Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2017, 08:28 AM   #1

Thousand trails

wondering if the thousand trails camping pass is worth the money. they are offering 100 nights camping free and a 100 of the price . does not seem to be a lot of campgrounds in new england any comments would be helpful thank you oldnewguy would be in a class c motor home
oldnewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:53 AM   #2

Only you can answer that. Do you like camping in commercial campgrounds? Do they offer campgrounds in locations you plan to frequent? Do they offer amenities that you like? Will you enjoy them enough to justify the commitment? Are there reasonable options if you want to get out of your commitment?
These type plans have not appealed to me, but that is me. Only you know about you.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:05 AM   #3

Your first sentence is about Money! So our take is Any camp Club where you pay "PPA,GS,KOA,Escapees" Must be USED and Recoup our Money in 1 year,so far so good! Youroo!!
Old 05-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #4

My take like Youroo is you have to do allot of camping at their places to make it worth the payout. I don't like being stuck to going to specific sites so it would not be worth the money to me. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:25 PM   #5

Thousand trails

I was just at the Gettysburg TT CG for 6 nights had horrible water pressure for most of the trip and Black water for last 2 days after they had to replace the 15 year old pump. This time last year same timeframe we were at Circle M and their pump blew no water for 2 days.

They are pushing for more Full Timers and Seasonal but yet they keep selling TT Elite or Zone Passes when you can't even get into CG's that are already existing.

So of my 14 in North East Zone, there are 6 I will never go to, either bc they are far or restrictions are strict, the other 8 3/4 I can't book with a 60 Day booking window the the rest have Water/Sewer/Electrical issues or very few 50 AMP.

Ask around before you buy, or call the CG's to see if they will book you, @ what I pay for yearly Zone Pass comes to $12-$15 per night but when you can't get in or get a full hookup? What's it worth to you?

There is a very easy way to fix this but the investors don't want to spend $ on the CG's so they crumble and we suffer for that.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:15 PM   #6

DW and I got the offer of free Thousand Trails camping when we got our TT but did not take them up on it. Not too many of their places in the northeast and multi-zone or whatever they call it seemed pricey. I want to do more camping and not go the resort route; prefer state and national parks. JMHO

2015 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 w/Timbrens
5.3L V8 3.42 Gears Reg Cab 8' Bed
Curt Trunnion WD Hitch
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Waterops1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterops1 View Post
DW and I got the offer of free Thousand Trails camping when we got our TT but did not take them up on it. Not too many of their places in the northeast and multi-zone or whatever they call it seemed pricey. I want to do more camping and not go the resort route; prefer state and national parks. JMHO

Yeah we will do state parks when we go out west but for the 2 Zones in the North East and South East some aren't bad but been a member for 3 years and only had issues at 4 parks out of the 34-37 in the east coast.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:37 PM   #8
Enjoying Life

Been a member for many years. We bought in before all these zone restrictions. We are allowed to stay in any one CG for up to 21 days before having to leave or pay fee. Have access to all CGs in US and to the Encore/Equity sites as well. We only pay dues now and with all the nights we have done, we stay on their dime.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:47 PM   #9
Who Dares, Wins

We are similar with the 21 days then need to be out of THAT park, but can move to another CG for 21 more days. We have used it all over the east coast and have not really ever had anything major to say against them. The parks can be a bit worn but they have been making upgrades a little at the time. I do not think I would join with the zone system because we are young and it is only good 10 years. We have lifetime membership with 3 transfers.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:05 PM   #10

I know the one in Lake Tawakoni Texas is a nice park (although dated) with on the lake access and swimming pool and club house. Almost always has vacancies.
robjordan406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
We are similar with the 21 days then need to be out of THAT park, but can move to another CG for 21 more days. We have used it all over the east coast and have not really ever had anything major to say against them. The parks can be a bit worn but they have been making upgrades a little at the time. I do not think I would join with the zone system because we are young and it is only good 10 years. We have lifetime membership with 3 transfers.

Zone is only 10 Years? The reason we only do the Zone pass each year is bc we can't retire yet and we only camp 30-50 nights per year. I looked at the Elite Basic but for $5,000 you get more then we can use and we are looking at buying a used membership bc I don't want to pay that much for something I can't use for like 5-10 years.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:21 AM   #12

Don't forget to look on the secondary market. You can get some really great deals there. My DW researched this and got us a great deal on a national pass for less than $3k for the first year and then $550 a year after that. We also can sell it one more time on the open market. I have no real complaints about any of the TT Parks we have stayed at all over the USA. Ah, one complaint is some don't have full hooks ups mainly on the west coast. Also have RPI through TT for $170?, I think, a year and get good discounts on any of those parks. I don't know all the specifics because my DW took care of it but for us it is great.
[emoji106]

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:48 PM   #13
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
Zone is only 10 Years? The reason we only do the Zone pass each year is bc we can't retire yet and we only camp 30-50 nights per year. I looked at the Elite Basic but for $5,000 you get more then we can use and we are looking at buying a used membership bc I don't want to pay that much for something I can't use for like 5-10 years.
It might have changed... They always do often but as of a few years ago (when I last looked at us vs now) it expired after 10 years or by not paying the dues.
RE reading is it yearly now? Or is it a big chunk to buy in then dues?

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 07-09-2017, 09:10 PM   #14

We pay every year and get our 1-Year membership renewed, we get 1-2 zones per year for one price but have to pay the $465 in Full which is fine with us
Old 07-10-2017, 06:08 AM   #15

If looking to buy a used membership ask for the membership # and then call the toll free #, they will tell you exactly what that membership includes and if any lives left on it incase you would want to sell at a later date There are many different levels of memberships and this is the best way to find out which each one for sale has.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:32 PM   #16
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
We pay every year and get our 1-Year membership renewed, we get 1-2 zones per year for one price but have to pay the $465 in Full which is fine with us
Ok, then.. When the zones first came out you paid 3k (making up a number). You picked A zone and then had it for a dues fee each year for 10 years then had to rejoin.. Like dblr said there are So many plans out there.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 07-10-2017, 10:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Ok, then.. When the zones first came out you paid 3k (making up a number). You picked A zone and then had it for a dues fee each year for 10 years then had to rejoin.. Like dblr said there are So many plans out there.

Ah, I get what your saying also there are Outdoor World plans for sale but the issue with those is they are limited to OW CG's and have little or no access to TT or Encore CG's.

I am looking for either the TT Elite Basic or TT Elite Connections only
Old 07-10-2017, 11:26 PM   #18

Mixed reaction to Thousand Trails.

Just used our 1st 3 nights of free year over the 4th of July wkend at Timothy Lake South near East Stroudsburg, PA:
~Generous extra car and tent on-site policy. Long sites, but too narrow. ~Sites all first-come/first choice. You can only reserve your days, not a site.
~Paved roadways-good biking in camp. Strange street layout.
~Trees and shrubs not trimmed; we were afraid a branch at one site would slice the awning. Others would scratch camper. We had to put one side of the picnic table in the bushes of the site we chose to get it under the awning & still walk through.
~No fire ring at our site. Office told us "Some people steal them. (Shouldn't they budget for that??) Find stones and make your own." Not enough around site. Next day I asked if they could send someone with stones. Reply: "If they have time." They never came.
~Have to pay for WiFi. We still couldn't connect & Office said, "Sorry, it's an independent co." They were closed, so no help until next day when by chance, we met a savvy staffer who helped. (Our security was blocking.)
~Plenty of hot water in bathhouse but drainage is bad. Standing water in showers & lavs.
I'd hate to see the staff in Sept, when they're really tired of the public! They won't be getting our money.
movinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:30 AM   #19

We slime that spot, my cousin lives 6 miles from there, nice CG, just found out another cousin from my dads side has a Park Model and has been a member of Outdoor World for years. People are nice there and sites are mostly level and working also very big CG. We don't have small kids so we don't pop up the road to Timothy Lake North, that place is too crowded.

Our fav CG is Lake & Shore in South Jersey, but very hard to get into with 430 sites and only 74 transient sites bc of Seasonal and Full Timers.