RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-03-2020, 05:33 PM   #1

Texas to Outer Banks

Alright, I was going to Maine, but Covid is stopping that. So we are thinking of going to the outer banks, Rodanthe area, and then traveling south. This area seems to accept Texans. Any suggestions for the area would be great!

Current thought is to travel through Tuscaloosa to Nags Head and then south on 21. After that, we are open to places to travel to. We have a few days, as many as we want after that.

Thanks in advance and any advice is appreciated.
The dog is part Yorkie and part Rottweiller - figure it out!
We did the dna tests lol.
popshumphrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:00 PM   #2
Tundra 2014

Traveling

We enjoy Savannah coming back to Texas from South Carolina. There is a lot of history, good food and a lot to see. On the food suggest Ms. Wages-lunch family style buffet, Soul Sisters of the South-lunch buffet, and one of the food tours. Walking through Bonaventure is very interesting, the guides at the site are excellent-Go early. Soul Sisters is about a mile from the cemetery, local place. Very dog friendly city.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by popshumphrey View Post
A

Current thought is to travel through Tuscaloosa to Nags Head and then south on 21. After that, we are open to places to travel to. We have a few days, as many as we want after that.

Do you mean south on 12 .
you can go down 12 until you hit a ferry south below the Hatteras Light house.

You can get on the ferry (free) and go to Ocracoke Island (make sure Ocracoke is open, storms been pretty hard on it). This ferry trip can have lines later in the day. yes 5th wheels go in it, so do tractor trailers.

On Ocracoke they have a nice national park campground (no electric) or we stay at Teeters campground. Teeters is stuck back in the oaks on the edge of town next to an old British cemetery. from Teeters you can ride your bike, or rent a golf cart and see the little town with restraunts, junk shops, couple bars, ice cream, etc..
to get to beach on ocracoke you need 4wd (with permit) or in middle of island there is a parking lot you can use to walk over to beach.

From Ocracoke you can take another ferry (3 hour tour I think) to Ceder Island, where Rt 12 continues. the ceder island ferry has a fee, could be $30 or $45 depending on length, you will need reservations and a little early. Ocracoke is small, teeters if 10min from. This ferry was a nice ride, but be prepared they might make you turn off your propane.

From there we followed the coast down to South Carolina to see my buddy in Conway. it was just a lot of back roads going through swampy coastal area.

When I did this last year I ended getting pushed because there was a hurricane about to hit Florida and I needed to get home. We skipped Conway and headed out to 95 than headed south to FLA. Turned out the hurricane never hit Florida, instead it hit Ocracoke Island.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:50 AM   #4

I want to see a picture of the dog, Yorkie and Rottweiler Wow.

2017 Forest River FR3 32DS
Retired Navy
Retired IT Professional
Blallen58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:06 AM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Alright, I was going to Maine, but Covid is stopping that. So we are thinking of going to the outer banks, Rodanthe area, and then traveling south. This area seems to accept Texans. Any suggestions for the area would be great!

Make sure to see what may be closed and open along the Outer Banks as a result of storms they’ve had over the years.

See some photos we experienced last October.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01F6B629-465B-4561-B0AE-2CBD23284B21.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	238776   Click image for larger version

Name:	C9F9E580-83D5-4E20-92DD-EDAE4B6FDE73.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	318.3 KB
ID:	238777   Click image for larger version

Name:	C7AAEB86-2333-40C5-AF3E-767212BA2232.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	238778  

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S with Trekker cap
and only rarely pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blallen58 View Post
I want to see a picture of the dog, Yorkie and Rottweiler Wow.
Just looks like a very large yorkie
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2020, 09:39 AM   #7

Quote:

I highly recommend to start calling for reservations if you plan to stay at OBX (outer banks, as we in NC call it). Due to Covid-19, the campgrounds there are experiencing higher demand for reservations than ever. The two nicest campgrounds in Rodanthe area are Camp Hatteras and Cape Hatteras KOA and are right next to one another. Camp Hatteras has oceanfront, or sound side campsites, depending on which you prefer. Cape Hatteras KOA is oceanside only.

Highly recommend to take your time there....LOTS to see. You can easily spend a week there and not see and experience everything. Four lighthouses are within easy driving distance to Rodanthe, wild horses on Corolla, some of the best beaches on the east coast, great restaurants (Pops bar and grill in Buxton is a great place for food and fun), beautiful sunrises in the morning and unbelievable sunsets from the sound side in the evenings.

Let us know if yall have any other questions or need any other recommendations!

Have fun!
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
I highly recommend to start calling for reservations if you plan to stay at OBX (outer banks, as we in NC call it). Due to Covid-19, the campgrounds there are experiencing higher demand for reservations than ever. The two nicest campgrounds in Rodanthe area are Camp Hatteras and Cape Hatteras KOA and are right next to one another. Camp Hatteras has oceanfront, or sound side campsites, depending on which you prefer. Cape Hatteras KOA is oceanside only.

Highly recommend to take your time there....LOTS to see. You can easily spend a week there and not see and experience everything. Four lighthouses are within easy driving distance to Rodanthe, wild horses on Corolla, some of the best beaches on the east coast, great restaurants (Pops bar and grill in Buxton is a great place for food and fun), beautiful sunrises in the morning and unbelievable sunsets from the sound side in the evenings.

Let us know if yall have any other questions or need any other recommendations!

Have fun!
I have reservations at camp hatteras. Thx
Old 10-15-2020, 07:21 PM   #9

Update. Made it to obx and stayed at camp Hatteras. Great trip to the other islands by ferry. Drove north to front royal and down the skyline drive to blue ridge to Cherokee. Then i40 home. Great trip and thanks to all. No problem with hills or tunnels