Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I have a Florida only Sunpass that I have not used in 2 years; hope to use it this year though.

You pay a reduced toll using EZ Pass over cash (at least in PA).
In most cases it saves you 5% over cash.
Not sure if it worth all the time and effort on EZ-Pass because each state seems to have different rules.

Not the next question is do they accept cash or do they use CC when you use the cash toll booths?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #22
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
In most cases it saves you 5% over cash.
Not sure if it worth all the time and effort on EZ-Pass because each state seems to have different rules.

Not the next question is do they accept cash or do they use CC when you use the cash toll booths?
I have never used a credit card in all the time I have lived in PA and drove the turnpike regularly all my life (except the years I was in active service).

I think someone behind you would stick a gun in your ear if you held up traffic that long. Cash only dude. AND only in the CASH ONLY lanes. They are PACKED and the only lanes that move are EZPass.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #23

Quote:

My brother and his family live there.
My Nephew lives in Cheshire on Village Drive
I should be ther June 22, 23, and 24th leaving for Boston on 25th and staying there for 3 nights at the Air Force Base.

Maybe a mini FROG coffee rally?
Yes Iggy, for sure. It would be great to meet you while you're in town. I'll mark my calendar and let's catch up again a few days before you arrive.

Dave
david-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by david-o View Post
Yes Iggy, for sure. It would be great to meet you while you're in town. I'll mark my calendar and let's catch up again a few days before you arrive.

Dave

Sound good. Hopefully we will remember when the time comes.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #25

Quote:
I have never used a credit card in all the time I have lived in PA and drove the turnpike regularly all my life (except the years I was in active service).

I think someone behind you would stick a gun in your ear if you held up traffic that long. Cash only dude. AND only in the CASH ONLY lanes. They are PACKED and the only lanes that move are EZPass.
They also mentioned that larger vehicles such as motorhomes with EZ-Pass still have to stop at a booth.
So complicated and so many rules.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #26

Having travelled many times on NJ and NY tollways and tollbridges there was no way to use a CC at the toll booths. CASH only and no pennies please is their rule. But using e-z pass will save a lot of time and a little money too. The lines at the cash lines can be very long.
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying dutchman View Post
Having travelled many times on NJ and NY tollways and tollbridges there was no way to use a CC at the toll booths. CASH only and no pennies please is their rule. But using e-z pass will save a lot of time and a little money too. The lines at the cash lines can be very long.
So to be clear it would be worth my while to start an account and get the transponder?
Someone already mentioned that even with EZ-Pass motorhomes still have to stop at booths so person can verify axlles or something then they say go ahead. This is in some states that use EZ-Pass.
Not sure how it would work pulling a toad.
Maybe that is why you still have to stop to add any additional axles when towing.

Anyone hear about this?
Old 12-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #28
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
So to be clear it would be worth my while to start an account and get the transponder?
Someone already mentioned that even with EZ-Pass motorhomes still have to stop at booths so person can verify axlles or something then they say go ahead. This is in some states that use EZ-Pass.
Not sure how it would work pulling a toad.
Maybe that is why you still have to stop to add any additional axles when towing.

Anyone hear about this?
Iggy, what you are confusing is New York and everywhere else.

In New York, the toll booths do NOT have the axle counting plate in the lane, so you have to stop and let them manually change from 2 axles to however many you have.

Everywhere else, you just drive through the EZPass lane and the correct amount will be billed to your credit card.

If you plan on traveling to the Northeast at all, I highly recommend getting an EZPass for your RV.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #29

So when the trip is over and paid the hundreds of dollars and plan never to return to the thiefways of the NE do I just send back the transponder and that's it?
Old 12-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #30

This at least will save you the 1$ monthly fee I had to pay to the NJ e-z pass authorities. The tag will make it easier to travel in the states using this system.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #31
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
So when the trip is over and paid the hundreds of dollars and plan never to return to the thiefways of the NE do I just send back the transponder and that's it?
I don't know. Not even though about how to cancel it.
Have you checked their web site or called them?
Old 12-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #32

Quote:
I don't know. Not even though about how to cancel it.
Have you checked their web site or called them?
Yes I called today. They said that you can close your account and all you have to do is send in the transponder.
I calculate that it will cost me around $130 in tolls and the 5% savings is not worth the effort or worry about any delays.
I have plenty of time.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #33
Site Team - Lou

In Florida if you don't use the Sunpass, they just bill you for the toll plus a five dollar "handling fee." They photograph your tag and send the bill to the address of record. If you don't pay in 30 days the late fees start piling up.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769
In Florida if you don't use the Sunpass, they just bill you for the toll plus a five dollar "handling fee." They photograph your tag and send the bill to the address of record. If you don't pay in 30 days the late fees start piling up.
Is the $5 handling fee every time you use the tolls?
Old 12-19-2012, 10:32 PM   #35
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamarie View Post
Is the $5 handling fee every time you use the tolls?
I am not sure if it is monthly or per toll. I only had to use the photo system for one toll and the five dollar fee was on the bill.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:38 AM   #36

According to my fading memory you still can pay cash using the cash lines. If you process through sunpass lines without a transponder you are issued a bill to the address the vehicle is registered to plus a "handling fee". This applies per violation.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #37
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying dutchman View Post
According to my fading memory you still can pay cash using the cash lines. If you process through sunpass lines without a transponder you are issued a bill to the address the vehicle is registered to plus a "handling fee". This applies per violation.
No more cash lanes anywhere in FL.
just Sunpass and cameras.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:02 AM   #38

Quote:
What a ripoff! Go through a $2 toll and get a $7 bill. That's plain ole highway robbery.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #39
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri View Post
What a ripoff! Go through a $2 toll and get a $7 bill. That's plain ole highway robbery.
Well, the "stick-on" transponder is "free" you just need to "pre-load" it with 25 bucks and an auto-refill credit card.

I wouldn't go back to FL without it.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #40

Quote:
Herk that depends on where in Florida you drive.
Here is a full understanding about Florida Toll Raods. Very simple...
If you are a visitor like my I may get a bill sent to my home but if I'm not there to see it or pay it I get fined if I'm on the road for a few months. LOL
I don;t want to buy a Sunpass in Florida for a 10 day visit when I will only be on these toll road going and leaving. What a joke.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++
Florida Traveler Information
Paying Tolls

Tips for paying toll
When approaching toll plazas along Florida's Turnpike, be alert for some congestion and be prepared to stop. Consider the following tips to ensure smooth travels along Florida's Turnpike:
  • Never get out of your vehicle at any toll plaza.
  • If you are in a SunPass-Only lane never stop. Vehicles behind you are not expecting a vehicle to stop in an automated lane.
  • Blue highway signs, located about a quarter of a mile in advance of the plaza, list toll prices for two-axle (passenger) vehicles. Overhead signs above the lane show the amount and the fee also is posted electronically at the gate.
  • At exact change lanes, wait for the green light; if the light says red, check the coin return on the collection basket. Damaged and foreign coins will be returned. As long as you have deposited the correct number of coins, even if the light stays red, continue through the lane. Customers are never expected to pay more than the posted amount. You will not receive a violation in the mail.
  • Toll plazas along the Mainline feature at least one lane staffed by an attendant 24 hours per day. If you require change, receipts or even directions, look for an overhead green sign. If you have exact change, proceed toward the lanes featuring overhead blue signs.
  • Most toll plazas on Florida's Turnpike contain special lanes marked SunPass-Only. These lanes are reserved for vehicles equipped with SunPass, the state of Florida's method of electronic toll collection. SunPass-Only lanes are identified by white and yellow signs in advance of, and eventually over the SunPass-Only lanes. A motorist who enters a SunPass Only lane, without a SunPass, may be subject to a toll violation warning or a uniform traffic citation.
    • If you feel you have passed through a SunPass-Only lane by mistake, contact the SunPass operations center directly at 888-865-5352.
    • If you are interested in becoming a SunPass customer please call 888-865-5352 or go to www.sunpass.com
  • Not all exit and entrance ramp toll plazas are staffed, so motorists should be prepared to have exact change at these interchanges, especially after 7 p.m. or on weekends. Toll collection baskets do not make change and drivers should not attempt to insert paper currency in the machinery. Quarters are preferred, but coin baskets accept any combination of nickels, dimes and quarters. You may purchase a roll of quarters from an attendant at any toll plaza along the Mainline. The collection baskets do not accept credit or debit cards and inserting them in the machine may result in the loss of or damage to the card.
  • While the northern and southern sections of Florida's Turnpike employ the coin system of toll collection, the rural area in between uses the ticket system. Motorists traveling between Three Lakes in Osceola County and Lantana in Palm Beach County will receive an electronically-created toll card showing their point of origin and time they traveled through the lane. This card is not a SunPass and you shouldn't use it to travel through SunPass-only lanes, as you'll receive a violation notice. SunPass customers may proceed through the cash/ticket lanes if marked with a SunPass logo, but must stop and wait for the gate to raise.
  • Beginning February 19, 2011, all Turnpike tolls are collected electronically between the U.S. 1 (Exit 1) and County Line Road (Exit 47) interchanges in Miami-Dade County, and cash tolls are not accepted. Motorists will use either SunPass or TOLL‑BY‑PLATE, and everyone will enjoy the benefit of paying their toll without having to stop.

SunPass is Florida’s prepaid electronic toll program. For customers without SunPass, the alternative is TOLL-BY-PLATE, a collection system that takes a photo of a vehicle’s license plate as it travels under tolling equipment installed overhead and mails a bill for the tolls incurred over a 30-day period, plus a $2.50 administrative charge, to the registered owner of the vehicle. For additional information about all-electronic tolling in Miami-Dade County, click here.