Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2021, 10:03 AM   #61

We are leaving April 28th from Carson City Nv taking the Southern route . This will be our 5th west coast to east coast trip and our 2nd taking the southern route. We used to drive 300 miles a day. Now we take our time and drive 200 -225 a day. This trip we will be on the road for 5 months going to both rallies in Georgia and Colorado.if you are going to Washington. Stay at Cherry Hill RV Resort . Have a safe trip.
vandersr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 11:13 AM   #62

Congratulations on a fantastic trip. Get the RV Trip Wizard program. It can be a little cumbersome to start with, but really helpful for us when planning and touring areas we are not familiar with. My personal experience with the east coast roads is dated, but was always impressed with how the off freeway roads were game trails that became wagon roads then highways. Beautiful, but today's "wagons" are so much bigger.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 01:17 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Sifter View Post
Congratulations on a fantastic trip. Get the RV Trip Wizard program. It can be a little cumbersome to start with, but really helpful for us when planning and touring areas we are not familiar with. My personal experience with the east coast roads is dated, but was always impressed with how the off freeway roads were game trails that became wagon roads then highways. Beautiful, but today's "wagons" are so much bigger.
Thanks. I've been using a combination of RV Trip Wizard, Google Maps and Passport America's route planner. We have a lot of mileage to plan for and with the travel restrictions it will be tricky. With a bit of luck we will get out there. We have no firm "have to leave" timeframe so we're flexible. Shoot, this may end up being a trip to look at fall colors...or next year's trip. Which will pretty much suck as this is the "I'm retired with no time constraint" trip.
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 01:29 PM   #64

I live in NJ, have traveled most of the east coast over the past 10 years, we are beach lovers so if you are around in the summer I recommend. Lakewood campground in myrtle beach SC, Chesapeake Bay KOA in VA, our favorite go to place is Ocean View Resort in NJ, you can access wildwood boardwalk or ocean city boardwalk which are must see's, plus the town of Cape May NJ is really nice too!! Lake George NY is a classic destination and Mount Dessert Island Maine (Acadia National Park) is beautiful!!! Happy camping and have a safe trip!
cuttymcgavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 02:56 PM   #65

Without getting route-specific, to me, some of the places that I've been to in the East from WNY state is the Adirondack region of NY state, especially Lake Placid. One of those few areas that are as great in the summer as in winter. A short distance from Lake Placid you could take a ferry boat across Lake Champlain into Burlington, Vermont, or travel down NYS 81 into Lake George area, a little more tourist trap area than LP. However, you can loop over to Vermont from there if so desired.

I would not miss as mentioned Portland, Maine. One of the best small cities you'll find anywhere. A waterfront city with cobblestone streets, Portland is very well known in the foodie industry, often talked about in Bon Apetit and Food and Wine magazines. From there you would want to take US1 that hugs the Maine coast. The whole town of Freeport is a factory outlet that you walk the streets of Freeport lined with some of the biggest names in retail like Timberland, Under Armor, LL Bean (home office, main store, and outlet store) among others. They have large RV lots too so parking shouldn't be a problem with your rig.

The New England towns you pass through on US1 will be absolutely beautiful! Though I have not been to Kennebunkport (President Bush), I'm told it is a great place to visit, though it would be the opposite direction of Freeport heading to Bar Harbor, a great place, and Acadia National Park. Being a West coaster, you may like the idea of sunrise from atop Cadillac Mountain.

New Hampshire is beautiful! The mountains, towns like No. Conway all the way down to the coast is great. My wife and I can't wait to go back, a lot to see and do and the people are great.

If you have thought about it, I'd skip Cape Cod. Very residential, essentially a wealthy suburb of Boston. For a place surrounded by water, very hard to find a waterfront restaurant. However, the beaches are great.

Heading down and back West through New York you could take I90, or, in NY the NYS Thruway (tolls) into Buffalo and 22 miles away Niagara Falls. Buffalo is very underrated and from Spring forward there is always something going on, although Covid may still put a knot into some. Niagara Falls itself is beautiful, the city of its name, not so much. Few visitors to the Falls stay after taking in the Falls and attractions.

As previously mentioned, the Finger Lakes region of NY is quaint, beautiful, and loaded with some world-class wines. All told there are close to if not more than 200 wineries within perhaps a 75-mile range. The most prominent area is the Seneca Lake wine that will cover over 75 wineries. Next would be Keuka Lake wine trail more West and Cayuga Lake trail highlighted by another great small city, Ithaca, NY, home to Cornell and Ithaca Colleges. With being a college town, the downtown area is full of great culture, entertainment, and great restaurants.

Enjoy the East and your trip!!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 06:00 PM   #66

We did the Gettysburg trip from Massachusetts. The Artillery Ridge Campground is like a half mile from the entrance to the park. Returning to Massachusetts you need to avoid NY and southern Connecticut. Nothing but traffic and stop and go. We went up Rte 15 to Rte 81 to Rte 84 into Connecticut to the Massachusetts border. This will be around 350 miles. From there go on the Mass Pike (Rte 90) to Rte 495 (around Boston Metro area). From here it depends where you go. It would be ashame if you didn't go to New Hampshire before Maine. The most scenic area in New England is through Franconia Notch on Rte 93. Get off on Rte 3 then take a right on Rte 302 down to the Mount Washington Resort. Here you can see the Presidential Range and Mount Washington (highest peak in the northeast). You can go into the Mount Washington Resort (an incredible hotel with an incredible history) and go out onto the back porch for an incredible view of Mount Washington. You can also view this from across the street of the resort in a parking area for viewing. If you can, take a ride up Mount Washington via the road in your own vehicle, the Cog Railway or van with a guide. Trip of a lifetime. From here to Maine there are no interstate highways, just rural roads depending on where you are going in Maine. If you don't go to New Hampshire, from Rte 495 continue to Rte 95 into Maine. Plenty of campgrounds in New England from private to state run. Enjoy your trip.
sogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:54 AM   #67

Sogs, excellent route info on NH! Portland Maine is only like 75 miles from Conway too!
Old 02-07-2021, 11:36 AM   #68
Going Solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campah View Post
Yes. From Gettysburg, get to I-81 and run that to Scranton PA. There you have a choice-you can take I-84 across the lower portion of NY into CT and then up to the MA pike (I-90) or you can take I-88 to Albany NY and then get on the MA pike. Take the MA pike to I 290 in Worcester and then to I 495 to I 95 through NH and Maine (where the interstate turns to gravel.....just kidding). In Maine, take I-95 to Portland and get on I-290 up to Brunswick and then spend some time driving along US 1 north. Make sure you get up to Bar Harbor and if you have the time and the border is open, a day trip from BH to Campobello is a great day. When you head home, drive across Maine and the Western mountains toward North Conway NH and take either US 302 or the Kanc and work your way to VT. There is a great campground on Hero Island VT (just outside of Burlington) called Champlain Resort Adult Campground (it's not kinky-just adults and no kids) and from there you can take the ferry across Lake Champlain to I 87 and either go north to Montreal or south to the NY thruway (I-90).

Hope you enjoy New England.

Oh-make sure you get an EZ Pass-many of the roads have electronic tolling and do not have toll collectors.....
In VT, the Lake Champlain island is called Grand Isle. Apple Island Resort is in South Hero on the island. Marina, 9 hole golf and general store w\deli. Not familiar with the CG mentioned in the post. Apple Island is not adults only, but it is a more upscale resort. And no, there are few covid restrictions. I travelled\travel to VT each summer. Have been for years. I95 around DC and MD is a witch, Richmond, not so bad. Lived there most of my life. Just avoid rush hour..before 9am and around 4 to 7pm. I 295 will take you completely around Richmond VA. Ez Hwy. Gettysburg to Binghamton to Albany...very good route. I81 good BUT can be quite rough riding. PA doesn't spend a lot on roads. Just watch your speed.
tjwdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 01:23 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Ruff View Post
When we did the Washington DC area we stayed at Cherry Hill Campground. There's a bus stop at the campground that will take you to train which takes you right into DC. Very easy to get around this way. I would highly recommend. Check it out.
I agree completely. Traffic in DC is horrible and parking is worse. Public transportation is the way to go.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 01:45 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttymcgavin View Post
I live in NJ, have traveled most of the east coast over the past 10 years, we are beach lovers so if you are around in the summer I recommend. Lakewood campground in myrtle beach SC, Chesapeake Bay KOA in VA, our favorite go to place is Ocean View Resort in NJ, you can access wildwood boardwalk or ocean city boardwalk which are must see's, plus the town of Cape May NJ is really nice too!! Lake George NY is a classic destination and Mount Dessert Island Maine (Acadia National Park) is beautiful!!! Happy camping and have a safe trip!
When my kids were young, I took them to Ocean View Resort every year with family friends. What a nice place,I have many fond memories, as do my kids. The Cape May Zoo was an annual stop, as was the Ocean City Boardwalk.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:10 PM   #71

Some of our planned travel states are starting to ease restrictions as far as testing and quarantines. We really probably won't have to deal with 72 hour testing until we get to PA. Thinking of having tests done in LA, or maybe West Virginia. With a bit of luck the North East will also loosen up, Right now Maine only allows residents to camp....
Old 02-17-2021, 10:49 AM   #72

Mooney, I far as I know, no campgrounds are asking for testing done. And, as you do hit some of the East Coast towns to visit, no one is going to be standing there asking you where are you from. Even in last year's Covid frenzy, my DW and I camped in Ohio, PA, NY, and visited family in Raleigh, NC, and not once did anyone bother to ask where we were from and if we had been tested. That includes state parks and federal C.O.E. campgrounds.

You should be fine.
Old 02-17-2021, 11:01 AM   #73

I’ve booked 2 camp sites in Maine without issue. But need proof of a negative test with in 72 hour or must Quarantine for 14 days in state according to there web sites and the campground when we called.The test covers all New England states.
I haven’t seen anything for in state camping only.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:10 PM   #74

My wife and I just got our second COVID-19 vaccine in Lake County, Florida. We were each given a card that details the dates we were vaccinated and the Lot Numbers for both the first vaccine and the second. We were told to keep the cards safe and make copies to use. I asked why and I was told that the cards were proof of vaccination for travelling, and we will have to show the cards when we get a passport. We plan on going up to Canada this summer, so we will get our passports updated to show proof of completing the vaccination process.
I guess they will be required by the Cruise Lines and Theme Parks...
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:05 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
I’ve booked 2 camp sites in Maine without issue. But need proof of a negative test with in 72 hour or must Quarantine for 14 days in state according to there web sites and the campground when we called.The test covers all New England states.
I haven’t seen anything for in state camping only.
That's pretty much what I'm seeing as well.
Old 02-17-2021, 06:07 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
My wife and I just got our second COVID-19 vaccine in Lake County, Florida. We were each given a card that details the dates we were vaccinated and the Lot Numbers for both the first vaccine and the second. We were told to keep the cards safe and make copies to use. I asked why and I was told that the cards were proof of vaccination for travelling, and we will have to show the cards when we get a passport. We plan on going up to Canada this summer, so we will get our passports updated to show proof of completing the vaccination process.
I guess they will be required by the Cruise Lines and Theme Parks...
I WISH the wife and I could get a vaccination! CA is so screwed up it's like they are not even promoting vaccination sites any longer because they do not have enough to give the second shot when needed.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:06 AM   #77

Well I think we have about 75% of the trip out east mapped out.
We figure to depart Clovis Ca on the 3rd of April and head south and east basically on I10 all the way to Florida. Where we will head to the Orlando area to visit her relatives. (I know, wasn't originally in the plan, but I'm domesticated) Then over to I95 and head north.
We haven't really finalized anything for Gettysburg, mostly because we are not sure how long we will be in the area.
So far we have reservations in and around the following areas:
Carlsbad Caverns 2 nights
San Antonio 2 nights
New Orleans 4 nights
Williamsburg 4 nights
Gettysburg area 4-6 nights?
Then continue north for another 2 weeks or so before heading back west. (which we have no itinerary for)
While we really didn't want to have a lot of reservations going into the trip, watching and reading other folks thoughts about how hard it will be to find anything this year we decided it would be a good idea. Sort of takes the spontaneity out of things but there you go.
All of our trips to date have been "vacations" with set time frames for getting back to work. Not so this trip. We are really going to try and put the "get there itus" mentality on the shelf as much as possible.
The goal is to see the eastern side of the country, so really everything up to Williamsburg is along the route and a nice diversion. There are places we would like to go while we are in route so to speak, like St Augustine, that we will fit in as time allows.
The motorhome is ready, I think we're ready, so fingers crossed!
Old 02-25-2021, 11:28 AM   #78

Well it looks like the trip is fleshing out well. Would encourage you to stop and give both Savannah and Charleston a look on your way north. Just got back from 2 weeks in St. Augustine and you'll find plenty of interest...the KOA on Anastasia Island there is pricey but nicey and great location for both beach...down the block...and city.
The Maine trip is one we're doing again this summer but our reservations were made in October...hope they open things up more by summer. If you're trying to see Acadia... think about the small park in Winter Harbor on the Schoodic Penninsula separate north part of Acadia. Short Ferry ride across to Bar Harbor and all the main park free buses. Other tip is to drive as far northeast as you intend to go on 95...then cut to the coast and work your way back south on route 1 and all the little seashore towns.
For your route home...I suggest using the NY Thruway across New York and seeing Niagara Falls and possibly Lake Champlain/Lake George and the Finger Lakes region. Then you can keep heading west and decide which Interstates you'd like to travel to get home...and what sights are along those routes.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:37 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney 78865 View Post
Well I think we have about 75% of the trip out east mapped out.
We figure to depart Clovis Ca.....
Nice Moto Guzzi!
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:18 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFromMaine View Post
Nice Moto Guzzi!
LOL! Thanks. I love it! I've done maybe 10,000 miles off road with it, and have about 35,000 total. 5 BDR's, Mexico to Canada in the dirt and it is the most reliable unpretentious bike I've ever owned.
I always get two questions, "who makes it?" Moto Guzzi. "I know, but who makes it?" Moto Guzzi, "Yeah I see that, but who makes it?" Honda. "Oh WOW" or " Moto Guzzi is still in business?"
Lovely bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1650 (3).jpg
Views:	41
Size:	441.1 KB
ID:	248380   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1642 (2).jpg
Views:	32
Size:	520.2 KB
ID:	248381