Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2021, 04:28 PM   #1

Trip advice/opinion

Hello all, I'm looking for opinions and or advice on a trip in March. I'm planning on driving a 31ft class c with toad from Cincinnati, Ohio to Sebastian, Florida. I would like to avoid going through Atlanta so my GPS is showing a route that has me taking I75 south to Knoxville, Tn and picking up I40 to I26 to I95 through the Carolinas. My concern is the mountains and hills on that route from Knoxville to Ashville, or should I fight the traffic in Atlanta? All thoughts are appreciated.
Buckeye Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 04:35 PM   #2

I'd fight the traffic and take the loop around Atlanta. If you avoid rush hour, you should be ok. At that time of year, your goal should be to get south as fast as possible and avoid mountains.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Dad View Post
Hello all, I'm looking for opinions and or advice on a trip in March. I'm planning on driving a 31ft class c with toad from Cincinnati, Ohio to Sebastian, Florida. I would like to avoid going through Atlanta so my GPS is showing a route that has me taking I75 south to Knoxville, Tn and picking up I40 to I26 to I95 through the Carolinas. My concern is the mountains and hills on that route from Knoxville to Ashville, or should I fight the traffic in Atlanta? All thoughts are appreciated.
I live in NE Florida and my Son and family used to lived in the Cincinnati area (we use to stay at Olive Branch CG, NE of town) and I always went the 75 south, 40 East, 26 South, and 95 south and never found the run on 40 to Ashville to be a problem. I always just took my time. I ran that route with a 34' Class A towing a Ford Edge many times. I prefer that route over driving around Atlanta.

Safe Travels.
-Russ
2019 F150 Screw, 6.5 bed, 3.5 Twin Turbo EcoBoost
w/ Trailer Tow Package - Yellow Sticker Payload : 1810 lbs. (sold)
RGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:23 PM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

I avoided Atlanta like the plague. It might be ok, but when it’s not.....I’ve seen people visibly age in the vehicle beside us.

I towed our toads South on I81-I77-I26-I95 with our Georgetown and no problem.
The only climb either way is I77 between I81 and I40 and if you stay in the right hand lane the scenery is great. I was never the slowest up and over, and never the fastest......but very doable.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:59 PM   #5

We went through Atlanta last spring. With the shutdowns and it being a Sunday it was no problem. I doubt the same can be said now.

As far as I40, I have never been over that section but as long as it is an Interstate Highway and your rig is in good condition it should not be a problem. You might have to go slow up the hills but that is to be expected when crossing a mountain range.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:58 PM   #6

If you are concerned about the mountains on I 40 you could take I 81 North, east of Knoxville and catch I 26 Near Johnson City TN. This is a bit less curvey than the I 40 route.

2017 Forest River FR3 32DS
Retired Navy
Retired IT Professional
Blallen58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:22 PM   #7
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Dad View Post

My personal preference is to avoid Atlanta at all costs. Even an extra hour or hour and a half drive time is better than sitting in traffic amongst the rabid and erratic drivers.Another option to miss Atlanta is to hit I 75 near Chattanooga then use Hwy 53 near Calhoun then connect with US 27 in Rome, GA. Anywhere south of LaGrange to get back over to I 75 can work for you. Good highways and most of US 27 is four lane. I have traveled thos roads with a 38 ft fifth wheel and a 34 ft travel trailer. No issues or low bridges, plenty of fuel options.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 05:12 PM   #8
OYO

We do that trip every March from Dayton. 75/40/26/95. Usually spend the night just south of Spartanburg NC at Croft State Park.

IMO the worst part of that is I26 around Orangeburg SC. Traffic is often bad for some reason. I'm just pulling a 20' camper, but I don't think you'd have an issue.

Heading out the 3rd vaccine willing.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 05:52 PM   #9

I go right thru Atlanta , through commercial trucks must take the bypass around , pick a lane and let er rip !
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote