Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2018, 09:44 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artspe View Post
Be aware that there a lot of horror stories concerning e-z-pass. If they overcharge your account by hundreds or thousands of dollars, you don't have much recourse.
I had e-z-pass and the first time I was overcharged I closed it out !!! (After paying the bill)
I have had a few strange charges on my EZ Pass statements. In total less than $10 but was never able to get the bogus charges removed.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:46 PM   #102

No doubt about that. Believe it or not, I stay in Gettysburg to go to the York Nationals because its faster then coming in from the east on rt30!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
And with all the traffic lights and congestion I suspect you will burn a lot more fuel on Rt. 30 and similar roads.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:57 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_Glide View Post
I stopped at toll office when passing through Delaware earlier this year and the section was closed that sold the passes/transponders due to it being the weekend. However, once you apply it has to be sent via mail. I ended up purchasing one in my home state of NC. I applied on line and they sent it to me. It was only $7. BTW, I just passed through PA via I-84 on the way to RI and I hope I don’t have to go through theat state again. The roads are terrible. I hit some potholes that were bone shattering. My normal speed is 63 mph. The potholes are usually at short bridge spans and mostly in the right hand lane. I believe that the right lanes are torn up because of the semi trucks ride over there for the most part.
The crummy roads in PA may be due to a crummy attitude or culture in PENNDOT.

There is no geological difference in the area of the state line between PA and Delaware. Yet DE has excellent roads starting at the state line and PA offers cr@p a few inches into PA.

On my street they use some sort of machine to patch the potholes that does a terrific job and the patch will last for years as opposed to days without the machine. It sprays the asphalt through a nozzle. Reminds me of the Martian craft in the original War of the Worlds.

Anyway I mentioned that to the crew but they had no clue they were doing a good job or that this method is superior. They didn’t care.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:58 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO3putt View Post
We got ours from NY since they have special ones for RVs and have ones for motor Home pulling a toad. Works great, but don't know if you can get one being from Canada.
X2[emoji3]
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:26 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
I went through IL earlier this week on I-80. Their sign ONLY indicated that "I Pass" was accepted so, I waited in a long line to pay cash. Arriving at the toll booth, the attendant told me that my E-Z Pass had been accepted! If those bozos had included an E-Z Pass logo, I (and probably LOTS of other drivers) would NOT have been clogging up the cash lanes.

I know E=Z Pass is NOT accepted in many states (particularly southern and western states). I have to wonder WHY?????
It has been a few years since we went thru Il heading to the Dells but the tolls then were marked that ez pass was accepted, be stupid if they changed it. I was glad it was just to speed things up, now the Oasis's over the road took some getting used to.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:48 AM   #106

We are retired and we normally stay away from toll roads. Sometimes there is no getting around them but by and large we try to avoid them. I’ll probably get a N.C. quick pass for those few times that I have to pay a toll
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 03:35 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
We've got a trip planned to Hershey, PA coming up in July, and I'm trying to figure out my route, stops for gas, etc... Normally, I prefer to avoid toll roads, not because of the expense, but because I hate dealing with the hassles. I almost never carry cash and I definitely don't have exact change. And with the trailer in tow, there's so many more regulations I might need to know that I'd be completely unaware of, like would I require a transponder like the the big rigs require?

But according to various routing options, between Detroit and Hershey it's 80+ miles and almost 3 hours longer to go the non-toll route. So, I'm thinking maybe this time I'm going to have to take the toll roads. Can anybody let me know what to expect towing a fiver on the toll roads in OH/PA? What do I need to know, what do I need to expect?

Thanks,
Look up the exact toll costs online and plan ahead. Have the appropriate cash on hand.
TheBobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:38 PM   #108

We as a rule try to stay off toll roads, sometimes they can’t be avoided. The toll roads we have been on are just bad as the regular roads. Why pay more money to ride on bad roads. If the diesel is to high in a state we are passing through I just don’t buy diesel in that state but if there is any other road I take it instead of the toll road
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:59 AM   #109

Quote:
We've got a trip planned to Hershey, PA coming up in July, and I'm trying to figure out my route, stops for gas, etc... Normally, I prefer to avoid toll roads, not because of the expense, but because I hate dealing with the hassles. I almost never carry cash and I definitely don't have exact change. And with the trailer in tow, there's so many more regulations I might need to know that I'd be completely unaware of, like would I require a transponder like the the big rigs require?

But according to various routing options, between Detroit and Hershey it's 80+ miles and almost 3 hours longer to go the non-toll route. So, I'm thinking maybe this time I'm going to have to take the toll roads. Can anybody let me know what to expect towing a fiver on the toll roads in OH/PA? What do I need to know, what do I need to expect?

Thanks,
I just completed a week long trip to DC from Chicago. I used my Illinois Ipass which is compatible with the EZPass systems. We traveled through Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland, and New York. Only one place did not accept ezpass and that was the toll bridge coming into Port Huron Michigan from Canada. My total tolls towing a two axle trailer for the week came to a bit more than $170.00 USD
tdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:07 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
I just looked into this because DW is hounding me about it. Our state doesn't have tolls (yet!), but we occasionally travel to neighboring NY and MA where there are tolls.

My question is, if you sign up for a passenger vehicle and then use the EZPass pulling a trailer, are there sensors that detect that you have extra axels and charge you accordingly?
You can do it one of two ways.

1. setup ezpass with the tow vehicle and trailer
0r
2. set it up with just the tow vehicle.

I use option 2 because I may not always be pulling the trailer. Had no problems getting billed correctly across all the states I was in last week.
tdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:40 PM   #111
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiller View Post
You can do it one of two ways.

1. setup ezpass with the tow vehicle and trailer
0r
2. set it up with just the tow vehicle.

I use option 2 because I may not always be pulling the trailer. Had no problems getting billed correctly across all the states I was in last week.
That's good to know because NYS just issued me ONE transponder for use among my two vehicles and trailer, even though I listed them separately on the application.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:13 PM   #112

In Jersey, you tell them how many transponders you want and list what is going to use them. I have 3. My pickup, DWs SUV, and the third for RV, car trailer, 32 Ford and 62 Falcon. Easy.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:27 PM   #113

Quote:

Thanks,
You only need to get the personal transponder for your car. When you go through the toll booth the computer counts axles and weights and will bill you accordingly in PA.
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:42 PM   #114

Does that everywhere that is EZPass!
Old 06-18-2018, 05:22 PM   #115

To Toll or Not To Toll - That is the Question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
X2! That's why I got a SunPass for Florida! Down there most thank the free road and the toll is faster due to less traffic when we used them.

If you bought in Florida, it’s Sun Pass and only good in Florida, Georgia and North Carolina. State has been trying to work out with other states even though a federal law mandated the reciprocal agreement back in 2016 with all states systems.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:41 PM   #116

That's what I got!
Old 03-24-2019, 09:15 AM   #117
Misfit Adventures

Quote:
Unfortunately, no EZ-Pass here in Canada. And as a Canadian, I don't think I can even get one. I remember looking into them years back when working a project in NJ and I needed to take toll roads from LGA in a rental car. At the time, they needed a US based address to sign up. Instead, I just had to pay the grossly inflated rental company's toll pass rental rates.

I'll check into whether or not there's an option though... things might have changed.

So, without EZ-Pass, what's the process? How much hassle am I looking at?
I am Canadian I have an ez pass as well as sun pass .. Work great
Misfit011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:27 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit011 View Post
I am Canadian I have an ez pass as well as sun pass .. Work great
It appears that Florida is installing E-pass. I used it with my ez-pass this week in the Orlando area. Toll taker said " you don't need to stop . You have EZ-Pass.
Look for the letter E in a yellow square on the Sunpass Toll signs.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:51 AM   #119

To Toll or Not To Toll - That is the Question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
It appears that Florida is installing E-pass. I used it with my ez-pass this week in the Orlando area. Toll taker said " you don't need to stop . You have EZ-Pass.

Florida toll roads are hard to figure out. As of now, E-Pass is accepted on the Central Florida Expressway Authority roads but not on roads managed by the FDOT. So, Sun Pass is still needed.
https://www.cfxway.com/e-zpass/
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:11 PM   #120
Misfit Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
[emoji115] So easy saves time
Misfit011 is offline   Reply With Quote