Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2010, 08:39 AM   #1
JEM

Trip Info

Best route around Balitmore tunnel, I will be going south from NJ
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM View Post
Best route around Balitmore tunnel, I will be going south from NJ
I guess you don't like the tunnel? you can go that way as long as your propane tanks are turnd off.

The other way you can go to pick up I-95 South is to go around the Baltimore Beltway in the direction of Towson and pick 95. Do have a map or a gps, if you have a map it will give you the exit number to I-95 or you can advance your gps to the route it is taking you.

The beltway route in this direction (Towson) are a lot better as far as road conditions then the other way around the Baltimore Beltway.

If you use the tunnel you will stay on I-95 South once you get to the tunnel you will pick up I-895 South once you come out of the tunnel then you will pick up I-95 South again, the reason for this is because this the connecting link between both ends to I-95 to I-695 the Balimore Beltway to go around the tunnel from each end using the the Baltimore Beltway. The Baltimore Beltway runs in a circle around Baltimore City.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:05 AM   #3

I always use the 695 beltway.
We’ll be taking this route in Dec when we head to FL for 3 weeks.
Only adds 20 mins to the trip (off peak hours that is).
I’ve gone both east & west.
West is more scenic while east takes you over a very talk bridge.
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
I guess you don't like the tunnel? you can go that way as long as your propane tanks are turnd off.
Rockwood06 you are wrong!

Here’s the link for the Maryland Transportation Authority.
Propane Regulations
First paragraph
Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) govern the transport of hazardous materials across our toll facilities. Under these regulations, vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container (maximum of 10 containers), bulk gasoline, explosives, significant amounts of radioactive materials, and other hazardous materials are prohibited from using the Fort McHenry Tunnel (I-95) or the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel (I-895). The Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695, the Baltimore Beltway) is a convenient alternative route for crossing Baltimore's Harbor.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #5

If you are traveling with a tent, coleman grill & a couple of those little 1lb bottles you’re OK.
I’ve never seen a camper with less than a 20lb bottle.

That means no tunnel!

If you were to get stopped approaching the tunnel, you have one exit & I’ve been told by coworkers that live in MD that it’s not a route you want to take normally let alone with a camper.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Happy Campers View Post
Rockwood06 you are wrong!

Here’s the link for the Maryland Transportation Authority.
Propane Regulations
First paragraph
Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) govern the transport of hazardous materials across our toll facilities. Under these regulations, vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container (maximum of 10 containers), bulk gasoline, explosives, significant amounts of radioactive materials, and other hazardous materials are prohibited from using the Fort McHenry Tunnel (I-95) or the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel (I-895). The Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695, the Baltimore Beltway) is a convenient alternative route for crossing Baltimore's Harbor.
Thank, you I stand corrected, I did know the there was a 10 lbs container limit. In the past I have seen campers using that route but setting on the side of the road, i thought they were turning there tank off this was before we started camping...... I don't use the tunnel myself and never tried to with a my camper........Sorry FRF for bad info.......Happy Campers i am glad you were there.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
Thank, you I stand corrected, I did know the there was a 10 lbs container limit. In the past I have seen campers using that route but setting on the side of the road, i thought they were turning there tank off this was before we started camping...... I don't use the tunnel myself and never tried to with a my camper........Sorry FRF for bad info.......Happy Campers i am glad you were there.
Not a problem.

I’ve been making the trek down 95 for years.
I remember when “South of the Border” was three little shacks.
I also remember being able to make it with nothing more than bathroom stops. Those days are long gone.

This propane discussion comes up at least once a month on several forums I belong to.
Everyone has the same misconception that it’s OK if you just turn off the tank.

In a class A you have a 75-100 lb tank, open or closed is still a potential bomb.
Not just the terrorist aspect but if there’s a catastrophic accident inside the tunnel & the camper is involved imagine the explosion in a confined space.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:08 AM   #8

Here's a good website/forum for I95.

The I-95 Exit Information Guide • Index page

Here's the pdf exit guide.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf i95ExitGuideEbook2008v7.pdf (1.40 MB, 23 views)