Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2022, 10:20 AM   #1

Update to NC's "No Alcohol" policy in state parks

Re. this thread ...

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ks-253665.html

This is an update and an FYI for anyone who enjoys a libation and plans to camp in an NC state park. This is not intended to provoke another moralistic and philosophic argument about how strictly one should follow laws and rules and such, for which the original was shut down by moderators. (That was not my intent there either.)

As I've booked and then modified my two reservations in NC state parks for this year, at every step of the way (website, email confirmation, modifications by phone) I've read or heard "no alcohol." Period. But at South Mountains State Park, from which I returned yesterday, their printed park brochure/trail map adds a qualification: no alcohol except at individual campsites. [Emphasis mine] So we imbibed guilt- and worry-free.

Meanwhile, I did something I should have done before posting the original thread: searched Google. From www.ncparks.gov/alcohol-restrictions:
"As of November 1, 2021, N.C. state park campgrounds will allow alcohol in individual campsites, camper cabins, and vacation cabins. State recreation area campgrounds operated under leases with the federal government (Falls Lake, Jordan Lake, and Kerr Lake) will not allow alcohol at this time. Alcohol remains prohibited on group campsites and group cabins at all state parks at this time."
NC Parks should be more consistent with their messaging on the topic.
2006 Honda GL1800 Gold Wing (the reason for the toy hauler)
Jimbo K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 11:27 AM   #2
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo K. View Post
NC Parks should be more consistent with their messaging on the topic.
Maybe contact the NC Park service with that message vs. telling us?
Old 08-19-2022, 09:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo K. View Post
Re. this thread ...

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ks-253665.html

This is an update and an FYI for anyone who enjoys a libation and plans to camp in an NC state park. This is not intended to provoke another moralistic and philosophic argument about how strictly one should follow laws and rules and such, for which the original was shut down by moderators. (That was not my intent there either.)

As I've booked and then modified my two reservations in NC state parks for this year, at every step of the way (website, email confirmation, modifications by phone) I've read or heard "no alcohol." Period. But at South Mountains State Park, from which I returned yesterday, their printed park brochure/trail map adds a qualification: no alcohol except at individual campsites. [Emphasis mine] So we imbibed guilt- and worry-free.

Meanwhile, I did something I should have done before posting the original thread: searched Google. From www.ncparks.gov/alcohol-restrictions:
"As of November 1, 2021, N.C. state park campgrounds will allow alcohol in individual campsites, camper cabins, and vacation cabins. State recreation area campgrounds operated under leases with the federal government (Falls Lake, Jordan Lake, and Kerr Lake) will not allow alcohol at this time. Alcohol remains prohibited on group campsites and group cabins at all state parks at this time."

I appreciate the update. As a newcomer to NC, I see this as a common sense policy. NC cannot unilaterally change the terms of the federal leases on the former COE campgrounds at the 3 lakes. Although I kind of wish the COE had kept the campgrounds and their Senior Pass prices.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2022 Hyundai Palisade
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 10:28 AM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Its a joke all the COE here in GA state no Alcohol allowed well go to the dumpster throw your trash in and boy you sure see lot of empty beer boxes. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 11:19 AM   #5

No alcohol

Here in TN, the law says no alcohol in any state park which also includes most lakes and rivers.

Usually, this is not strongly enforced unless there is reason to do so such as outwardly public intoxication, disturbing the peace complaint, an accident where alcohol is a contributor, etc. The result is the most likely loss of one's driver's license just as in an automobile issue. Many do not realize they are tied together. (New law.) And along with that goes suspensions, fines, and a bit of jail time.

Oh by the way the TWRA a.k.a. game wardens, have more law enforcement authority than any other law enforcement agency in the state.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 11:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Maybe contact the NC Park service with that message vs. telling us?
Hey, I am glad to know about the different policies from State to State.
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 01:00 PM   #7

Sorry for reviving and old thread, but I can't be able to find any documentation that the alcohol policy in NC State parks has changed to allow consumption at your campsite. Everything I find still says alcohol is prohibited unless a special permit is obtained. Does anyone have any specific documentation that the policy has changed? Thanks
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 05:08 PM   #8

NC parks alcohol policy

I camped at Hanging Rock state park at the end of October, and I had seen reviews warning that alcohol was prohibited in the park.
However I observed the pictured sign posted in the campground.
I sure had my fair share.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F0FD46C5-AF74-4CBB-B3A2-EE949C19C769.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	755.4 KB
ID:	284805  
Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 07:06 PM   #9

When I was in college no alcohol was allowed at football games.

Amazing how none was visible but over half the stadium crowd was "sloshed" by halftime.

Creativity is the name of the game ( in the stands anyway).

Sat next to a guy who has binoculars with eyepieces that were actually screw off caps.

Common sense and good behavior should work in just about any campsite.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 07:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
When I was in college no alcohol was allowed at football games.

Amazing how none was visible but over half the stadium crowd was "sloshed" by halftime.

Creativity is the name of the game ( in the stands anyway).

Sat next to a guy who has binoculars with eyepieces that were actually screw off caps.

Common sense and good behavior should work in just about any campsite.
Agreed... I too think what you do and what you have at your campsite is entirely your business but, just know that the " Campground Host" is out on their patrol and looking for those who are totally intoxicated.... makes for a great camping trip with family...
Old 03-15-2023, 07:55 PM   #11

I may have cocktails in the evening or wine with dinner, but it is always kept inside and not obviously shown on the outside. I'll go in to mix or refill but no bottles on the outside table.

We camped last year next to some folks where it appeared they had a full-service bar set up on the picnic table. The music was loud and the outside TV was going to nearly midnight.

Gotta confess: About midnight, I slipped outside and flipped the breaker on their power post. It got really quiet for the rest of the night.

Bob
Old 03-15-2023, 08:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
Gotta confess: About midnight, I slipped outside and flipped the breaker on their power post. It got really quiet for the rest of the night.

Bob
Nice. Were they afraid to come out and see what happened or were they already "in bed" when the random power failure occurred?
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 08:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post
Nice. Were they afraid to come out and see what happened or were they already "in bed" when the random power failure occurred?
I haven't a clue. I went in and enjoyed a nice night's sleep.

Some folks seem to think they are the only ones on the planet and can do as and when and how they please.

Perhaps next time, I'll block up their axles and remove the valve stem cores. I've witnessed that done. It is darn funny to watch what happens next.

Bob
Old 03-16-2023, 08:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
I camped at Hanging Rock state park at the end of October, and I had seen reviews warning that alcohol was prohibited in the park.
That is typical for most campgrounds. The sign says “Outside Campsite” not “Outside Camper”. Just can’t walk around with alcohol. Just be responsible and you won’t have an issue.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 09:34 PM   #15

This is why I have a Yeti style highball tumbler. I'm just drinking coffee.....
2020 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Gasser
and a couple of those Harley things
sold: 2021 Graywolf 22RR
Cruzrtwdgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 11:11 PM   #16
Retired Old Fart

Back in the day, "no alcohol" is what led to the "Red Solo cup" boom..... Just saying
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 07:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
Thanks--- Exactly what I was looking for. (In fact we are thinking of going to that exact park). Before the rule change, all docs/signage indicated any possession was not allowed.

Thanks as well to the other commenters as well. I agree that being smart and a little reserved will work in most cases. However, I have been directly involved in a couple of incidents where "overzealous" rangers thought it was their job to inspect cups/coolers and remove any and all alcohol from their park. Both times involved two families with young children and just a couple of beers-- no loud sound/music or any other shenanigans. One time we were forced to pour out our cooler full of beer (a weeks worth) under threat of arrest.
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 08:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat48 View Post
Thanks--- Exactly what I was looking for. (In fact we are thinking of going to that exact park). Before the rule change, all docs/signage indicated any possession was not allowed.

Thanks as well to the other commenters as well. I agree that being smart and a little reserved will work in most cases. However, I have been directly involved in a couple of incidents where "overzealous" rangers thought it was their job to inspect cups/coolers and remove any and all alcohol from their park. Both times involved two families with young children and just a couple of beers-- no loud sound/music or any other shenanigans. One time we were forced to pour out our cooler full of beer (a weeks worth) under threat of arrest.
Depending on the laws and park rules in that area it really IS their job to keep alcohol out of the park.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 09:03 AM   #19

I've sat quietly by the campfire drinking a beer while watching the Park Rangers and Sheriff Deputies throw the people a few sites over out. Many parks use the rule as an easy way to evict the party campers and don't hassle others that are being responsible with it.

Favorite Saying: The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys!
Draggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 09:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draggo View Post
I've sat quietly by the campfire drinking a beer while watching the Park Rangers and Sheriff Deputies throw the people a few sites over out. Many parks use the rule as an easy way to evict the party campers and don't hassle others that are being responsible with it.
How true, but stuff like that make a mockery of the law or policy. If they have a policy like that (however stupid IMO) they should enforce it for everyone.