Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2021, 12:23 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Well it looks like the trip is fleshing out well. Would encourage you to stop and give both Savannah and Charleston a look on your way north. Just got back from 2 weeks in St. Augustine and you'll find plenty of interest...the KOA on Anastasia Island there is pricey but nicey and great location for both beach...down the block...and city.
The Maine trip is one we're doing again this summer but our reservations were made in October...hope they open things up more by summer. If you're trying to see Acadia... think about the small park in Winter Harbor on the Schoodic Penninsula separate north part of Acadia. Short Ferry ride across to Bar Harbor and all the main park free buses. Other tip is to drive as far northeast as you intend to go on 95...then cut to the coast and work your way back south on route 1 and all the little seashore towns.
For your route home...I suggest using the NY Thruway across New York and seeing Niagara Falls and possibly Lake Champlain/Lake George and the Finger Lakes region. Then you can keep heading west and decide which Interstates you'd like to travel to get home...and what sights are along those routes.
Thanks for the tips.
We're figuring Niagara for sure. Depending on how things thaw out will determine our route home. We've seen a lot of the Dakota's, Yellowstone, Tetons ETC. so we may dawdle around the Great lake area if the conditions are right.
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:13 PM   #82

I didn’t see it in your post, but if not, I would suggest stopping to see Monticello as well. You won’t be disappointed!
Old 02-25-2021, 08:13 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
I didn’t see it in your post, but if not, I would suggest stopping to see Monticello as well. You won’t be disappointed!
I'm sure we'll make that. Along with a dozen other places we don't know about yet!
Old 02-25-2021, 10:57 PM   #84

Of you're going to Montecello you should see Mt. Vernon too. Annapolis is another good spot. Naval Academy tour and lots of other history in town as well. I particularly like the Capitol building. You can go into the room Washington resigned his army commission.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:53 AM   #85
MCTroy

You will like Gettysburg. We spent just a weekend there but want to go back when we have more time. The driving tour of the Military Park was outstanding. That can take most of a day easily. The town is charming too. Just a few miles away is another nice state (maybe National) park known for its waterfalls. We drove through it and wished we could have stopped. Have fun!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:18 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
You will like Gettysburg. We spent just a weekend there but want to go back when we have more time. The driving tour of the Military Park was outstanding. That can take most of a day easily. The town is charming too. Just a few miles away is another nice state (maybe National) park known for its waterfalls. We drove through it and wished we could have stopped. Have fun!
You make it sound like we need to give it more time. We thought it would be a couple days at best and we would do Hershey, and DC as well. What do you think is a realistic time to spend in Gettysburg?
Old 02-27-2021, 12:13 AM   #87

I lived in Annapolis for 5 years. We didn't even come close to seeing everything mentioned here in the DC area. Don't try to do it all in one trip. You will rush through everything. You can always come back.

Old 02-27-2021, 10:04 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
I lived in Annapolis for 5 years. We didn't even come close to seeing everything mentioned here in the DC area. Don't try to do it all in one trip. You will rush through everything. You can always come back.
Yeah, I think we're coming to that realization....
Old 02-27-2021, 10:38 AM   #89

Keep in mind;

https://www.si.edu/museums

“As a public health precaution due to COVID-19, all Smithsonian museums and the National Zoo are temporarily closed to the public as of Monday, Nov. 23. Outdoor gardens remain open, no passes required”

I Think you can still do the Mall with all it’s memorials and probably Arlington Cemetery but I would think you will want to verify those before you go. Hopefully things will reopen before you get there.

Walking the mall and spending a few minutes at each memorial is a pretty full day. You could spend a couple of hours at Arlington to see the highlights or spend a day looking for specific people’s resting places.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 05:50 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
Keep in mind;

https://www.si.edu/museums

“As a public health precaution due to COVID-19, all Smithsonian museums and the National Zoo are temporarily closed to the public as of Monday, Nov. 23. Outdoor gardens remain open, no passes required”

I Think you can still do the Mall with all it’s memorials and probably Arlington Cemetery but I would think you will want to verify those before you go. Hopefully things will reopen before you get there.

Walking the mall and spending a few minutes at each memorial is a pretty full day. You could spend a couple of hours at Arlington to see the highlights or spend a day looking for specific people’s resting places.
Yeah, we saw that. Would still like to see the Capitol and what ever is available.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:51 PM   #91
MCTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney 78865 View Post
You make it sound like we need to give it more time. We thought it would be a couple days at best and we would do Hershey, and DC as well. What do you think is a realistic time to spend in Gettysburg?
I would want 3 days
It may depend on how much you like to do in one day. We like to be out 6 hours or so. 1 day Military Park, 1 day other state parks and waterfalls, 1 day for the town shops and museum in Gettysburg.
While Annapolis is beautiful we found more we wanted to see and do in Gettysburg. Be sure to get a burger at the Gettysburger restaurant! Amazing food and OMG desserts!!
Old 02-27-2021, 10:13 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
I would want 3 days
It may depend on how much you like to do in one day. We like to be out 6 hours or so. 1 day Military Park, 1 day other state parks and waterfalls, 1 day for the town shops and museum in Gettysburg.
While Annapolis is beautiful we found more we wanted to see and do in Gettysburg. Be sure to get a burger at the Gettysburger restaurant! Amazing food and OMG desserts!!
Copy that!
Old 03-09-2021, 10:43 AM   #93

We have pretty much got our route and itinerary up through Gettysburg. Actually fairly straight forward to that point. We have reservations at all of the places we intend to stay at more than over night, so I think we're set. As the trip progress we'll keep looking north and see how things develop as far as COVID. Both of us will have had our second vaccination shot prior to leaving. We will have a couple long days driving due to availability at our next destination, but it will be doable.
We'll be heading out April 3rd, home? Can't say. (I've been wanting to say that for YEARS!)
Our route so to speak:
Clovis CA
Carlsbad Caverns
San Antonio
New Orleans
Orlando
St Augustine
Williamsburg
Gettysburg
Bar Harbor (tentative)
Niagara Falls (tentative)
Haven't thought about the route home too much but figure we'll piddle around the Great Lakes area a bit and slowly head back.
Thanks everyone for the tips, and thoughts on where to stay and how long places deserve to have an appreciation.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:27 AM   #94

If you are heading out to Niagara Falls, it may be worth a stop in the Adirondacks. We are heading from Ohio to Niagara Falls, Adirondacks, Burlington, VT, Wells, ME, then back home this summer.

Old 03-16-2021, 08:25 PM   #95

Things are starting to look a bit better as far as restrictions on the east coast. PA is now unrestricted and today Maryland is no quarantine, and New Hampshire is un restricted. We might actually make the North eastern coast. If NY doesn't pan out we are going to go to Michigan and hit up Mackinac island. Actually, we're going to do that baring unforeseen issues no matter what.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:42 PM   #96
MCTroy

Thanks for the update on Maryland. We are traveling there in 3 weeks.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:52 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney 78865 View Post
Things are starting to look a bit better as far as restrictions on the east coast. PA is now unrestricted and today Maryland is no quarantine, and New Hampshire is un restricted. We might actually make the North eastern coast. If NY doesn't pan out we are going to go to Michigan and hit up Mackinac island. Actually, we're going to do that baring unforeseen issues no matter what.

Totally recommend Mackinac Island. We were there last year for the first time. You definitely have to stay on the island overnight to get the feel once all the day trippers leave on the last boat.

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:33 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Well I'd suggest that you think about seeing Western NY State in the finger lakes region AND Niagra Falls which is as spectacular as can be. You COULD do this on the way home from Maine by taking the NYS Northway and Thruway west . I like heading north to Maine on the Thruway from north of NYC...then you could stop at Lake George and Fort Ticonderoge or Lake Champlain before crossing over Vermont and NH...to Maine. Route 2 would put you all the way across into Northern Maine and Acadia (don't miss the Schoodic Penninsula) and then you can work your way south on the Maine coast through all the wonderful towns to Portland. (Belfast, Rockland, Rockport, Camden, Boothbay Harbor and Bath are not to be missed and Freeport to see the LL Bean original store. Portland is a nice small city worthy of some time and from there you can begin the road back home by heading south on 95 to Portsmouth NH and then back west across southern NH and Vt (Rt. 4 and 9)... or stay on 95 and run to the Mass Turnpike for a speedier route west and the Berkshires & historic towns. Alternatively...staying on 95 will let you pack on the miles if you're looking for a more southerly route home...but I'd avoid it for a more westerly or southwesterly hookup with the major highways west. Have a great trip and leave some lobster for the rest of us!
Great advice on Routes through New England and Maine. My only advice is not to do the coast of Maine until the Fall. In the Summer there are just too many tourists and traffic. Once school starts, the traffic drops to very acceptable levels.

Also, don't forget RTE 20 in Upstate New York. It is a National Scenic Bicycling Route that runs through some unique geography. An added benefit is that the Finger Lakes is NY wine country. I have toured that area by motorcycle many times and in the Fall there is a consistent sweet smell of sweet grapes and hundreds of small wineries with tasting rooms.
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel