Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2019, 01:39 PM   #1
Member
 
LarrysPony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Gainesville Georgia
Posts: 38
Traveling over 441 to Pigeon Forge

Looking for opinions on taking a 30 foot trailer on Hwy 441 thru Cherokee NC to Pigeon Forge and Back in late April. My total rig with truck is about 51 feet. Is it to curvy and/or steep. Traveling from Gainesville Ga. Thanks.
__________________
Larry and Linda
2017 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2606WS
2016 Ford SuperCrew 3.5 Ecoboost
LarrysPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:59 PM   #2
...far N Georgia!
 
formerFR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Hiawassee, GA!
Posts: 3,164
you'll be fine - curvy and steep is the fun part. There is one tunnel about 1/2 way thru, but other than that, it's views, views, views - very nice.... take your time and have a nice drive...

now, since you're driving up from Gainesville, make sure to also go thru Helen on the way, which also has it's own 'curvy, steep' drive over the mountain and into the Hiawassee area, where you'll turn right into North Carolina on the north side of town.

In a few miles, you'll hit Hayesville, NC, our town, where we live on the north side in the beautiful Tusquittee valley, with mountains all around our mountain cabin.
Turning left in Hayesville, on US64 West, will take you to Murphy, then right, all the way to Cherokee, along the Nantahala river much of the way - the home to many river rafting companies.

...this is the 'exciting' travel path, others are o.k., but take the one that will be memorable!
__________________

The Turners...
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 compact diesel 100k+miles since '14... US, Alaska, Canada...
AND a '14 Gulfstream Amerlite
AND a '07 ForestRIver Rockwood : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 02:02 PM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator
 
aceinspp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: GA
Posts: 17,274
We have taken 441 to as far as Cherokee NC then cut over to I 40 Good roads that way. Later RJD
__________________
2020 Shasta Phoenix SPF 27RKSS
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 46
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 02:06 PM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator
 
aceinspp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: GA
Posts: 17,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
you'll be fine - curvy and steep is the fun part. There is one tunnel about 1/2 way thru, but other than that, it's views, views, views - very nice.... take your time and have a nice drive...

now, since you're driving up from Gainesville, make sure to also go thru Helen on the way, which also has it's own 'curvy, steep' drive over the mountain and into the Hiawassee area, where you'll turn right into North Carolina on the north side of town.

In a few miles, you'll hit Hayesville, NC, our town, where we live on the north side in the beautiful Tusquittee valley, with mountains all around our mountain cabin.
Turning left in Hayesville, on US64 West, will take you to Murphy, then right, all the way to Cherokee, along the Nantahala river much of the way - the home to many river rafting companies.

...this is the 'exciting' travel path, others are o.k., but take the one that will be memorable!

He be going up 441 and Helen will be out of the way unless he wants to take your 2nd route. Later RJD
__________________
2020 Shasta Phoenix SPF 27RKSS
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 46
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:40 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrysPony View Post
Looking for opinions on taking a 30 foot trailer on Hwy 441 thru Cherokee NC to Pigeon Forge and Back in late April. My total rig with truck is about 51 feet. Is it to curvy and/or steep. Traveling from Gainesville Ga. Thanks.
I'm planning on seeing Dolly later in the year. Say ho for us.
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL 378TS (Large box with wheels) 76,100 miles
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:05 PM   #6
Kanadian Kamper
 
kenandterry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I'm planning on seeing Dolly later in the year. Say ho for us.
......but is Dolly planning on seeing you Iggy? ��
__________________

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S with Trekker cap
and only rarely pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:26 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
......but is Dolly planning on seeing you Iggy? ��
Ken hate to say this but you sure have a negative problem any time I say something lately.
What's up with you. Forgetting to take your Meds?
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL 378TS (Large box with wheels) 76,100 miles
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:44 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 186
You will be fine. I have made this drive many times. Just remember to use lower gears on the way down, there are a few sharp curves and you don't want to get your brakes too hot. The views are worth the drive.
__________________
2015 Cherokee 274DBH
2015 Ram 3500
klrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:00 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
rlh1957's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southeast
Posts: 1,047
That's how we did it back in the day... US441. Everything ran on that.
Family all in the car towing that trailer.
__________________
2018 Forest River Rockwood Roo
24WS

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:31 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
SternHappens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Seymour, TN
Posts: 225
If you want to just get to Pigeon Forge (which 441 through the park can take an awful long time depending on time of day and it is all uphill halfway and downhill the other, I suggest 441 to to 74 east just past Dillsboro (follow signs to Silva and Waynesville) get on I40 West (assuming it's open, closed right now for a week due to landslide from all the rain) then you have 3 options: 1) is to get off at exit 440 onto 321 which goes through Cosby and into Gatlinburg and then Pigeon Forge; 2) get off exit 432A (second Newport exit) take 411 to Sevierville and then follow the signs to Pigeon Forge, (this takes you by the Bush Beans plant which apparently is tourist stop!, go figure); option 3 which is least amount of small roads and no further 2 lane roads, is to stay on I40 all the way to exit 407, (ball field, Bass Pro, etc) and come down 66, and you will see the majority of tourist spots from 407 through Sevierville and into Pigeon Forge. This is the main way in and out so sometimes very busy and congested - but again has the most lanes. Enjoy!!!!
__________________
2015 Georgetown 364TS, '05 TJ flat, or '14 Fiesta 5 spd w/Tandem Tow Dolly HDXL 8x10, & EZGO Customized Cart
Days Out '17-25{Days in Shop 141}; '16-59; '15-56.
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WFKS '14-24, '13-33, '12-36, '11-29, '10-23.

SternHappens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:17 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
IchLiebeBier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 361
There are lots of pullouts too to let vehicles get past you on the uphill portion. The expectation (and I mean the park ranger expectation) is to pull over if you have 5 cars behind you. I don't know if that's truly a rule, but that was the word around when I lived in western NC a while back.
__________________
2019 Heritage Glen LTZ 272RL
2018 Ram 2500 CTD
IchLiebeBier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:59 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 36
If its the journey take 441

Its not a hard pull, it is a beautiful trip. Enjoy
NormTn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:54 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Villagerjjm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 598
I took 441 from Gatlinburg to Cherokee pulling a 26 foot Mini Lite with my Colorado. Take a close look at the route on Google maps. There is one spot that actually looks like a circle. It reminded me of an upright corkscrew or spiral staircase: a tight climbing (or descending) curve that goes through a tunnel. There are a lot of blind curves and the beauty of the area draws your attention away from the road. Beware of stopped traffic on the other side of blind curves. People will stop suddenly if they see any type of wildlife. Show some courtesy and pull over into some of the observation areas to allow traffic behind you to get by.

It was a fun ride....!
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:53 PM   #14
Member
 
dvalley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: NH
Posts: 86
Also heading down this way in late summer so have been following this thread and very interested in all people have had to say so far. Also trying to decide if should take this road. How long a drive is it from Cherokee to Gatlinburg on 441 and what is the general road condition?
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:09 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw,NC
Posts: 7,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by SternHappens View Post
If you want to just get to Pigeon Forge (which 441 through the park can take an awful long time depending on time of day and it is all uphill halfway and downhill the other, I suggest 441 to to 74 east just past Dillsboro (follow signs to Silva and Waynesville) get on I40 West (assuming it's open, closed right now for a week due to landslide from all the rain) then you have 3 options: 1) is to get off at exit 440 onto 321 which goes through Cosby and into Gatlinburg and then Pigeon Forge; 2) get off exit 432A (second Newport exit) take 411 to Sevierville and then follow the signs to Pigeon Forge, (this takes you by the Bush Beans plant which apparently is tourist stop!, go figure); option 3 which is least amount of small roads and no further 2 lane roads, is to stay on I40 all the way to exit 407, (ball field, Bass Pro, etc) and come down 66, and you will see the majority of tourist spots from 407 through Sevierville and into Pigeon Forge. This is the main way in and out so sometimes very busy and congested - but again has the most lanes. Enjoy!!!!


If you taking 411 to Sevierville once you come into town start looking for Veterans Blvd, take Veterans Blvd all the way to Pigeon Forge or to anyplace you want to go. Not a lot of traffic on Veterans Blvd and four lane
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:10 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
SternHappens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Seymour, TN
Posts: 225
441 from Gatlinburg to Cherokee is in good shape very smooth surface. It's a scenic road with lots of pulloffs for picture taking. Also multitude of pulloffs for slower traffic to pull over and let others go by, although even with signage sometimes the pulloffs are not used by rude drivers. When busy the pace can be around 15-20mph. A bit faster if not so busy.
Agree that Veterans Blvd will get you off the main parkway when traveling from Sevierville to 1/2 into Pigeon Forge, but depends on where you are going exactly whether it is worth diverting over to it as it can take an extra 10 min just to get to the end of it down Dolly Parton Parkway in Sevierville.
__________________
2015 Georgetown 364TS, '05 TJ flat, or '14 Fiesta 5 spd w/Tandem Tow Dolly HDXL 8x10, & EZGO Customized Cart
Days Out '17-25{Days in Shop 141}; '16-59; '15-56.
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WFKS '14-24, '13-33, '12-36, '11-29, '10-23.

SternHappens is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
travel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 AM.