completely came apart.
After some research I ordered maxims and went up from C to D. And installed TPMS. Now as was found by Doc the TPMS does not show tread getting ready to let go but it’s better than nothing. I also carry two spares because if one is good two have to be better.
Once again I was very LUCKY.
Jim st wanted to throw my 2 cents in.
I find this forum very informative.
15 windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:13 AM   #68
Take The Road Less Travld

A few years back in out 2013 Roo 233s, we were on our war to Michigan. I had to stop for gas and realized when trying to stop, it wasn’t going to happen. I used the trailer breaks to stop my 1999 Durango. I pulled into a gas station and assessed the issue. Broken break line.

So here I am in Lafayette Indiana 2.5 hours from home and 2.5 hours from my camping destintion. I called the trailer insurance company hoping they would be able to send a tow truck that had the ability to take the trailer with it. Unfortunately that was not the case.

There was a nearby pep boys where I can safely drive the Durango again using the trailer breakes. The break job took about 24 hours to repair. They were nice enough to let us drop the trailer in front of the garage doors, they fed me a power line for the night while everyone else went home, we camped out first night of the trip in pep boys parking lot.

We had dinner plans for the first night so I hooked up the grill a little after hours and grilled away. I had water in the trailer reserve so we had showered, could use the toilet and could clean dishes.

Was a very memorable trip for the kids and my wife. And I. Luckily we planned a 4 day trip to Michigan, we did not expect to spend the first night in a parking lot but having the trailer made it unforgettable.
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:42 PM   #69
Who Dares, Wins

So finally heard back from the dealer...

FR denies the warranty claim / request on the rim, apparently the rim having a defect is not their problem. Shocker.... They at least gave us the contact info for the rim maker and said good luck... Can't say I am shocked.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB