Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2016, 12:49 PM   #1

Suggestions for Vermont / NY State

Hi all,

Coming from Ottawa and the wife would like to go to Vermont or NY State before the year is out, I've done a lot of research but does anyone have suggestions?

We have a 27ft Class C, 3 kids, waterfront would be ideal.

Thanks for any help!

K
kthoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoms View Post
Hi all,

Coming from Ottawa and the wife would like to go to Vermont or NY State before the year is out, I've done a lot of research but does anyone have suggestions?

We have a 27ft Class C, 3 kids, waterfront would be ideal.

Thanks for any help!

K
Need more info. What are you looking for? State campground, RV park, KOA? What do you want to do? Tourist stuff, sightsee, hiking? Plenty of knowledge on hear to help!
limblips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:25 PM   #3

I guess pretty much anything, we don't leave the campground usually. A pool would be great for the older kids, or a really nice beach. There are SO MANY places and this is our first year RV'ing so any suggestions would be excellent.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:58 PM   #4

I would recommend Fish Creek Ponds Camp Ground...Family and I have been going there for years. Most sites on the water...no hookups...but just a beautiful place...

Good Luck!

Days Camped in last 3 years - 79
Planned Days in 2021 - 50
Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:58 PM   #5

Quote:
I guess pretty much anything, we don't leave the campground usually. A pool would be great for the older kids, or a really nice beach. There are SO MANY places and this is our first year RV'ing so any suggestions would be excellent.
Being originally from the Adirondacks, I am partial to the woods and clear lakes. Most NY Adirondack State Campgrounds do not have hookups. They have water available (may need a tote), and dump stations but not electric. There are generator quiet hours. That said, I still love the campgrounds. Meacham Lake is beautiful, great guarded swimming area. Fish Creek, Rollins Pond area is the same. Not a lot to do in those areas except relax, hike, swim, fish. Lake George is pretty but the town is a little too touristy for my tastes. Blue Mountain Lake area is beautiful too. A must visit there is the Adirondack Museum! There is also a scenic railway in the area. On your way back to Ottawa, spend a few days in the 1000 Islands area. Great wooden boat museum in Clayton, tour the river and look at the island castles and mansions. Go to "ILOVENY.com for a ton of info. Vermont is beautiful too, I am familiar with Queechee Gorge State Park, very pretty and the Shelburne Museum is very interesting. Enjoy your trips!
limblips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:33 PM   #6
Retired

DW and I are headed to VT next week....1st time with TT. Planning on doing some fly fishing. We are staying at "Camping on the Battenkill"...located on the Battenkill River....not to far from NY and looks like they have fun stuff for kids to do...check them out.
Happy :us-flags-waving: Trails
Old 06-06-2016, 07:05 PM   #7
Wait till next year...

Apple Island Resort on Grand Isle Lake Champlain. Stuff to do in the campground(golf , marina, and a pool) and a short drive to Burlington. We'll be there July 4th. Queechi, Wilgus and Elmore are very nice stste parks. Wigus is on the Conneticut
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:18 PM   #8

We're from the Lake George region in upstate NY. We take our 3 grandkids to a new campground with huge sites, privacy & the largest heated outdoor pool in the northeast. It's called Moose Hillock Camping Resort. Only minutes from Lake George so you can visit the Lake & also there is a Six Flags Amusement Park within 10 miles. Check out the websites.
rapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:23 PM   #9

I grew up on the Battenkill in Salem,NY, right next to Vt. My dad used to fish there all the time. By the way, it's a great tubing river and you go under 2-3 covered bridges. Very scenic.
rapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:39 AM   #10

Thanks for info everyone, I got some homework to do!
Old 06-07-2016, 08:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapper View Post
We're from the Lake George region in upstate NY. We take our 3 grandkids to a new campground with huge sites, privacy & the largest heated outdoor pool in the northeast. It's called Moose Hillock Camping Resort. Only minutes from Lake George so you can visit the Lake & also there is a Six Flags Amusement Park within 10 miles. Check out the websites.
Not waterfront but Moose Hillock is a great place. Lots to do around Lake George without having to spend too much time in the kitschy little tourist trap town itself. The lake is awesome, super clean, lots of fish, boat rentals. We love it there!

Nights Camped, 2015: 23, 2016: 27, 2017: 29, 2018: 22, 2019: 29
mikeysotp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:24 AM   #12

We have been to Higley Flow SP many times; it's a great park. And we've camped in a few NYSPs along the St Lawrence - Wellesley Island, Cedar Point, Kring Point and Coles Creek - all are very nice. And we're adding Robert Moses to this list - twice - this year.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:53 AM   #13

What would you recommend out of those for the St. Lawrence? I've camped on the Ontario side and always wanted to go "across the river"
Old 06-07-2016, 11:56 AM   #14
OldGuysRule

My wife and I camped at a NY State Campground and LOVED it. Selkirk Shores State Park near the Salmon River in Pulaski NY. We had a pop-up at the time, and hooked to their electric; used their bathrooms. Not sure about dump-outs and water/sewer. But at $15-19/night (plus $5 for non residents) it was a bargain. We go in September/October to fish the salmon run. Great place.

Plus, I hear Jericho Mountain in New Hampshire has free camping for the 2016 season as part of their start-up promo. I'm not sure their water/electric/sewer status, but you might want to check them. It's in Berlin NH which is very close to the CA border.
Renegade837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:08 PM   #15

We spent a week at the Lake Placid KOA last September and loved every minute of it. Don't know how your ur kids feel about the Olympics but we were impressed with all the things to see & do there. We purchased one of the "passports" that gave us entry to about 5-6 different things. Rode up the ski jump - road the Gondola up Little Whiteface Mountain, etc., etc. Beautiful area located in the mountains. For another "day trip" we rode the ferry from New York to somewhere in Vermont (can't recall the city - there are 3 different pickup points) and then crossed back into New York from the Burlington, VT area. If you're headed into the Vermont & New Hampshire area, a couple of "can't miss" in Vermont - the Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream factory (you can take a tour) & the Morris Maple Syrup Farm in Montpillier. Very interesting. In New Hampshire - ride the Cog Railway up Mount Washington. AMAZING! We picked up Route 2 just outside Bar Harbor, ME and followed it for a while - gorgeous, gorgeous country!
Old 06-07-2016, 02:13 PM   #16
jimb

I am from fingerlakes ny any of state parks or spruce row camp grounds Ithaca would be good KOA in Watkinsglen not far from Corning
jimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:51 PM   #17

Adirondacks, Adirondacks, Adirondacks! Follow prior suggestions for Lake George or Lake Placid...Can't go wrong with either area and both on border with Vermont, bonus!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:29 PM   #18

Quote:
What would you recommend out of those for the St. Lawrence? I've camped on the Ontario side and always wanted to go "across the river"
Real nice NY State Park at Cedar Point (between Clayton and Cape Vincent). Wellesley Island SP on Wellesley Island between the Canadian and US spans on I-81 is also very nice. Not familiar with private parks in the area. Both state parks are easy drive to tourist attractions like tour boats, antique boat museum, shops and restaurants.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:07 AM   #19
Mat

Hi, I'm from Ottawa as well and one of our family favorite is Lake Placid KOA at white face mountain, it not on the lake, although few lakes/beaches are accessible for public in the area. This campground offer lots of amenities, full service or rustic, nice large pool, lots of trees and wildlife. It's paradise if you're into hiking or biking (mountain or street), lots to be explored in the area. We go every year in September and love it!
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:26 AM   #20

Thanks everyone!